Thread: Umberto Lenzi
View Single Post
Old 6th June 2010, 04:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I find Lenzi's work a bit hit and miss (especially his later work), but I love most of his '70s gialli, especially Seven Blood Stained Orchids, Spasmo, Oasis of Fear, Paranoia, and Eyeball.

Nightmare City is a fun cheese-fest, and for me on par with Lenzi's other prime zombie outing: Black Demons (which I know a lot of people don't really care for).

Lenzi's Cannibal Ferox, Man From Deep River and to a lesser extent Eaten Alive were very decent entries into the Cannibal genre, and even though they don't (for me) top Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust and Last Cannibal World, or Martino's Mountain of the Cannibal God they are very good all the same.

I also found Nightmare Beach to be enjoyable in a stupid, fun kind of way. It's as if he was two different people in a lot of ways though, as when you compare his mind-bending and beautiful gialli with a lot of his more cheese-induced later efforts, it's as though they were directed by completely different people.

Also, the worst of his films (that I've seen) is probably Hell's Gate: a best avoided yawn fest.