View Single Post
Old 7th June 2010, 12:00 AM
Cult Rookie

If the BBFC decides to retain the cut in INFERNO:

I was wondering if, instead of cutting the scene, Arrow could either pixellate or otherwise obscure the offending shot? It still amounts to 'censorship', but at least it wouldn't interrupt the editorial flow.

If I recall correctly, Fox released the movie on VHS many moons ago, and they 'covered' the cut by slowing down one of the surrounding shots, thereby preserving the music score which is such an important part of this particular sequence.

If it's too late for that, perhaps this could be considered for any future release of DEEP RED? Unless proof can be obtained that the lizard wasn't impaled for real, perhaps the offending shot can be pixellated rather than removed altogether? A note about this alteration can be added to the beginning of the film, or as part of the supplemental section.

Not a perfect solution, perhaps, but slightly better than removing it in its entirety. Would it satisfy the requirements of the BBFC, I wonder? I don't see why not, since it removes all visual traces of the cruelty (had we been able to hear the lizard making a sound of some kind, that might have had to be removed, too).