View Single Post
Old 15th June 2010, 11:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
An "Evil Dead" remake has been on the horizon every now and then over the last 10 years, only to disappear from the radar whenever things seem to get more serious.
While it's one of the very few defining horror classics from the 80's still lacking a "redux", I have a feeling that this one might not happen after all- because the "remake wave"- as well as the "strong horror boom" in the mainstream- is slowly but surely going down; it might not seem like that right now with a new title arriving every other week, but I don't think we'll see many more projects being announced, with not even all of the already mentioned potential "remakes" actually getting made after all, like the sometimes proposed "Silent Night, Deadly Night" redux.
We're right now at the highest mark of the "horror remake tide"- it can and will only go down from here imho, with the disappointing/mediocre box-office of many of the recent upgrades and "strong horror" entries only proving my point.

Personally, I wouldn't be so much against an "Evil Dead" remake, BUT I can only really see this work if they get a wild Japanese filmmaker like Miike and give him the needed artistic freedom to cut loose.
I agree with what you say. Miike would be a great director to have a stab at the project. Ever since I heard rumblings of a possible remake I've hoped that it was done as a straightforward nasty horror movie - none of the humour that came into it from Evil Dead 2. I remember the first time that I saw a still of the possessed girl in the cellar, black blood issuing from her mouth and those white eye contacts. Grisly. Many forget how scary the first actually was, and I sympathise with those that question how it ever could have been, but it was unsettling back in 1983.

For a remake I'd want it to be worthy of Stephen King's quote in that it has to be as nasty as possible and go back to what is scary about possessed people - something no-one appears to be able to get right. Look at Haunting in Conneticut for example.

There is absolutely no point in remaking Evil Dead as a horror comedy but I fear that is what would happen if the movie got a greenlight.

As for an Evil Dead 4, I doubt it will happen whilst Burn Notice continues it's popular run.