View Single Post
Old 13th July 2010, 04:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Neal View Post
For one reason or another I can't see myself getting tired of the more recent "gore focussed" brand of horror and I would strongly suggest that the modern likes of "Wolf Creek", the first "Saw" (which actually DOES feature characters the audience could care about), the first "Hostel" (to some fair degree), "The Collector", most of the French "gore epics", "The Descent", "Eden Lake" etc DO have their fair share of spooky, scary, unsettling scenes..
I respect your view, deamonia, but your verdict on modern horror movies focussing too much on the gore instead of the scares reminds me of tons of reviews I read about the 70's/80's wave of "splatter movies", which we consider to be classics these days....
While I also like gore movies, I do think the new trend is to focus on it alot and forget about story. Thats why movies like LTROI are such a refreshing change. Collector was good but was not that gory I dont think. Hostel 1 was pretty bad. The 2001 maniacs remake was pretty good I thought as it mixed gore and comedy.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr