Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   The James Bond Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/1021-james-bond-thread.html)

DeadAlive 15th February 2009 09:24 AM

I prefer the more serious Bond portrayals, but most of the films and the actors playing him have good points. Early Sean Connery are still my favs. Timothy Dalton was a great choice after Roger Moore, though I still think he did not get the chance to stay in the role long enough to really prove himself. "Licence To Kill" was gritty and tough with Bond getting realistically battered like never before. Something now echoed with Daniel Craig, who plays it straight, but the style of film making is not the "Bond" purists have come to love. (The Bourne influence is so obvious I'm surprised there hasn't been a law suit.) I even think Roger More was good when he started, but his films just got more rediculous and less interestiong to me as they went on. From "Moonraker" on are a joke to me. As for George Lazenby...... "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" may well be one of the most underrated, but Lazenby was certainly the most under appreciated of all the Bonds. Too many fans were upset by Connery's absence to give him a chance, hence Connery's return for "Diamonds Are Forever". As for Pierce Brosnan..... well he was Bond until the bloody awful "Die Another Day". I just hope the next Daniel Craig effort gets back to the more traditional Bond films, though somehow I can't quite see that happening. :(

eiren 17th February 2009 03:16 PM

Dalton's tougher Bond is far superior to Daniel Craig's, in my opinion. I really don't like the new Bond films. They don't feel like Bond films to me... decent actioners, but not Bond films.

WaveCrest 21st February 2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eiren (Post 22180)
Dalton's tougher Bond is far superior to Daniel Craig's, in my opinion. I really don't like the new Bond films. They don't feel like Bond films to me... decent actioners, but not Bond films.

Here here. I couldn't have put that better myself.

The Living Daylights is on ITV1 tomorrow afternoon. Bet the end credits get shortened again.

WaveCrest 20th June 2009 05:14 PM

The digital print of From Russia With Love (shown at a local cinema last Sunday) was great. You couldn't see any specks or grain at all, apart from in the stock footage in the airport control tower when Bond arrived in Istanbul.

Before From Russia With Love was shown there was a tribute to Cubby Broccolli (it's his 100th anniversary this year) by Sir Roger Moore, followed by a montage of photographs of Cubby Broccolli taken over his career. Played over this montage was Carly Simon's Nobody Does It Better (from The Spy Who Loved Me).

Can't wait to see Goldfinger tomorrow and On Here Majesty's Secret Service next Sunday.

Almar@Cult Labs 20th June 2009 05:56 PM

Argh! There was no Cubby tribute shown at my local before FRWL.

I have to admit I've always found FLWL terminally boring with the book edging it over the one 'classic' Bond film that sends me to sleep. I can hear the gasps that I could accuse the film of being dull but there we go. That said... I'd only ever seen the film on TV/video/DVD.

Seeing it on the big screen finally gave it a lease of life that changed it for me and substantially improved it as an experience. You really need to focus and get absorbed into the atmosphere of it that only the big screen can provide. As such it's great these films are getting a big screen outing.

Angel 20th June 2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 31436)
I have to admit I've always found FLWL terminally boring with the book edging it over the one 'classic' Bond film that sends me to sleep. I can hear the gasps that I could accuse the film of being dull but there we go. That said... I'd only ever seen the film on TV/video/DVD. .

I found the film dull as well. The only Connery Bond I didn't like.

Almar@Cult Labs 20th June 2009 06:12 PM

Ok so that's two of us against perceived wisdom...

vincenzo 20th June 2009 06:13 PM

Diamonds Are Forever is probably my least fave official Connery Bond.

Almar@Cult Labs 20th June 2009 06:16 PM

I loved it as a kid but as the years rolled on I started to see how strained it all seemed - really quite a weird effort. It's sold gold next to Never Say Never Again though - good god that film is awful.

Angel 20th June 2009 06:16 PM

What was your favourite Connery Bond, Vince?

Diamonds are Forever used to be mine though I now prefer You Only Live Twice.