Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree349Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #501  
Old 21st February 2020, 11:02 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

If Eon were any use to man nor beast they'd have told Billy Caterwaul to go back to her bedroom to learn how to sing and gone with the song we are demanding in our millions.

Sisters of Mercy performing No Time to Cry.

Hell, they'd have only needed to change a single word in the lyrics.

Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 21st February 2020, 11:49 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default



Win!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
__________________



"It's come off!"

"I'm no philosopher ... I'm the guy .. who gets the firewood"
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 21st February 2020, 11:58 PM
trebor8273's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Blofeld, a great character? Which one? He was a hand stroking a cat, then played by three different actors in completely different ways and finally dumped unceremoniously down a chimney in a comedy throwaway... nothing great or respectful about that and a demonstration that, although fun, the old franchise was often poorly written with no respect for the audience's intelligence.

also having a rant about feminism is not valid film criticism in itself. all films reflect the times they are made in and in regard to Bond you are overstating the case. after all, after seeing his latest lay shot in the head his reaction was 'shocking waste of scotch' - hardly progressive.

every genre forum on the net is being infiltrated by the 'culture wars' mafia who have there own agenda whichever side of the fence you sit on. lets keep this one grounded and respectful. happy to hear a well reasoned argument with examples but anyone shouting an opinion should audition as a Doctor Who writer

Totally agree terribly written character. As you say most of the time it's just some guy stroking a pussy! Too notch writing thier.

Also the new films not out yet so unless hivemind has a time machine how does he know what it's like, I watch it with an open mind .

I think hivemind must just watch the same dozen or so things over again , while stroking a white cat and muttering the good old days over and over.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 22nd February 2020, 08:20 AM
iank's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: QLD, Australia
Default

He's right, though.
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:02 AM
hivemind's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Watched THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS this week.
Class,both of them.

Pity Dalton didn't do more than two films.
License To Kill tonight methinks.......
Good man.

It's always nice to see a member know quality Bond when he sees it.

I remember in 1989 going to see Licence To Kill at the cinema in London. There was hardly anyone there. United International Pictures had a hell of a time trying to sell the film to audiences. The poster artwork was rather uninspiring, and Dalton was so under appreciated by even hardcore Bond fans at the time. There's never been a better Bond like Dalton, since Sean Connery took on the role. Dalton fills the criteria perfectly. Even back then I enjoyed his interpretation of James Bond. I'm certain Ian Fleming would of been highly enviousness of Dalton's brilliant portrayal of 007. Every year I watch Licence to Kill. And I never get bored watching the film. Nicely paced, great theme by Gladys Knight, another great song "Dirty Love", and some really catchy women. Dalton was Bond.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:08 AM
hivemind's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
He's right, though.
Nothing like being a lone voice in the wilderness.

It's quite refreshing.
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:11 AM
The Reaper Man@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glasgow
Default

As Iíve said numerous times....

Best song.
Hands down.
No contest.

__________________

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:18 AM
hivemind's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Totally agree terribly written character. As you say most of the time it's just some guy stroking a pussy! Too notch writing thier.

Also the new films not out yet so unless hivemind has a time machine how does he know what it's like, I watch it with an open mind .

I think hivemind must just watch the same dozen or so things over again , while stroking a white cat and muttering the good old days over and over.
Well, I do model myself on Francisco Scaramanga, without the extra nipple, rather than Blofeld. I'm not keen on cats unfortunately, bring me out in a rash. If I'm Scaramanga, I'll have to call you Nick Nack trebor. My trusty servant. BETTER GET THE CHILLED DON PERION FROM THE GOLD DRINKS CABINET NIK NACK.
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:24 AM
hivemind's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
As Iíve said numerous times....

Best song.
Hands down.
No contest.

Geat score by Marvin Hamlisch as well
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:40 AM
hivemind's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Blofeld, a great character? Which one? He was a hand stroking a cat, then played by three different actors in completely different ways and finally dumped unceremoniously down a chimney in a comedy throwaway... nothing great or respectful about that and a demonstration that, although fun, the old franchise was often poorly written with no respect for the audience's intelligence.

also having a rant about feminism is not valid film criticism in itself. all films reflect the times they are made in and in regard to Bond you are overstating the case. after all, after seeing his latest lay shot in the head his reaction was 'shocking waste of scotch' - hardly progressive.

every genre forum on the net is being infiltrated by the 'culture wars' mafia who have there own agenda whichever side of the fence you sit on. lets keep this one grounded and respectful. happy to hear a well reasoned argument with examples but anyone shouting an opinion should audition as a Doctor Who writer
Oh God!

Donald Pleasence of course. Blofeld as a character certainly got treated more as a cartoonish after thought as Bond progressed in the later years. I would have Pleasence's Blofeld over the bland Christoph Waltz Blofeld in Spectre. Blofeld was a classic Machiavellian portrayal. Pleasence certainly responded to the underlying nature of how Fleming wrote him. You Only Live Twice brings Blofeld's shadowy nature out, whereas Spectre just shows Blofeld as a rather bland, under developed Blofeld, that has no real current of evil in him. I wasn't convinced by Waltz as Blofeld one bit. Waltz doesn't seem that interested. Just get a nice hefty pay cheque, and that's that. Probably a lot to do with the writing of the character in Spectre. MAFIA!!! Rather strong words from you Rob. No. Don't think so. I just have strong views that often don't fit into the hivemind mentality of some forum members. Good try though. I'll give you that.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.