Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree550Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Oh God!

Donald Pleasence of course. Blofeld as a character certainly got treated more as a cartoonish after thought as Bond progressed in the later years. I would have Pleasence's Blofeld over the bland Christoph Waltz Blofeld in Spectre. Blofeld was a classic Machiavellian portrayal. Pleasence certainly responded to the underlying nature of how Fleming wrote him. You Only Live Twice brings Blofeld's shadowy nature out, whereas Spectre just shows Blofeld as a rather bland, under developed Blofeld, that has no real current of evil in him. I wasn't convinced by Waltz as Blofeld one bit. Waltz doesn't seem that interested. Just get a nice hefty pay cheque, and that's that. Probably a lot to do with the writing of the character in Spectre. MAFIA!!! Rather strong words from you Rob. No. Don't think so. I just have strong views that often don't fit into the hivemind mentality of some forum members. Good try though. I'll give you that.
1. You selected one of 3 portrayals to prove a point. Hardly an endorsement of the character. Pleasance is my favourite too. Doesn't mean there can never be another interpretation though.

2. You know nothing about Waltz's mindset so the criticism is uninformed and insulting in regard to the pay check. You thought the performance 'bland'. It's a fair point but I'd say he was underplaying which is a valid way to go given that all past portrayals had been more in your face. I'm not endorsing his interpretation by the way. I think you are probably right about placing the fault with the writers. It's hardly the worst villain ever though. Too much is overstated when it comes to 'fan' criticism.

3. Strong words from me? I think not, I always measure my words carefully. When I referred to 'mafia' I was careful to blame both sides of what I consider equally extreme views. It's ok to have strong views but they should be presented coherently with evidence and considered opinion. Not presented as a rant because the world around you is not proceeding as you like it.

PS here is a challenge. Above you present Licence to Kill as a good example of Bond at its best. Before that you bemoaned the fact that Bond was being too feminist. And yet LtK presented one of the first and best strong female leads in Carey Lowell. How do you square your circle? Happy to hear your thoughts but please don't shout at me... convince me?

Last edited by Rob4; 22nd February 2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 4th March 2020, 05:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

New James Bond film release put back by seven months

The release of the new James Bond film has been put back by seven months as coronavirus continues to spread.

The producers said they had moved the release of No Time To Die from April to November after "careful consideration and thorough evaluation of the global theatrical marketplace".

The announcement comes a day after the founders of two 007 fan sites called on the film studios to delay its release.

It will now come out in the UK on 12 November, and in the US on 25 November.

No Time To Die, which is due to be Daniel Craig's final appearance as the British secret service agent, had been due for release on 3 April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th March 2020, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
New James Bond film release put back by seven months

The release of the new James Bond film has been put back by seven months as coronavirus continues to spread.

The producers said they had moved the release of No Time To Die from April to November after "careful consideration and thorough evaluation of the global theatrical marketplace".

The announcement comes a day after the founders of two 007 fan sites called on the film studios to delay its release.

It will now come out in the UK on 12 November, and in the US on 25 November.

No Time To Die, which is due to be Daniel Craig's final appearance as the British secret service agent, had been due for release on 3 April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51744374

Wow. Seven months is a bit extreme (there might not be much of an audience left for it then!)
Old 4th March 2020, 09:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Even though I've been to the cinema this week, I don't think this is the best time for hundreds of people to congregate in (relatively) small rooms with air that is circulated around the entire building.

If this is a decision based on safety, then that is perfectly understandable, just as it is if they think that people would rather stay at home fancied in a confined environment with someone with a cough.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

I must admit, I don't fancy potentially risking my health for anything, but especially not modern cinema!
Old 5th March 2020, 11:09 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
Wow. Seven months is a bit extreme (there might not be much of an audience left for it then!)
And then what happens to the other blockbusters? Could end up with a real entertainment hole in the coming months.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
And then what happens to the other blockbusters? Could end up with a real entertainment hole in the coming months.
It's setting an awful precedent, you're right.
Old 5th March 2020, 12:43 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
It's setting an awful precedent, you're right.
Might give smaller films a chance - assuming people aren't too scared to go to the cinema. Mind you, the cinema near me is so sticky there must be all sorts already waiting to attack any passing respiratory system.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 5th March 2020, 03:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

They’re re-releasing 28 Days Later to install confidence back into the cinema going public......

Really though,it’s ****ing grown arms and legs,once again fuelled by media frenzy.
Here’s an example,delivery guy comes into the shop today and asked me if I wanted to sign his phone with my finger as usual......and when I asked why wouldn’t I,he replied no one has signed their name today due to the risk of catching Corona virus....

Anyway,Scotland’s too cauld for it to breed anyway.......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th March 2020, 08:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Might give smaller films a chance - assuming people aren't too scared to go to the cinema. Mind you, the cinema near me is so sticky there must be all sorts already waiting to attack any passing respiratory system.
God knows they need it.

Never ceased to amaze me that really decent bypassed my local cinema in London but Harry Potter was showing on six screens!
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!