Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree550Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2011, 03:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

I didnt mind Tomorrow it was the 3rd Bond film i had seen at the time (the 1st being Licence To Kill and the 2nd was Goldeneye)
Old 21st December 2011, 03:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

TND deserves some credit for the casting of Vincent Schiavelli in a (sadly) minor role . . .
Old 21st December 2011, 04:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
I didnt mind Tomorrow it was the 3rd Bond film i had seen at the time (the 1st being Licence To Kill and the 2nd was Goldeneye)
Same here!
Old 21st December 2011, 04:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

... it also gets plus points for being the first one to be scored by David Arnold, going back to classy John Barry style orchestration after the godawful score that plagued Goldeneye . . .
Old 21st December 2011, 04:13 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
... it also gets plus points for being the first one to be scored by David Arnold, going back to classy John Barry style orchestration after the godawful score that plagued Goldeneye . . .
Jesus! I can't stand Arnold or his music. It seems to me that he breaks out the Bond theme at every opportunity he can (probably no more than the earlier films though, and just my imagination because of my feelings).
Old 21st December 2011, 04:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Really? I live Arnold's scores and really dig the retro riffs. Was really unimpressed with the usually brilliant Eric Serra and his score for GoldenEye though.
Old 21st December 2011, 04:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

The funny thing about his TND score is that it uses the rejected title song by KD Lang as the main theme running throughout (the one that plays over the end credits). And yeah, doubt the Bond theme features any more than in the older films. Think his music suited the solid, play it safe nature of the Brosnan era. Can't remember what his stuff for the Craig films have been like. To be honest I lost interest in Bond in general after Die Another Day . . .
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I find Tomorrow Never Dies enjoyable when I watch it (great pre-credits sequence!) but fairly forgettable afterwards. Goldeneye had a better story and better characters. Eric Serra's score has some beautiful pieces of work within it, but I hate the orchestral samples that he used in places, the tank chase for example. The end song sounds as if it was the intended end title for Leon, as it shares the same theme. If you recall, they used a Sting song "Shape of My Heart" for the Leon end credits. I've not seen this qualified anywhere.
For me, TWIME is the Brosnan James Bond film. It has another exciting opening sequence in the boat chase along the Thames. His relationship with Elecktra echoes that of his relationship with Tracey in OHMSS. I always thought that the writers had done that on purpose but I've never read anything to back that theory up.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

For me Serra's score for Goldeneye is ruined because of a lack of use of the Bond theme during the film's action sequences.

By the way, whats TWIME Wayfarer?
wayfarer likes this.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
For me Serra's score for Goldeneye is ruined because of a lack of use of the Bond theme during the film's action sequences.
..and also because it makes me want to hit mute from the opening fanfare onwards

BTW, guess what's on ITV tonight . . . ?

Like this? Share it using the links below!