Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree550Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2020, 06:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think it's more about ticket sales than anything political, so a screenplay which is likely to lead to a film which appeals to a wide audience is going to be much more appealing to a studio than one which would have an audience almost exclusively of middle-aged and elderly men wishing they were watching something very similar to Never Say Never Again or The Living Daylights.

I guess that most people who go to the cinema are entertained as I was when I saw Little Women, 1917, The Personal History of David Copperfield, or anything else in recent months. If the trailer is in the to go by, I'll enjoy No Time To Die and hope you do too.
WHAT!!!
Do you honestly think that Disney gives a fig about how it's shifest Star Wars Trilogy does in terms of ticket sales? They couldn't really give a shit. All these major corporations have multi-billions in revenue, and have plenty of room for pushing a political agenda. It really doesn't matter if you lose a couple of million here or there. What matters is that the message(s) are heard and those who are receptive to it take it on board. Warner Media, Comcast etc don't really care what people think. You just enjoy being given your spoon fed gunk of whatever it is they want you to digest. I certainly won't be giving Comcast my hard earned cash when the Bond film comes out in April. Instead I'll stay at home and watch Goldeneye. Bond with REAL BALLS sunshine.
Old 14th February 2020, 06:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think it's more about ticket sales than anything political, so a screenplay which is likely to lead to a film which appeals to a wide audience is going to be much more appealing to a studio than one which would have an audience almost exclusively of middle-aged and elderly men wishing they were watching something very similar to Never Say Never Again or The Living Daylights.

I guess that most people who go to the cinema are entertained as I was when I saw Little Women, 1917, The Personal History of David Copperfield, or anything else in recent months. If the trailer is in the to go by, I'll enjoy No Time To Die and hope you do too.
Never Say Never Again? Are you serious?

That's a fake Bond, even more fake than Craig's.

The Living Daylights has Bond at his least misogynistic (No sex or double entendres at all) of all the films in the entire series so that was a really bad example.

The trailer i saw for No Time to Die a few weeks ago made the film look very good, so i do look forward to seeing it.
Old 14th February 2020, 06:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
WHAT!!!
Do you honestly think that Disney gives a fig about how it's shifest Star Wars Trilogy does in terms of ticket sales? They couldn't really give a shit. All these major corporations have multi-billions in revenue, and have plenty of room for pushing a political agenda. It really doesn't matter if you lose a couple of million here or there. What matters is that the message(s) are heard and those who are receptive to it take it on board. Warner Media, Comcast etc don't really care what people think. You just enjoy being given your spoon fed gunk of whatever it is they want you to digest. I certainly won't be giving Comcast my hard earned cash when the Bond film comes out in April. Instead I'll stay at home and watch Goldeneye. Bond with REAL BALLS sunshine.
The Walt Disney Company is, like every corporation, concerned about its bottom line first and foremost. That's why it has done everything it can to placate the Chinese government to exploit the massive market there.
Old 14th February 2020, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
The Walt Disney Company is, like every corporation, concerned about its bottom line first and foremost. That's why it has done everything it can to placate the Chinese government to exploit the massive market there.
Every corporation want's to squeeze more money out of another territory, like China, but do you honestly think Bob Iger, and the banks who control these corporations give a hoot. Not really. When Comcast and Disney have huge theme parks and also control the music and TV industry, I think it's all just theoretical clap trap. If you had multi-billions in your bank balance, you wouldn't be too concerned at night.
Old 14th February 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't have a problem with the way women are or have ever been portrayed in Bond films. I dislike the way the films have become glorified, joyless, Bourne copycats which drag on thanks to a lack of action and bum numbing running times.

To me, Mission Impossible is the new Bond - fun, thrilling spectacles.
Couldn't agree more. The MI movies are more like Bond movies nowadays than any of the Craig borefests!
Old 21st February 2020, 08:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS this week.
Class,both of them.

Pity Dalton didn't do more than two films.
License To Kill tonight methinks.......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st February 2020, 09:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Didn't Ben~Hur (1959) have more drama, spectacle and action combined than Spectre. And what about Blofeld? What did they do to that great character.

It's bloody Teen Agent tonight then....
Blofeld, a great character? Which one? He was a hand stroking a cat, then played by three different actors in completely different ways and finally dumped unceremoniously down a chimney in a comedy throwaway... nothing great or respectful about that and a demonstration that, although fun, the old franchise was often poorly written with no respect for the audience's intelligence.

also having a rant about feminism is not valid film criticism in itself. all films reflect the times they are made in and in regard to Bond you are overstating the case. after all, after seeing his latest lay shot in the head his reaction was 'shocking waste of scotch' - hardly progressive.

every genre forum on the net is being infiltrated by the 'culture wars' mafia who have there own agenda whichever side of the fence you sit on. lets keep this one grounded and respectful. happy to hear a well reasoned argument with examples but anyone shouting an opinion should audition as a Doctor Who writer
Old 21st February 2020, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sorry, but this is Bond you are all getting het up about aye?

James Bond, the fantasy character, yes?
He's not a role model and never was .
I know someone who has never seen any of them. Is he any less of a human? Guess?

Here's a tip. Don't watch it. And stop whining Hivemind. I come on here to get away from moaning "people" on other platforms.

NEXT!!

(I think the new song is shite btw )

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st February 2020, 10:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Sorry, but this is Bond you are all getting het up about aye?

James Bond, the fantasy character, yes?
He's not a role model and never was .
I know someone who has never seen any of them. Is he any less of a human? Guess?

Here's a tip. Don't watch it. And stop whining Hivemind. I come on here to get away from moaning "people" on other platforms.

NEXT!!

(I think the new song is shite btw )
[i quite like it... well the first half anyway]
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 21st February 2020, 10:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
[i quite like it... well the first half anyway]

Me, I'd be happy with Pharmakon doing a Bond tune.
Rob4 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!