All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2011, 09:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Yep,Time Slip is great,thinking of upgrading to the 2-discer...
Anyone knows what exactly the extras are on that one?
I haven't got the 2 DVD edition of Time Slip, but I've seen screenshots and the image quality is superior to other English-friendly editions. A fine film in my opinion, although you can't really go wrong when it comes to Sonny Chiba.

As for special features I think the 2 DVD set features interviews with Chiba and some other cast members on the second DVD.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I've never seen a Sonny Chiba film and yes I am extremely embarrassed about that, where's a good place to start?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
I would rather watch Sonny Chiba in action than any other martial arts stars including Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung or Bruce Lee. Although I do love their films too.

As for a place to start Ant, I would say that The Killing Machine is one of his best; not to mention one of the greatest martial arts films ever made in my estimation.
antmumford likes this.
Old 8th September 2011, 02:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
I would rather watch Sonny Chiba in action than any other martial arts stars including Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung or Bruce Lee. Although I do love their films too.

As for a place to start Ant, I would say that The Killing Machine is one of his best; not to mention one of the greatest martial arts films ever made in my estimation.
I love Bruce Lee! ...Closely followed by Chiba but Lee is definitely the best.
Most Jackie Chan's early stuff is great (Very fun) stuff like Wheels On Meals, My favourite Jackie Chan film. His more recent stuff though, Most of the English speaking films...LAME!
Old 8th September 2011, 12:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:

Cheers for the heads up, looking forward to this one then if it's one of the best martial arts films ever

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 8th September 2011, 02:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Streetfighter is classic but I think The Killing Machine is a good place to start too. It has a bit more emotional depth.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 8th September 2011, 02:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A great way to build up your Sonny Chiba collection would be to get hold of some of the better quality box-sets that are available. The downside is that many of them are now out-of-print. I was lucky enough to pick the better ones up for ridiculously cheap prices a couple of years ago, but prices have since risen considerably.

Anyway I would recommend the following:

Lethal Chiba [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]: Amazon.co.uk: Sonny Chiba: Film & TV
Sonny Chiba: Masutatsu Oyama Trilogy DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Sonny Chiba: Film & TV
Samurai Collection Featuring Sonny Chiba DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Sonny Chiba: Film & TV
Sonny Chiba Collection DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Sonny Chiba: Film & TV
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...s_ohs_product_

This one is also worth consideration, although one of the Yakuza Deka films was trimmed very slightly by the BBFC:

Sonny Chiba Collection Volume 1 [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Sonny Chiba: Film & TV
Old 8th September 2011, 02:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
Streetfighter is classic but I think The Killing Machine is a good place to start too. It has a bit more emotional depth.
The Streetfighter series of films are great though and are some of the best action-oriented films that I've ever seen.

There is something so potent about '70s Japanese exploitation cinema.
Old 8th September 2011, 02:39 PM
Cult Addict

I can't believe that no one has mentioned that he is a legit hard man, training under such masters as Sensi Oyama and Soke Hatsumi. I would love to see him take on (and wipe the floor with) Seagal.
Old 8th September 2011, 06:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Streetfighter series of films are great though and are some of the best action-oriented films that I've ever seen.

There is something so potent about '70s Japanese exploitation cinema.
Fantastic.Chiba's ultimate films IMO.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th September 2011, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I wish that more of his films from that golden period were available in English-friendly and officially licensed editions. Mind you, I would also like to see more films directed by Teruo Ishii and Norifumi Suzuki and the like released as well.

Like this? Share it using the links below!