Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2009, 09:58 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The Sonny Chiba Thread

Shinichi Chiba,born 1939 Fukuoka Japan earned his first black belt in karate after studying under Masutatsu Oyama,a Grand Master in the arts.Discovered on a talent show at the dawn of the sixties,this led to his affiliation with kung fu action epics.Taking TV roles and adverts during the rest of the decade,the seventies saw him starting up his own martial arts academy.After the international breakthrough of ENTER THE DRAGON,Chiba,(Now using the name 'Sonny') had his first real hit with THE STREET FIGHTER.This led to numerous action roles,and he was probably the premier action icon in the seventies and eighties in Japan.
Chiba starred in over 125 movies for Toei Studios,and in the nineties had roles in such films as BATTLE ROYALE II,and was somewhat brought back to westerner's attention,when Tarrantino made him a hero of Clarence (Christian Slater) in TRUE ROMANCE.Remember the triple bill he goes to watch on his birthday?
An excellent choice to play Hanzo the sword maker in his KILL BILL opus,Tarrantino knows talent when he sees it.
Oh and btw,the banana-chinned genius also used one of Chiba's lines and adopted it for Samuel L Jackson's Jules in PULP FICTION....'And you will know my name is.....'
What prompted me to start this thread?Well I've just recently watched the STREET FIGHTER and RETURN OF THE STREET FIGHTER,which in turn convinced me to buy his two box sets,containing the excellent BULLET TRAIN and GOLGO 13.Optimum have done an incredible job of the transfers.
Any other Chiba fans on these boards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonny_Chiba_The_Street_Fighter.JPG (37.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Thestreetfighter.jpg (99.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Streetfighterlastrevenge.jpg (38.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 423px-BR2_DVDCover_TartanAsiaExtreme.jpg (87.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Fukkatsu-no-hi.jpg (25.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Kill_bill_vol_one_ver.jpg (28.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 398px-Sonny_Chiba.jpg (42.5 KB, 2 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th February 2009, 09:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I quite like Chiba & I've seen the Streetfighter films a few times but I've still to pick up the Optimum boxed set.I also like G.I Samurai which I do own on r1.I can remember renting the precerts of Samurai Reincarnation & Ninja Wars on VTC as well as The Bushido Blade (Thorn EMI) in the good old days.I may also pick up the r1 dvd of the full version of Virus (1980) as this is supposed to be the best way to see the film.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:29 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Virus is a pretty enjoyable film despite the length. Great cast and some excellent effects too. Avoid the shorter cut at all costs. It's incomprehensible.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Virus is a pretty enjoyable film despite the length. Great cast and some excellent effects too. Avoid the shorter cut at all costs. It's incomprehensible.
I know !.I've seen it on the old Intervision video & Boulevard dvd versions.I bet the r1 looks nicer too.
Old 12th February 2009, 06:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I quite like Sonny Chiba, and a few of his films are currently on my rather long rental list. The Streetfighter films are classic, though the first two, "The Streetfighter" and "Return Of The Streetfighter" are by far the best. Worth checking out also are "Yakuza Deker", "G.I. Samurai" and my personal favourite, "The Killing Machine". I wasn't that impressed with "The Bullet Train" though.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 13th February 2009, 11:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I also have the r1 SISTER STREETFIGHTER collection.I think Chiba appeared in the first.
Old 16th February 2009, 12:16 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Finished watching Golgo 13-cracking film.
As for Virus,I have the DVD which is unwatchableIt makes Vipco's transfers look like Blu Ray.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th September 2009, 08:29 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Managed to complete Chiba's classic Streetfighter trilogy the other night with THE STREETFIGHTER'S LAST REVENGE,a fitting ending to a cracking trilogy.

Old Tsurugi,he was a likeable bastard wasn't he?

Old 9th September 2009, 07:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Finally got to see "Golgo 13" and it's quite good. I'm gonna gave to see those "Streetfighter" films again now. It's been a few years since I've watched them.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 9th September 2009, 09:47 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Managed to complete Chiba's classic Streetfighter trilogy the other night with THE STREETFIGHTER'S LAST REVENGE,a fitting ending to a cracking trilogy.

Old Tsurugi,he was a likeable bastard wasn't he?

Reaper,I think I may be your long lost brother lol.I bought the Streetfighter boxset the other day and recieved it yesterday.Damn spooky

Like this? Share it using the links below!