Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2013, 10:58 PM
Cult Master

Not seen the latest one yet, but personally, I thought parts 1 - 4 were ALL highly entertaining films

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th February 2014, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Die Hard: Fantastic movie. Not my favourite action film but its definitely in my top 10. Willis is fantastic as is Rickman and the rest. This was also before an age of CGI, and its more than clear here as everything looks brilliant. 10/10

Die Hard 2: Again a really good movie. Its not (quite) as good as the first but the action delivers and the final fight on the wing of the airplane is great. 9/10

Die Hard 3/Die Hard With a Vengeance: Solid sequel that takes the series in a different direction. It makes up for its lack of action with the best story in the series and the whole thing with the tasks is a highlight, especially with the chemistry between Jackson and Willis. A 10/10 film that while may be inferior to the original in terms of action, flourishes with a superior plot.

Die Hard 4/Die Hard 4.0: I don't feel like I can judge it at this time. The last time I saw it fully was years ago. I tried to watch it again a month ago but my disk wasn't working and I only got to the first gunfight before it broke completely. I remember liking it though.

Die Hard 5/A Good Day to Die Hard: Ignoring the 4th one as I didn't mark it, this one is definitely inferior to the original trilogy. It's entertaining though, i'll give it that. And the whole father/son thing didn't bother me. It wasn't as good as Indy and his Dad in Last Crusade, but it wasn't annoying to watch and Jai shows promise as an actor (he's going to be in Terminator Genesis). It relied on CGI to much though. And the villains sucked. The twist was also kind of easy to guess. But it wasn't bad as i wasn't bored. 6/10.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:12 PM
Active Cultist

Dislike some of the sequels more and more as time goes by.The first one is a classic and still holds well to this day.I'd say it was McTiernan who got it right the second time with Die Hard With a Vengeance.We probably will have to suffer Die Hard With Old People and Die Hard With Your Wheelchair before it's done.
Old 4th March 2014, 01:29 PM
Active Cultist

Maybe the big problem with the sequels is that they always try to top the previous ones in terms of the action spectacle and holds to the same tired terrorism/heist plots.How about a day in the streets with some gritty crime story? McClane is such a cool cop character, but nowadays you can't even say '****' anymore.When compared to the movies from '80 and '90, with the PG-13 rating nowadays it's all about big blasts and a lot of noise, no guts.I would like to see a return to the hard hitting characters of the 70's, no knights in a shining armour.I'm happy to see Marv back in the new Sin City movie, my favourite character from recent Hollywood flicks.We need more blood, guts and f-bombs, before the big budget action cinema drops dead.
Old 15th October 2015, 12:54 PM
Cult Master

Die Hard 6 Being Planned With A Young John McClane

Old 15th October 2015, 01:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Kind of defeats the purpose of the first film's McClane being the average everyman as opposed to an all-out action hero.
Old 9th December 2020, 07:51 AM
Cult Master

Die Hard: The Hastings years!

Old 9th December 2020, 09:14 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Perish Harde, indeed.

I would have put 'thou' instead of 'thy'.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 10th December 2020, 11:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Die Hard: The Hastings years!

Cheers Susan just about spat my coffee out with laughter
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 24th December 2020, 04:09 PM
Cult Master

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!