Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2020, 10:51 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Default Cynthia Rothrock

I used to love Cynthia's films back in the vhs days any fans of her work she had some amazing martial arts skills .I was looking around online last night her films seem pretty easy to get a hold of so gonna pick up some of her Hong Kong stuff.
Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

What a good idea!!!

I've had a lot of fun watching the diminuitive wonder kicking folk all across the globe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CR.jpg (17.1 KB, 3 views)
Nordicdusk and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th January 2020, 12:13 PM
Cult Master

I was watching this on Netflix last night its really good and funny the way stunts were done in Hong Kong. Cynthia was interviewed about her career and how in Hong Kong the directors would make her hit people harder and for real and the people she would be fighting asking her to stop hitting them

iron-fists-and-kung-fu-kicks.jpg
Old 13th January 2020, 12:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted!! That sounds like fun methinks ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th January 2020, 02:33 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Noted!! That sounds like fun methinks ....
Yeah it's interesting the rise of shaw brothers blaxploitation cross over and American rip offs good stuff.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 13th January 2020, 03:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

She is a good martial artist and decent leading lady actress, last film I saw her in was Lady Expendable and she has aged well.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 13th January 2020, 05:37 PM
Cult Master

16903.jpg

Ex CIA agent Kathy Gallagher is in Indonesia trying to track down arms dealer Ludvig Hauptman the man who murdered her husband on their wedding day. Kathy finds him in a night club surrounded by his goons but she decides against any revenge until he has less men around him but she is captured beaten and brutalised by Ludvigs men and dumped on a quite road at the edge of the jungle. She is rescued by a kid and his mute grandfather who nurses her back to health and trains her in the way of the dragon so she can repay the scumbags that left her for dead and stole her husband from her.

Lady Dragon gets off to a flying start with Kathy kicking ass right off the bath but then it slows down with some really dragged out montage scenes during her recovery in the jungle but for the final 30 minutes it's all action again high speed chases stunts crazy crashes betrayal and some good fight scenes. The dialogue is really really bad .......

You,re dead and paybacks a bitch , nothing very very good or very very bad lasts very very long amongst the highlights

Not the best but not the worst but during some of the fights the camera work is terrible panning around object blocking the view or going too close stopping you seeing the whole thing.

Decent but quite flawed.

5/10
Old 13th January 2020, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted all the same. The later ones can be ... interesting I find

[B]
Old 13th January 2020, 07:02 PM
Cult Master

55977_1_front.jpg

Tracy Pride is an FBI agent working in Hong Kong with her partner Dragon but she is dragged back to her hometown in the states to take down big banker Jason Slade for extortion and murder. Tracy teams up with her sister Joyce who is also trained in high level martial arts.

The acting is hilarious and the dialogue is equally hilarious. The fight scenes are fast paced and there are plenty of them but they are very short and very very random. The have more of a feel of the old chinese early shaw brothers films more like a dance than a fight but i really enjoy the beauty and skill of that style. Slade himself is great as the film goes on he starts to act crazier and crazier starting off as a yuppy banker type and morphing into a roided up maniac and he has all the worst lines in the film all to himself too. Then we have Jake Armstrong the poundland Eddie Murphy i had to look up IMDb to see was it actually him the guy was wearing massive shades for most of the film it was hard to make him out but he looks like his twin

Sadly Cynthia Rothrock isn't in this one much seems like they just used her name to flog the film. As usual when she is in it she has some great fight scenes but Donna Jason who plays her sister is actually skilled enough to carry the film alone.

Overall very entertaining lots of fighting the plot twists are a bit all over the place at times but i'm only here for bad acting and ass kicking.

7/10

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 13th January 2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 221953

Tracy Pride is an FBI agent working in Hong Kong with her partner Dragon but she is dragged back to her hometown in the states to take down big banker Jason Slade for extortion and murder. Tracy teams up with her sister Joyce who is also trained in high level martial arts.

The acting is hilarious and the dialogue is equally hilarious. The fight scenes are fast paced and there are plenty of them but they are very short and very very random. The have more of a feel of the old chinese early shaw brothers films more like a dance than a fight but i really enjoy the beauty and skill of that style. Slade himself is great as the film goes on he starts to act crazier and crazier starting off as a yuppy banker type and morphing into a roided up maniac and he has all the worst lines in the film all to himself too. Then we have Jake Armstrong the poundland Eddie Murphy i had to look up IMDb to see was it actually him the guy was wearing massive shades for most of the film it was hard to make him out but he looks like his twin

Sadly Cynthia Rockroth isn't in this one much seems like they just used her name to flog the film. As usual when she is in it she has some great fight scenes but Donna Jason who plays her sister is actually skilled enough to carry the film alone.

Overall very entertaining lots of fighting the plot twists are a bit all over the place at times but i'm only here for bad acting and ass kicking.

7/10
It's between this and undefeatable as my fave rothrock film

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!