Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   Cynthia Rothrock (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/13976-cynthia-rothrock.html)

Nordicdusk 13th January 2020 09:51 AM

Cynthia Rothrock

I used to love Cynthia's films back in the vhs days any fans of her work she had some amazing martial arts skills .I was looking around online last night her films seem pretty easy to get a hold of so gonna pick up some of her Hong Kong stuff.

Demoncrat 13th January 2020 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What a good idea!!!

I've had a lot of fun watching the diminuitive wonder kicking folk all across the globe.

Nordicdusk 13th January 2020 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was watching this on Netflix last night its really good and funny the way stunts were done in Hong Kong. Cynthia was interviewed about her career and how in Hong Kong the directors would make her hit people harder and for real and the people she would be fighting asking her to stop hitting them :lol:

Attachment 221941

Demoncrat 13th January 2020 11:33 AM

Noted!! That sounds like fun methinks .... :nod::pop2:

Nordicdusk 13th January 2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 618580)
Noted!! That sounds like fun methinks .... :nod::pop2:

Yeah it's interesting the rise of shaw brothers blaxploitation cross over and American rip offs good stuff.

MrBarlow 13th January 2020 02:57 PM

She is a good martial artist and decent leading lady actress, last film I saw her in was Lady Expendable and she has aged well.

Nordicdusk 13th January 2020 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 221950

Ex CIA agent Kathy Gallagher is in Indonesia trying to track down arms dealer Ludvig Hauptman the man who murdered her husband on their wedding day. Kathy finds him in a night club surrounded by his goons but she decides against any revenge until he has less men around him but she is captured beaten and brutalised by Ludvigs men and dumped on a quite road at the edge of the jungle. She is rescued by a kid and his mute grandfather who nurses her back to health and trains her in the way of the dragon so she can repay the scumbags that left her for dead and stole her husband from her.

Lady Dragon gets off to a flying start with Kathy kicking ass right off the bath but then it slows down with some really dragged out montage scenes during her recovery in the jungle but for the final 30 minutes it's all action again high speed chases stunts crazy crashes betrayal and some good fight scenes. The dialogue is really really bad .......

You,re dead and paybacks a bitch , nothing very very good or very very bad lasts very very long amongst the highlights :lol:

Not the best but not the worst but during some of the fights the camera work is terrible panning around object blocking the view or going too close stopping you seeing the whole thing.

Decent but quite flawed.

5/10

Demoncrat 13th January 2020 05:51 PM

Noted all the same. The later ones can be ... interesting I find ;)

Nordicdusk 13th January 2020 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 221953

Tracy Pride is an FBI agent working in Hong Kong with her partner Dragon but she is dragged back to her hometown in the states to take down big banker Jason Slade for extortion and murder. Tracy teams up with her sister Joyce who is also trained in high level martial arts.

The acting is hilarious and the dialogue is equally hilarious. The fight scenes are fast paced and there are plenty of them but they are very short and very very random. The have more of a feel of the old chinese early shaw brothers films more like a dance than a fight but i really enjoy the beauty and skill of that style. Slade himself is great as the film goes on he starts to act crazier and crazier starting off as a yuppy banker type and morphing into a roided up maniac and he has all the worst lines in the film all to himself too. Then we have Jake Armstrong the poundland Eddie Murphy i had to look up IMDb to see was it actually him the guy was wearing massive shades for most of the film it was hard to make him out but he looks like his twin :lol:

Sadly Cynthia Rothrock isn't in this one much seems like they just used her name to flog the film. As usual when she is in it she has some great fight scenes but Donna Jason who plays her sister is actually skilled enough to carry the film alone.

Overall very entertaining lots of fighting the plot twists are a bit all over the place at times but i'm only here for bad acting and ass kicking.

7/10

bleakshaun 13th January 2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 618608)
Attachment 221953

Tracy Pride is an FBI agent working in Hong Kong with her partner Dragon but she is dragged back to her hometown in the states to take down big banker Jason Slade for extortion and murder. Tracy teams up with her sister Joyce who is also trained in high level martial arts.

The acting is hilarious and the dialogue is equally hilarious. The fight scenes are fast paced and there are plenty of them but they are very short and very very random. The have more of a feel of the old chinese early shaw brothers films more like a dance than a fight but i really enjoy the beauty and skill of that style. Slade himself is great as the film goes on he starts to act crazier and crazier starting off as a yuppy banker type and morphing into a roided up maniac and he has all the worst lines in the film all to himself too. Then we have Jake Armstrong the poundland Eddie Murphy i had to look up IMDb to see was it actually him the guy was wearing massive shades for most of the film it was hard to make him out but he looks like his twin [emoji38]

Sadly Cynthia Rockroth isn't in this one much seems like they just used her name to flog the film. As usual when she is in it she has some great fight scenes but Donna Jason who plays her sister is actually skilled enough to carry the film alone.

Overall very entertaining lots of fighting the plot twists are a bit all over the place at times but i'm only here for bad acting and ass kicking.

7/10

It's between this and undefeatable as my fave rothrock film

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nordicdusk 14th January 2020 08:28 PM

https://66.media.tumblr.com/1ef5ef06...pdmo2_400.gifv

Nordicdusk 14th January 2020 08:31 PM

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e58cc8f2...pdmo2_400.gifv

Nordicdusk 14th January 2020 08:34 PM

https://i0.wp.com/78.media.tumblr.co...if?w=605&ssl=1

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th January 2020 07:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A blu ray for both soon please!

Nordicdusk 15th January 2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 618760)
A blu ray for both soon please!

Any idea who has the rights?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th January 2020 08:02 PM

:confused:

Anth 17th January 2020 10:43 PM

For any fan of Cynthia Rothrock I strongly recommend Righting Wrongs from 1986.

I would say it is easily her best film and probably right up there as one of the best ever martial arts movies IMHO.

Demoncrat 20th January 2020 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, Above The Law (UK title) is a hoot. Great "catfight" sequence etc etc. Rewatch!!!

For my sins I watched City Cops , which features the 'rock .... and a comedy duo rather more upfront than I had hoped. She's the no nonsense FBI Inspector, they are bumbling detectives. Some whacking homophobia aside, it's a hoot. CR handles herself ably, acquitting herself well during the climatic battle. For completists ???
Aka Beyond The Law.

Demoncrat 24th February 2020 07:00 PM

Honor & Glory (1993, Godfrey Ho)

A tale of two sisters. One's a roving reporter ... one's a FBI agent. Mix in a little nuclear intrigue, and an evil capitalist scumbag and a lorra lorra kicking. :hail:
There's a bloke in it who looks awfy like Eddie Murphy's brother and aw ... but it isn't :laugh:

Nordicdusk 24th February 2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 621158)
Honor & Glory (1993, Godfrey Ho)

A tale of two sisters. One's a roving reporter ... one's a FBI agent. Mix in a little nuclear intrigue, and an evil capitalist scumbag and a lorra lorra kicking. :hail:
There's a bloke in it who looks awfy like Eddie Murphy's brother and aw ... but it isn't :laugh:

That guy is going out of his way to look like Eddie Murphy its hilarious.

Demoncrat 24th February 2020 07:23 PM

He at least knows one end of a foot from another anyhow :lol:

wongfeihung62 24th February 2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth (Post 618878)

I would say it is easily her best film and probably right up there as one of the best ever martial arts movies IMHO.

Also has two different endings for our Cindy.

Susan Foreman 27th July 2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth (Post 618878)

Demoncrat 3rd March 2021 07:42 PM

Brilliantly dovetailing into the fact that not only did I watch Karen Sheperd, the other woman kicking ahem admonish many many ne'r do wells in Blood Chase, I've finally found

Tiger Claws (1991, Kelly Makin)

The first of a trilogy.
Some naughty sort is knocking off martial artists!
Send for the 'rock!
Is it too early to say there is kicking?
Sadly a tad too murican at heart, and she is sidelined slightly :rolleyes:, but it was fun of sorts to see her shine even in this enviroment
AHEM.

Demoncrat 3rd March 2021 09:51 PM

Tiger Claws 2 (1996, J Stephen Maraunder)

Ahem.
The things you see in this film place it up with The Apple, for sheer entertainment.
Did I ever mention that I read Dennis Cooper for fun btw ? ;):lol:
An unique flick .... oh, I'll admit its ... shape ... isn't the most innovative. :nod:;):laugh:

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th March 2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 647274)
Tiger Claws 2 (1996, J Stephen Maraunder)

Ahem.
The things you see in this film place it up with The Apple, for sheer entertainment.
Did I ever mention that I read Dennis Cooper for fun btw ? ;):lol:
An unique flick .... oh, I'll admit its ... shape ... isn't the most innovative. :nod:;):laugh:

Watched all three Tiger Claws films on Prime a few weeks ago. Quite an experience. What can you really say about Jalal Merhi, other than I doubt he'd even star in one film if it wasn't for the fact that it was his company making them. And the premise of the third film? Bonkers! [emoji23]

Demoncrat 4th March 2021 06:55 PM

I sat agog to be fair. He's an energy void on screen ... the 3rd might be a go on Boxing Day (if that happens :lol:) it's that crazed.
Onwards!

Nordicdusk 24th March 2021 08:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPi72sdOes

Nordicdusk 24th March 2021 08:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0xTOPQ-Y4

Demoncrat 7th November 2023 09:46 PM

Blonde Fury (1989, Mang Hoi)

Our Cynthia is undercover this time, tracking down counterfeiters initially. Somewhat comedic in tone, you can imagine Chan doing this one ahem.
It spirals insanely as HK productions are meant to :nod:
Yet again, the stuntwork leaves Hypocritewood in the dust.
I'm going to watch it again. :pop2::pop2::hail::hail: