Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2011, 05:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post

I believe that there were some titles that were released with the magazine that never had stand alone releases on the HKL label.
The magazines had Heroic Trio and Executioners, that were not released through the original HKL label.
Old 9th January 2011, 06:11 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
The HKL Sex & Zen DVD is listed on Amazon as well. Was it one of the final releases?

You don't happen to have a list of the titles released with the HKL magazine do you Almar?
Ah... I'm not sure what came out from the magazine - I did the PR on most of the HKL releases over the years as they came out in the shops - not the mag.
Old 9th January 2011, 07:36 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I miss HKL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9th January 2011, 08:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I think a lot of us miss them Stephen. I suppose you tend to associate the label with the glory years of the DVD format.

I know that they received a lot of criticism for their more problematic releases (Police Story, Magnificent Butcher, Drunken Master, Snake in Eagle's Shadow etc.), but the vast majority of the releases that I've seen were of very good quality I would say.

Does anyone on here have the complete collection of HKL DVDs and/or the ones that came with the HKL magazine?
Old 9th January 2011, 08:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Those blue DeAagostini covers are horrible I agree. Having said that, I have ordered Prison on Fire 2 because it never received a standard HKL release.

What are the best places to pick up those editions?
The best edition of Prison on Fire is the Fortune Star one...

Prison on Fire 1 and 2:
Chow Yun Fat On Fire Trilogy - Play-Asia.com

Prison on Fire 2:
Prison On Fire II - Play-Asia.com

Quote:
I got hold of a copy of the Fantasy Swordplay Collection a few days ago, and the strange thing is the New Dragon Gate Inn DVD features the artwork from the Moon Warriors DVD and vice versa! Has anyone else experienced similar defects or have I got a dodgy pressing?
Same here.
Old 9th January 2011, 10:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Sex & Zen came out - I did the PR for it!
Damn! I've never seen that one anywhere and I don't know anyone who has it. I just checked Amazon and they have it. I notice it's one of the later Ultrabit releases. So Wiki is correct. Cheers for that Almar. Now I do have a hole in my HKL collection to fill.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 9th January 2011, 11:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

That one was cut by the BBFC though. If you want an uncut version in anamorphic widescreen then go for either the Discotek release from the USA or the Fortune Star Remastered version from Hong Kong.
Old 10th January 2011, 02:24 AM
Cultist

Oh, I remember HKL. They released some fantastic titles in their time as well as some I didn't really get along with. I really should catch up with some of their titles on their list (not necessarily their releases as there are sometimes better ones from elsewhere these days) but some of those on the list that I haven't seen look like fun.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I have to admit that I deliberately avoided the HKL release of My Lucky Stars, due to the BBFC imposed cut, and opted for the US DVD instead.

I also avoided the Once Upon a Time In China trilogy because I believe at least one of them used a cut master. I suppose that the Fortune Star Remastered box set that I own a copy of is supposed to be the best way to see the films on DVD, but I have to say that I'm not very happy with the way that the compression is handled.

And the Iron Fisted Monk was another I avoided due to BBFC imposed cuts. The US DVD is a pretty good presentation of the film.

I also replaced My Police Story DVD with the US DVD and also picked up the sequel on the sale label (think it was Dragon Dynasty).

And the US DVD of Magnificent Warriors is superior to the HKL with it being in the correct aspect ratio.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 View Post
The magazines had Heroic Trio and Executioners, that were not released through the original HKL label.
Do you own the HKL magazine DVDs of Heroic Trio and The Executioners wongfeihung62? Were they presented in the correct aspect, with anamorphic enhancement and cantonese audio? I would love to get my hands on those.

So what are the best options when it comes to getting both of those films on DVD, with the original audio and with anamorphic video?

Like this? Share it using the links below!