Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree98Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #171  
Old 19th June 2011, 03:50 PM
Pete's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Liverpool
Blog Entries: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Sorry Prince, in my eyes Sudden Impact is worse than The Dead Pool. I really have a dislike for scrawny whiny Sondra Locke (in all his films).

Just as a footnote - A bad Clint film is still better than a great Michael Bay film. No film made by Clint has ever sunk to the depths of Transformers.
Agree on both counts.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 19th June 2011, 07:27 PM
Stephen@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, Scotland
Default

The Dead Pool was the first DH film that I saw at the cinema and I really enjoyed it. It's a pretty good film as far as I'm concerned. The only thing missing from it was the great Albert Popwell. And as for Sudden Impact, there are some classic scenes in there. Harry going back to the coffee shop at the beginning of the film with the "go ahead, make my day" line, and my personal favourite, the scene near the end on the boardwalk when Sondra Locke is getting roughed up and Harry appears in silhouette, holding the .45 Automag and the music kicks in.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
__________________
"Give me grain or give me death!"
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 19th June 2011, 07:34 PM
Prince_Vajda's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Sorry Prince, in my eyes Sudden Impact is worse than The Dead Pool. I really have a dislike for scrawny whiny Sondra Locke (in all his films).

Just as a footnote - A bad Clint film is still better than a great Michael Bay film. No film made by Clint has ever sunk to the depths of Transformers.
Yeah, I know that. But that's what I like about her in that film - you never know whether she's really tough or a just a wispy girl.

There's so much good stuff in Sudden Impact. A mature Clint, still badass but aged like good wine; quite a few really funny scenes (I love that nasty dog ); Pat Hingle and Bradford Dillmann; a dark moody setting; fantastic one-liners (just think of the great To me you're nothin' but dogshit, you understand? dialogue;... I could think of many more pros - maybe you watch the flick again some time.

I totally agree on your second statement, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
The Dead Pool was the first DH film that I saw at the cinema and I really enjoyed it. It's a pretty good film as far as I'm concerned. The only thing missing from it was the great Albert Popwell. And as for Sudden Impact, there are some classic scenes in there. Harry going back to the coffee shop at the beginning of the film with the "go ahead, make my day" line, and my personal favourite, the scene near the end on the boardwalk when Sondra Locke is getting roughed up and Harry appears in silhouette, holding the .45 Automag and the music kicks in.
The Dead Pool ain't too bad. It's a must see just because of Jim Carrey dying from an overdose.
Popwell is really cool; I very much like his character in Sudden Impact.


Greetings!
oaxaca likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 19th June 2011, 08:12 PM
mahoney's Avatar
Cult Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South East London
Default

I don't think Firefox is as bad as people make out. It's definitely down a notch or two from the usual Clint standards we expect but I was the other way around with it. Enjoyed the film for the first hour or so then when he got into the plane lost interest. Also, felt it turned into Star Wars for the final half an hour though that's probably down to having the same affects team work on it.

Watched Tightrope a few nights ago & really enjoyed it. If they'd of shown a few more of the killings on screen & in more detail it could of almost been a straight out slasher.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 19th June 2011, 08:39 PM
Prince_Vajda's Avatar
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolfenstein Castle
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoney View Post
Watched Tightrope a few nights ago & really enjoyed it. If they'd of shown a few more of the killings on screen & in more detail it could of almost been a straight out slasher.
You're right. The plot of the movie would be suitable for a slasher - maybe the film would have become that if Michael Reeves (RIP) had directed it.

Greetings!
platostotal likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:09 AM
Bringer Of Funerals's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Middlesbrough
Blog Entries: 80
Default

I have the 35 films, 35 yrs box set of Clint so i've been watching them in order of the box set. So now i'm upto Tightrope so looks like i might watch some big Clint today. All this talk of Clint has made me want to watch some.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:46 PM
Stephen@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, Scotland
Default

Been looking at picking up Tightrope on dvd, but since I want it in the Clint Eastwood collection cover from a few years ago, it looks like I may have to stump up the cash for the Japanese dvd.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Give me grain or give me death!"
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:47 PM
Bringer Of Funerals's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Middlesbrough
Blog Entries: 80
Default

The cover in my collection is big Clint standing next to a window with blue shades of light seeping through
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:49 PM
Stephen@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, Scotland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
The cover in my collection is big Clint standing next to a window with blue shades of light seeping through
Yeah, that's the new cover. Like most of the Eastwood dvds re-released recently, it's bloody awful.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Give me grain or give me death!"
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:53 PM
Stephen@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, Scotland
Default

Much better using the original posters




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Give me grain or give me death!"
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.