Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th August 2009, 12:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy Blaxploitation Action!

Anybody else here a fan of Blaxploitation action? Just a few personal faves below:

Coffy
Hammer
Slaughter
Bucktown

Shaft ('71)
Foxy Brown
Black Ceasar
Truck Turner
That Man Bolt
Shaft In Africa
Hell Up In Harlem
Shaft's Big Score!
Slaughter's Big Rip-Off

and the enjoyable Three The Hard Way.

However, I just couldn't get away with Dolemite and The Human Tornado, though God only knows i tried!
Old 7th August 2009, 01:07 PM
Cultist
Good Trader

I have to add

Superfly,
The Mack,
Sweet Sweetbacks Baadasssss Song,
Black Belt Jones
Detroit 9000

and one of my personal fav's
Soul Vengeance (If only for the scene of the strangulation by cock).

and to add to the Rudy Ray Moore titles, lol - "Disco Godfather".
Old 7th August 2009, 01:24 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

The Spook Who Sat By The Door has to be the best blacksploitation film ive seen, its just fantastic.
Old 7th August 2009, 02:24 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Across 110th Street is a superb film by any standards.
Old 7th August 2009, 07:35 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quite a few of the blaxploitation films wree released by MGM in the U.S. I kept meaning to buy them.I'll get around to it one of these days.
Old 8th August 2009, 10:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

M.G.M released them in the uk aswell.

I picked up Cleopatra Jones yesterday, any good?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 8th August 2009, 11:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy View Post
I have to add

Superfly,
The Mack,
Black Belt Jones
Detroit 9000
How could i forget the great Black Belt Jones? I still have a VHS recording of this off Sky Movies from a few years back and it's high time a DVD release came our way. I'd definitely grab a copy.

I've got the other three titles mentioned above but apart from Superfly (which i haven't seen since the '90s!) i've yet to watch Detroit 9000 and The Mack. Also got Willie Dynamite too.
Old 8th August 2009, 11:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
M.G.M released them in the uk aswell.

I picked up Cleopatra Jones yesterday, any good?
Both Cleopatra Jones outings are well worth watching imo and look superb in glorious widescreen. Nothing wrong with the late Tamara Dobson but we all know that Pam Grier was the one and only queen of Blaxploitation.

Beware of the M.G.M. U.K. DVDs as the audio commentaries have been omitted which makes the R1 editions the better option. Although the R2 version of Coffy is anamorphic unlike the U.S. release.
Old 8th August 2009, 07:01 PM
Cult Rookie

Hit Man is a good one. Pretty much a Blax remake of Get Carter. Bernie Casey in the Caine character, some wild pairs of trousers and a nudie Pam Grier make this one to add to the collection.

There is no official dvd yet but there is a 'boot' which is of decent quality as well as the widescreen version that plays on TCM occasionally. UK pre cert tape too
Old 9th August 2009, 10:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Another Blaxploitation title that escaped my mind! Only seen parts of HM but it looks good from what i've seen and Bernie Casey is always a pleasure to watch. He was great as veteran tough guy John Slade in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.

There were some raw talented black performers back in the day and it's a shame that some managed to forge an acting career after the Blaxploitation boom while others didn't. Jim Brown, Fred 'The Hammer' Williamson, Woody Strode, Ron O'Neal, Richard Roundtree, Bernie Casey, Thalmus Rasulala, Jim Kelly, Issac Hayes, D'urville Martin, Glyn Turman, Brock Peters, Godfrey Cambridge, Raymond St.Jacques, Carl Weathers, William Marshall, Scatman Crothers, Tony King, Julius W. Harris and the excellent Yaphet Kotto.

Not forgetting the female contingent Tamara Dobson, Gloria Hendry and the peerless Pam Grier.

All of the above well worth watching to varying degrees imo.

Like this? Share it using the links below!