Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2010, 04:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I was lucky enough to get the long out of print HK release of Drunken Master II from a collector who was selling off his martial arts films. It really does deserve a UK release, but not of the old Dimension edition.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 7th November 2010, 05:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Oh and the Blu-ray is Region Free by the way and it's only £11 at Amazon Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Legend of Drunken Master [Blu-ray] [1994] [US Import]

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 7th November 2010, 05:27 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Oh and the Blu-ray is Region Free by the way and it's only £11 at Amazon Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Legend of Drunken Master [Blu-ray] [1994] [US Import]
Many thanks, It's the Dimension release but something is better than nothing as they say

If in space no one can hear you scream...why do you always hear a spaceship go past???
Old 10th November 2010, 09:15 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Quality wise, the Blu-ray release from America or Canada (can't remember which) looks fantastic and the film is without a doubt the best Jackie Chan film. It's surprisingly never had a UK release which is such a shame. I only had the uncut Chinese version on VHS which had shambolic picture quality so to get it in HD was fantastic (even though it was the International cut) and was the best purchase I made this year.
I am happy you like it but the original score and soundtrack was far superior and there was no need to change it. Who wants to watch a Chinese film dubbed into English these days, even if Jackie did do his own dubbing. If anyone releases this on Blu ray anywhere in the world with original soundtrack and English subs they would make a fortune!
Old 10th November 2010, 11:17 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees5761 View Post
I am happy you like it but the original score and soundtrack was far superior and there was no need to change it. Who wants to watch a Chinese film dubbed into English these days, even if Jackie did do his own dubbing. If anyone releases this on Blu ray anywhere in the world with original soundtrack and English subs they would make a fortune!
Too right they would. An Uncut original language Blu-ray would be an incredible release. I think a company like Fortune Star should have got into releasing Jackie Chan films on Blu-ray as they tended to have the best versions available.
I think Arrow should release it! They are the only company I can trust to produce a fantastic release time and time again. That would certainly help fund more amazing releases from them too.

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 10th November 2010, 12:41 PM
Cultist

Problem is i think Dimension hold the rights to most of the western world and i think Warners have the Far Eastern rights. Dont know if the rights to a Blu ray are any different to a dvd.
Old 14th November 2010, 05:22 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees5761 View Post
Problem is i think Dimension hold the rights to most of the western world and i think Warners have the Far Eastern rights. Dont know if the rights to a Blu ray are any different to a dvd.
But you would think that releasing these films in a format that people want would be in everyone's interests. They make money and we get the films we want!

It just doesn't make sense to me that they just sit on them and let them gather dust!!!

If in space no one can hear you scream...why do you always hear a spaceship go past???
Old 15th November 2010, 11:14 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

I've only ever seen an original version when I used to have teh H.K. Laserdisc, I'd hate to watch a version like the dimension one after watching it properly.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default BUMP!!

Just thought I'd get this thread going again after all the chat on the 'Show Yours' thread.

I've just finished watching The Accidental Spy on BD and was surprised at just how good it was, one of the last great true Jackie Chan comedy/action films before doing his kids films and serious films.
We need to see him back to his old tricks again, I know he's been meaning to make Armour of God 3 for a while now *fingers crossed*

Old 10th September 2011, 11:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

You can't beat old school Chan. Pure and simple. Imo the man was at the peak of his powers from '78 to '89 and rarely put a foot (and fist) wrong in all that time. Whether it be The Chanster's own films or his classic collaborations with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao, make no mistake the H.K. cinema legend in question generally delivered the goods on a consistent basis.

There's so much Chan-tastic action it's hard to narrow down my fave moments of fighting fury but you've gotta love two spectacular scenes in The Armour Of God. Watch in awe as The Asian Hawk makes mincemeat out of a mess hall full of malicious monks then later tangles with four formidable high kickin' black females. Masterfully and expertly put together action imo and these two sequences will never lose their power to entertain me. Truly impressive and memorable stuff.

Like this? Share it using the links below!