Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2010, 01:57 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Sounds like the terrific Shaw bros. classic Heroes Of The East (Aka.Challenge Of The Ninja and Shaolin Challenges Ninja) to me.
The film features Liu Chia Hui (with hair this time!) countering the attacks of his burly Japanese opponent by covering himself in oil thus making it hard for the latter to hold onto him. It's available on region 1 DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079803/

Thats the one I was remembering,funny thing is...in my memory I likened the baddie to Paul Smith(Crimewave/Red Sonja/Pieces etc),and lo and behold it bloody well was him!!!!
Old 28th March 2010, 11:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Are his other movies similiar? Better? Worse?
I've seen a fair few Bruce Li efforts over the years and have enjoyed pretty much the majority of them. Most (if not all) Bruceploitation films are quite dire and i reckon Li's outings are the best of a bad bunch. No doubt there are far worse little dragon rip-offs out there.

I also believe Bruce Li is the only Bruce Lee impersonator to receive any semblance of respect from the fans. Mainly due to his honesty in admitting he never actually intended to be a little dragon imitator but was often expected to perform like one by unscrupulous Hong Kong film producers.

It was nice to see an older Li saying his piece when interviewed as part of the vintage HK film documentaries Cinema Of Vengeance and Top Fighter from the early to mid '90s.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Bruce Li easily stood head and shoulders above the rest when it came to the Bruceploitation films, and he did go on to make a few decent films that were straight kung fu movies in their own right.

As far as the other clones, Dragon Lee made a few good films, but not exactly his Bruceploitation efforts apart from the hysterical "Clones Of Bruce Lee". I would have to say that "Secret Ninja, Roaring Tiger" was my favourite, helped possibly because it features the brilliant Hwang Jang Lee as the villain.

Bruce Leung made the classic "The Dragon Lives Again". So stupendously bad it is brilliant. The plot revolves around Bruce Lee going to hell and fighting against various famous bad guys that include The Godfather, Dracula, The Exorcist, Emmanuelle (?), a bunch of skeletons, rtc. To assist Lee there is James Bond, Clint Eastwood's "Man With No Name", Zatoichi the blind swordsman and (My fav) Popeye. As you can imagine you really have to leave your brain somewhere else for this one.

Personally, my favourite Bruce Lee impersonator is the magnificent Sammo Hung. You need to track down "Enter The Fat Dragon" for a brilliant send up of Bruce Lee's "Way Of The Dragon" that is both funny and also has some cool action. Or "Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon" just to see Sammo go into Bruce mode again during the fight scenes.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 30th March 2010, 12:42 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Chinese Stunt Man is a great Bruce Li film, not seen many others but Image of Bruce Lee is pretty good too.
Old 30th May 2010, 08:28 AM
Cult Rookie

Sale Here Come the Kung Fu Clones

I've just finished producing a book about 'Bruceploitation' (concerning films with actors who passed themselves off as the late Kung Fu movie icon Bruce Lee) for its author, Carl Jones. I'm quite pleased at how it's turned out. Would post some images but concerned about breaching forum rules about promoting goods.
Old 30th May 2010, 10:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've heard about this book on another forum. I'd be interested in knowing where to get from. (Amazon I guess.) Did he get the introduction by Bey Logan he was hoping for?

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 30th May 2010, 11:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

I'm interested in buying this tome too so please keep me informed of it's availability. Hopefully it'll be a good read.
Old 30th May 2010, 12:33 PM
Cult Rookie

Hi, yes, the Bey Logan foreword is in there and it's available at Amazon or you can PM me and I'll pass on ordering information.
Old 4th June 2010, 01:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Smile

Thanks for the info and i'll get lookin'. I'll be in touch if i have no luck.
Old 6th June 2010, 11:11 AM
Cult Rookie

Hi Splatterdragon73, I'm unable to e-mail you back or PM you as I don't have enough posts under my belt. I'll get back to you asap..

Last edited by johnoverall; 8th June 2010 at 07:41 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!