Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   Fave Bruce Li films! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/1760-fave-bruce-li-films.html)

Splatterdragon73 22nd October 2009 10:40 AM

Fave Bruce Li films!

I must admit i'm generally not a fan of all those Bruce Lee wannabes who desperately tried and failed to fill the little dragon's kung fu slippers. But i will confess the only Lee imitator i think had any decency in him was the martial artist formally known as 'Bruce Li', Ho Chung Tao. He was pretty good to watch and Tao's films were definitely the best of a big and mostly teeth-grindingly bad bunch imo. Below are my fave Bruce Li outings. Anybody else care to pitch in with their choices?

Dynamo
Bruce Against Iron Hand
Exit The Dragon, Enter The Tiger
The Tiger Strikes Again (Soul Brothers Of Kung Fu)
Duel Of The Dragons (The Lama Avenger)
Image Of Bruce Lee
The Bruce Lee Story (The Secret Of Bruce Lee)
Bruce Lee The Man, The Myth
Bruce Lee In New Guinea
Bruce Lee Versus The Supermen
Goodbye Bruce Lee....His Last Game Of Death

and The Gold Connection (The Iron Dragon Strikes Back).

The last movie mentioned above is downbeat beyond belief imo!

Richcrue 14th March 2010 11:04 AM

I quite like some of the Brucesploitation actors,Bruce li and Conan Lee being my fave 2,Iron Dragon strikes back is a great film,the final fight with the camera flashes is awsome and the death blow/broken neck kick looks sore as F**k,then polished off with one of the bleakest endings to a movie ever,as for Conan Lee-Tiger on the beat rules!:rockon:

Splatterdragon73 14th March 2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richcrue (Post 67016)
Iron Dragon strikes back is a great film,the final fight with the camera flashes is awsome and the death blow/broken neck kick looks sore as F**k,then polished off with one of the bleakest endings to a movie ever,as for Conan Lee-Tiger on the beat rules!:rockon:

I fully agree about TIDSB and it must be the most downbeat Bruce Li effort ever. There's plenty of unintentional humour in the film but the bleak atmosphere still wins out in the end.:(

TOTB is also well worth a watch but the sequel was lousy imo.

Richcrue 14th March 2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 67026)

TOTB is also well worth a watch but the sequel was lousy imo.

"Lousy" is far too kind,a complete and utter waste of time is my opinion,and I had such high hopes after the first.:chainsaw:

Splatterdragon73 14th March 2010 11:36 AM

I don't really consider Conan Lee a Bruce Lee wannabe as to my knowledge he never tried to imitate 'The Little Dragon' himself.

Imo Bruce Li was definitely the best of the Lee impersonators with Dragon Lee in second place. Although i reckon Li's films are by far the most enjoyable. Especially the likes of Bruce Against Iron Hand, The Image Of Bruce Lee, The Tiger Strikes Again, Return Of The Tiger and the great Dynamo.:)

Richcrue 14th March 2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 67029)
I don't really consider Conan Lee a Bruce Lee wannabe as to my knowledge he never tried to imitate 'The Little Dragon' himself.

Yeah I guess your right there, its just that with the name Lee he kinda falls into that category wither he likes it or not, and having Conan as a first name dosnt help(not as bad as Bronson Lee tho).:lol:

On a side note-I saw a flick years ago(I think it was Bruce Li)when he faught a big hairy brute and covered himself in baby oil so he was too slippy to grab,I think it may have been Exit The Dragon, Enter The Tiger,but I`m not sure,can you enlighten me?

DeadAlive 14th March 2010 01:02 PM

Bruce Li was by far the best of the Bruceploitation breakthroughs.
Best films for me were:

The Gold Connection
The Chinese Stunt Man (AKA Counter Attack)
The Man, The Myth
Dynamo
Bruce Lee's Deadly Kung Fu
Goodbye Bruce Lee: His Last Game Of Death
Exit The Dragon, Enter The Tiger

A lot you just have to take for what they are, but of all the Bruce Lee clones, Li was one of the few who actually got away from the cheep and nasty copies.

I still haven't managed to track down Bruce Lee Against Supermen but I'm still looking.

Wolf 14th March 2010 02:37 PM

I've only seen one which was Return Of The Tiger.

I enjoyed it. Are his other movies similiar? Better? Worse?

Splatterdragon73 26th March 2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richcrue (Post 67032)
On a side note-I saw a flick years ago(I think it was Bruce Li)when he faught a big hairy brute and covered himself in baby oil so he was too slippy to grab,I think it may have been Exit The Dragon, Enter The Tiger,but I`m not sure,can you enlighten me?

Sounds like the terrific Shaw bros. classic Heroes Of The East (Aka.Challenge Of The Ninja and Shaolin Challenges Ninja) to me.
The film features Liu Chia Hui (with hair this time!) countering the attacks of his burly Japanese opponent by covering himself in oil thus making it hard for the latter to hold onto him. It's available on region 1 DVD.:)

Splatterdragon73 26th March 2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 67059)
Still haven't managed to track down Bruce Lee Against Supermen but I'm still looking.

I think i still have a VHS tape of this title copied off the actual pre-cert.

It's absolutely barking mad and a must-see take it from me!:lol: