Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2013, 01:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
'Come on Bennett, throw away the chicken shit gun, you don't just want to pull the trigger, you want to put the knife in me, and look me in the eye, and see whats going on in there when you turn it, thats what you want to do, right?'
This bit has me cracking up everytime, it's Bennett Mercury's face, he looks like out of shot he's just ejaculating with joy everywhere.
Old 4th February 2013, 06:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Bennett has to be one of the portlier most unconvincing villains ever but for sheer action rompery from the plot to the score this is a firm fave.
The way the above antagonist prances around after Matrix's daughter once she escapes her room is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I wouldn't like to choose between Commando and Taken, which i think is the best action movie of this century.

I suppose Commando wins it as its still a total joy to watch nearly thirty years later. I should try and answer it again in another twenty five years and see if i still rate Taken so highly.
Both are indeed superb actioners and Commando is definitely the more outrageous outing with Taken maintaining a more serious edge imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
It's so unapologetically ridiculous in it's 80's popcorn vibe. Did Mark Lester ever make another decent actioner? Showdown in Little Tokyo is terrible.
I like Lester's Class Of 1984 even though it's not an actual action film and i agree SILT is an horrendous effort that pales vastly in comparison to Commando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
This bit has me cracking up everytime, it's Bennett Mercury's face.
Yep, Bennett's facial expression when Matrix convinces him to fight one-on-one is absolutely priceless. Eyes wide and mouth open in an ecstatic state of mouth-watering anticipation of finally killing his old army adversary.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
"John, i'm not gonna shoot you between the eyes, i'm gonna shoot you between the balls!"
Old 8th February 2013, 12:20 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
"John, i'm not gonna shoot you between the eyes, i'm gonna shoot you between the balls!"
What does that even mean?

Commando - classic 80's action cheese. But why isn't the director's cut available on Blu?
Old 8th February 2013, 02:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
What does that even mean? But why isn't the director's cut available on Blu?
You tell me on both counts.

Regarding the latter query, that's why i'm not interested in buying the film in HD until the relevant extended version appears on the format.

The sp. ed. DVD release will suffice for me in the meantime.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 8th February 2013, 06:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hopefully with Arnie back sporting big guns,Fox will cash in and give us the HD release it deserves.
Daemonia likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th February 2013, 10:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I absolutely love this film - rented on VHS when I was 12 and have probably watched it 20 times since. It was an early acquisition in my days of collecting sell-thru VHS tapes too. Owned it on LaserDisc and DVD (twice) since. Not bothered with the Blu-ray as it's not the longer director's cut. Would certainly go for an upgrade if Fox bothered to release a new version, all bells and whistles.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 9th February 2013, 10:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Not bothered with the Blu-ray as it's not the longer director's cut. Would certainly go for an upgrade if Fox bothered to release a new version, all bells and whistles.
Yep, there's just no point in buying the current Commando BR as it's merely a rip-off release compared to the extras-laden DVD edition.
I don't care how improved the HD PQ may be i'm sticking with the SD release right now.
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.
Old 19th September 2018, 08:55 PM
Cultist

Two years ago I bought a used laserdisc UK release of Commando.

Back in the days, there were 2 UK versions out on LD , the censored and uncut R-rated version.
I managed to find the R-rated uncut version.
It's such a great joy, a cozy 90 minutes watch on laserdisc.

I also have it on dir. cut R1 dvd which is great.

First time I watched this movie was in cinema in the Former Yugoslavia.
I was just a little kid in 1987.
While watching this movie at the movies, I felt like I had butterflies in my tummy, I couldn't sit still in my chair through entire movie.
I was like go kick their ass Arnie through entire movie!
I felt like I was intoxicated watching the action scenes!

Now that I look back, I must have had an temporary ADD disorder when I watched this movie!

Still love it!
Old 19th September 2018, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Great reminiscense there bronx ... it's always been my favourite Arneee movie ... "You're ghostin' us, muthafcka!"

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!