Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2009, 01:32 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Sammo Hung

I thought Sammo Hung deserved a thread in here.I find him very underrated on so many levels(Mainly for all his works in the supernatural Genre) What I like about Sammo Hung is he's not the traditional looking hero .One minute he's cracking a joke 2 minutes later hes cracking skulls.

What Sammo Hung movies have you guys seen?
Old 28th November 2009, 02:56 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

There is a fantastic Donnie Yen film called SPL where Sammo plays the bad guy. He proves hes still got it when it comes to the kung fu!!!
Old 28th November 2009, 07:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
What Sammo Hung movies have you guys seen?
It would be easier to list the few I haven't seen.......

I'm a huge Sammo fan and have been for years. Not only is he a fine actor, action director and stunt man, but he also produces films too. He was the producer of the first "Mr Vampire" film and was connected with many of the following films in the series. He went to the same Peking Opera Schoool as Jackie Chan. His "Encounters Of The Spooky Kind" was resposnible for a whole glut of supernatural films. One of the biggest problems with Sammo's films is that many are not available at all outside of Asia (Thank goodness for the Internet.) , and some are not even available there anymore. It's a shame because he jumps so well between genres that there is something for everyone in his films.

Gigantor, if you have seen "SPL" and enjoyed it, you should also like "Fatal Move". It's in a similar vein.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 29th November 2009, 11:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post

I'm a huge Sammo fan and have been for years. Not only is he a fine actor, action director and stunt man, but he also produces films too.
The man is a true HK cinema legend and one of the greatest kung fu movie luminaries imo.
There's no question Hung was at his creative peak during the '70s and '80s and out of all his films i've seen i don't think there's been one major missed step taken by the portly kicker.
Even less-than-stellar Sammo is watchable and he's always a formidable screen presence whether Hung is going solo or doing the triple act with Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao.

A veteran HK cinema jack-of-all-trades and master of all.
Old 29th November 2009, 01:30 PM
Cult Rookie

Sammo is a legend! It always struck me as a real shame that he's never had the recognition that others in Asian cinema have...Jackie Chan and Jet Li, to name just two. His martial arts skill is far and above that of Jet Li, but I suppose he doesn't have the looks to pull off that kind of stardom.
His fight choreography is awesome in early kung fu films like "When Taekwondo Strikes" and many others. Some of my favourite early Sammo films are Enter the Fat Dragon, Warriors Two, Magnificent Butcher. He was also in Enter the Dragon which wins him extra points from me
I've seen stacks of his films - but I believe he's been in 80 or so, so I still have several to see.
Old 29th November 2009, 02:02 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Just going to move this thread in the the Damage Depot action section where we'll house and build any action-heavy stars.

I can add though that I met Sammo on the set of The Medallion and he was working Jackie hard - real taskmaster and likes the blows to be proper contact. He was a lovely chap though - came out for dinner to meet his fans (which he then paid for) and had no airs or graces - one of the few people who doesn;t disappoint in the flesh - Jackie was exactly the same.
Old 29th November 2009, 02:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Big fan of Sammo, though I think the reason why he hasn't taken on over here is due to his preference for Chinese style comedy. Simple fact is the majority of western audiences just don't like it. It's, frankly, too childish and slapstick for the general Westerner who would be attracted to a no-holds barred action movie.

This is what Tony Jaa has avoided and look where it's got him. Sure he stars in comedies like The Bodyguard - but titles like that don't sell that well outside of the Asian territories.

But older, wiser Sammo of SPL and Fatal Move has certainly made him the one to watch these days. Though Yuen Biao was always attracted to dark material, it's good to see that Sammo and Jackie have caught up and turned to the darkside!

Though i still haven't got the (brief) sex scene from Shinjuku Incident out of my head yet, that was a total shock to my system seeing Jackie getting freaky! lol.

As for Sammo, SPL is my favourite performance of his as he's just so bad ass, that goatee is killer. Eastern Condors is possibly my favourite film of his though - it's just such a tough movie! Full contact, balls-to-the-wall action and some great, great stunts from the whole cast.
Old 29th November 2009, 05:03 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Just going to move this thread in the the Damage Depot action section where we'll house and build any action-heavy stars.

I can add though that I met Sammo on the set of The Medallion and he was working Jackie hard - real taskmaster and likes the blows to be proper contact. He was a lovely chap though - came out for dinner to meet his fans (which he then paid for) and had no airs or graces - one of the few people who doesn;t disappoint in the flesh - Jackie was exactly the same.
Almar I am sooooooooo jealous! That's the coolest thing I've heard all day!
You've actually met (and witnessed working) two of my all time heroes!
Old 29th November 2009, 07:26 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well you know it's the kind of thing where I wish I all you guys could meet him - you'd be mega fans for life - he was very cool and I feel very privileged that I got to meet him.
Old 29th November 2009, 11:57 PM
Cult Rookie

Can I ask how you ended up on set? I'm nosey and would love to hear more

Like this? Share it using the links below!