Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2010, 01:53 PM
Cultist in Training

Most recent action films I've seen (on DVD) are Whiteout (slick, mediocre crime thriller), and Surrogates (I quite liked this sci-fi effort... good contrast between bionic Bruce and 'meat-bag' Willis).

For a good fantasy-actioner, I recommend Russian adventure Wolfhound From The Family Of Grey Dogs. Its hero is like Conan meets Lancelot.
Old 19th January 2010, 05:48 PM
Ex-member

"A Dangerous Man".

Nice one Stevie!
Stevie the Seagull flaps his chubby wings extra hard and manages to halt his career plummet (yet again) after the unwatchable lows of "Kill Switch".
This is well paced, well directed, wonderfully brutal (wince like a wincy thing at the meaty, crunchy, 'rod in the back of the neck death) and entertaining stuff that effectively juggles many different groups of characters, from Seagal's delightfully cliche 'ex Special Forces' (of course!!) troubled hero to Russian mobsters (Seagal's current fetish), Chinese criminal gangs, corrupt Police and the Chinese military.

The dialogue is also a gem of multifaceted delights. Made better by Seagal's obvious unwillingness to see trash dialogue AS trash dialogue.
Highlights are (in a wonderfully unhinged moment for his character) Seagal's pronouncement to a would-be mugger that he's going to "**** you up ugly", his remark to the lead bad guy "Where I come from, we say death is emptiness. In that case, I've been dead for many years" and a stunningly delightful line from a Russian mobster to the corrupt Police Captain, "Where I come from we **** Cops in the mouth when we've run out of farm animals"!
Genius!

Seagal is thankfully not doubled except for a couple of 'throwing the bad guy across the room' stunts and his ultra-fast punches, blocks and thudding kicks still manage to impress despite his extra bulk (though again, he looks better than he has done).
the gunplay is not as blood drenched or in your face as that of "Renegade Justice" and tthe support characters do more of it...but again it's effective and violent enough.

Trashy, cheesy, nasty, fast paced, no-nonsense funstuffs!
Now try to keep the quality constant Stevie!
Old 19th January 2010, 09:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched Truck Turner, that was a fun film. Issac Hayes is pretty badass in it too. he gets into a gun fight every 5mins or so.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 20th January 2010, 04:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
"A Dangerous Man".

Nice one Stevie!
Stevie the Seagull flaps his chubby wings extra hard and manages to halt his career plummet (yet again) after the unwatchable lows of "Kill Switch".
This is well paced, well directed, wonderfully brutal (wince like a wincy thing at the meaty, crunchy, 'rod in the back of the neck death) and entertaining stuff that effectively juggles many different groups of characters, from Seagal's delightfully cliche 'ex Special Forces' (of course!!) troubled hero to Russian mobsters (Seagal's current fetish), Chinese criminal gangs, corrupt Police and the Chinese military.

The dialogue is also a gem of multifaceted delights. Made better by Seagal's obvious unwillingness to see trash dialogue AS trash dialogue.
Highlights are (in a wonderfully unhinged moment for his character) Seagal's pronouncement to a would-be mugger that he's going to "**** you up ugly", his remark to the lead bad guy "Where I come from, we say death is emptiness. In that case, I've been dead for many years" and a stunningly delightful line from a Russian mobster to the corrupt Police Captain, "Where I come from we **** Cops in the mouth when we've run out of farm animals"!
Genius!

Seagal is thankfully not doubled except for a couple of 'throwing the bad guy across the room' stunts and his ultra-fast punches, blocks and thudding kicks still manage to impress despite his extra bulk (though again, he looks better than he has done).
the gunplay is not as blood drenched or in your face as that of "Renegade Justice" and tthe support characters do more of it...but again it's effective and violent enough.

Trashy, cheesy, nasty, fast paced, no-nonsense funstuffs!
Now try to keep the quality constant Stevie!
ha I have a copy of this DVD in my to watch pile.as well as his last movie
Old 20th January 2010, 09:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
just watched Truck Turner, that was a fun film. Issac Hayes is pretty badass in it too. he gets into a gun fight every 5mins or so.
I remember seeing that one at the cinema. Great fun. Must remember to add to my (massive) rental list to see again.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 20th January 2010, 09:28 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post

Loads of fun, yeah. And Nichelle Nichols is a ****ing joy!!
Old 20th January 2010, 05:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
Loads of fun, yeah. And Nichelle Nichols is a ****ing joy!!
yeah it was weird seeing her calling people mother****ers when i spent my childhood watching her be all prim and proper on star trek.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched SMOKIN' ACES 2today
Old 21st January 2010, 04:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched a couple of Van Damme "classics" the last couple of days,Sudden Death (or Die Hard at a hockey match) and Double Team with Dennis Rodman.SD features the most ridiculous death involving a helicopter I've ever seen but at least none of them were as bad as Legionnaire or Derailed.And it shows just how observant I am,it was only a couple of years ago that I noticed Van Damme had giant lump on his forehead!
Old 31st January 2010, 11:30 AM
Ex-member

"The Keeper"

Stevie the Seagul joins up with the same director as "A Dangerous Man" but to lesser effect.
Not that this is a bad film..just not as good.

Some nice and messy gunshot hits, quite a lot of action and smattering of martial arts (mostly just punches and blocks and much arm bending).
But the pace is a bit off, the story less than gripping and Seagal's very bad stand-in for the back of his head (WHY??), during conversations, is very distracting.
The ending has some good sniper rifle violence, but is otherwise a bit low key.

But...a fun enough, violent, romp with people worshipping Seagal so much, you have to wonder if he had a hand in the screenplay.
When (after recovering from being shot) a female fellow police officer states "You survived something that would have killed most men, you're an inspiration to everyone who wants to join the force" and when he has the young woman he's protecting going all drippy and moist over him... you have to wonder if Stevie Seagul flapped through the open window of the deserted script conference room and quickly added a little bit of self-love to the script when no one was watching.

The UK DVD synopsis is a cock-up though. This film actually set in Mexico/Texas is, according to the DVD blurb, set in post-Communist Romania! It also gets all the character's names and occupations wrong.

Like this? Share it using the links below!