Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2010, 03:41 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanyang Man View Post
I have no idea why. I'm relatively new to the Shaw universe myself, and have only been watching and collecting DVDs over the past six or seven years. I always knew who they were, ever since I got into Hong Kong movies back in the late '80s, but it wasn't like any of their output was wildly accessible in those days.
Likewise, pre 2002 I had only seen about 15 or so Shaw titles.
Old 2nd June 2010, 03:42 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
If you want something sleazy, you'd be hard pressed to top Lost Souls, as that's about as "in-your-face" as the Shaws ever got. It's kind of like a Chinese cousin to Salo: loads of degradation, humiliation, rape (straight and gay), torture, mutilation etc etc all permeated with a whiff of political context.
Nasty little film, the sort of film that makes you want to have a shower after watching it
Old 2nd June 2010, 05:39 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
a) Quite a number of titles were issued with new Dolby 5.1 audio tracks (which is quite odd on the titles that date from the '60s and '70s), but did not contain the original monaural audio as you might expect. The 5.1 tracks were by and large created artificially, in that they didn't go back to the original audio stems as they were lost to the ages, sometimes with new sound FX overlayed, sometimes by just expanding the monaural tracks. Some sound bad, some tolerable, and some you won't even notice.
That's a major problem with most Hong Kong/Chinese DVD's of older films.
Some are made almost unbearable by truly, TRULY, dire 5:1 mixes that contain almost no actual surround effects, but do contain tinny, muffled, REALY badly mixed volume levels, audio.

I had one of the 'In the Line of Duty' flicks and I literally struggled though it with gritted teeth and straining ears. Shocking garbage.

The 'Shaws' films are better technical quality than that, but as you said they contain a few badly mixed sound levels, sometimes changed music, changed sound effects and OTT ambient sound of ****ing bird song.
Old 7th June 2010, 08:02 PM
Cultist in Training

Thankyou for that wealth of info, Nanyang!
Old 17th June 2010, 11:23 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I found a Celestial Pictures version of Death Duel in Oxfam in Central London today for £2.69. Thought it was odd that it was there considering its a reigon 3 disc. I obviously snapped it up
Old 18th June 2010, 01:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cool find BZ!
Old 18th June 2010, 05:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've picked up region 3 and regon 1 DVDs at charity shops and my local Cash Generator. I don't think they consider things like the DVD region. They just look at the discs for scratches, etc. Death Duel is a good find. I never find any Shaws, only Old Skool, Ninja and Bruce Li stuff.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 18th June 2010, 02:44 PM
Cultist in Training

Wish they brought out more Shawscope in region 2.
Old 18th June 2010, 05:27 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I finally got round to watching 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. It was great I loved the brutal fighting and Gordon Lui gives a fantastic performance.

Tonight will be Death Duel.
Old 19th June 2010, 01:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgthatsme View Post
Wish they brought out more Shawscope in region 2.
Keep an eye out as there is some SB stuff released over there.You have to watch alot of it though as most of it availible in English even as subtitles.Or very Language specific.I t will be only in German annd not French I saw a bunch of French and German ones a while back which I shed a little tear over.

Like this? Share it using the links below!