Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2010, 01:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
War Zone was all out carnage and nothing else, but I did enjoy the hammy overacting of Domic West and Looney Bin Jim!

Thomas Jane still gets my vote for best Punisher though!
There's no doubt that TP:WZ is nothing but brutality held in place by the flimsiest of plots. But i knew this beforehand and enjoyed the film on a strictly primal level. The exploding Parkour performer scene was certainly memorable and i also liked Jigsaw's suitably grotesque make-up. Dominic West's 'Noo Yawk' accent was definitely overdone though imo.

I think Thomas Jane was the best at being all mean 'n moody and remains a satisfyingly brooding presence in the '04 version.
But for me Ray Stevenson simply looks the toughest of all three actors to play The Punisher. Being nothing more than a cold-blooded, merciless and ruthless killing machine. The actor's slicked back hair and stone-faced features add to this effect and i think Stevenson also resembles the comic book character more than Lundgren and Jane.

There are indeed some well executed action moments in TP ('04) all pleasingly done in an old school kinda way. The sequence where our vicious vigilante gets manhandled by 'The Russian' is certainly a standout segment. Will Patton was good too as suave but sinister gay gangster Quentin Glass. But apart from Jane's perfectly acceptable portrayal of the former Frank Castle and the movie's action, i just felt this mid-naughties version could've delivered more.
Old 24th June 2010, 01:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
I'm pretty sure there is an uncut German release.
Isn't this edition a double disc set in steelbook packaging and featuring a complete director's workprint?
Old 24th June 2010, 01:51 PM
Cult Rookie

Default The Punisher (1989)

I remember catching the 80s Punisher movie at the cinema on its original release. Really enjoyed it but haven't seen it in years - I'm sure I must have a dusty VHS copy somewhere.
Old 29th June 2010, 03:35 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Isn't this edition a double disc set in steelbook packaging and featuring a complete director's workprint?
There is also a 1 -disc uncut version that i finally found cheap on Ebay! Will have it tomorrow! Now i´m only looking for an uncut version of Red Scorpion wich seems pretty much impossible to find!
Old 6th July 2010, 10:48 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinncent View Post
There is also a 1 -disc uncut version that i finally found cheap on Ebay! Will have it tomorrow! Now i´m only looking for an uncut version of Red Scorpion wich seems pretty much impossible to find!
Yeah I'm trying to track down Red Scorpion Uncut too. I think the only uncut version that was released was in Japan by PAND. The only downside to this edition is it has forced Jap subs on the English audio & it's rare as rockin' horse s**t to get hold of!!

You make it easy.
Old 6th July 2010, 10:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 View Post
Yeah I'm trying to track down Red Scorpion Uncut too. I think the only uncut version that was released was in Japan by PAND. The only downside to this edition is it has forced Jap subs on the English audio & it's rare as rockin' horse s**t to get hold of!!
Red Scorpion is a good movie for a studio to dust off and get released, uncut.
Old 6th July 2010, 12:43 PM
Cultist

yeah.. It´s actually one of the hardest movies to find uncut!
Old 23rd August 2010, 03:32 PM
Cultist

g-day mates.
anyone familiar with a Thai dvd studio Triple X (world movie legends)
they have The Punisher 1989 with Dolph Lundgren, running time is 89minutes.

do you know if this studio has the correct version of this vigilante movie and not the cut R1 dvd version?
THE PUNISHER [1989] Dolph Lundgren Vigilante Action DVD - eBay (item 270624265015 end time Sep-18-10 07:05:09 PDT)
Old 23rd August 2010, 04:06 PM
Cultist

It´s probably the same as all the other asian versions like the korean that has the R-rated cut! Altough im not 100% sure!
Old 23rd August 2010, 04:16 PM
Cultist

anyone familiar with that thai dvd studio?
they had great picture quality on exterminator, but all the other dvd's are they special uncut unbrated thai versions?

I have the austrian XT-VIDEO reliese with inserted lower quality frames to make this version longer, but still missing 1 scene where the nanny is shot in the head and sliding down.
This scene was shortened on this austrian dvd reliese

here's another dvd comparing site in german, make your computer translate the language.
http://www.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fas...388&vid=174838

Like this? Share it using the links below!