Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st July 2010, 08:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Movie car chases! What's your fave?

After watching Death Proof i started thinking about the best screen car chases, ive just spent the last 4 hours watching chase scene and have compiled a to 21 as i couldn't decide on a top 20. Ive put it up on my blog which is situated below. what's your fave chase/chases?

TOP 21 MOVIES CAR CHASES
Old 31st July 2010, 09:03 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

All of the car chases in the Blues Brothers are fantastic. The chase through the mall and the massive race/police chase to the Chicago are stand out ones for me.

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.
wonderlust likes this.
Old 31st July 2010, 09:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I was very worried that you were going to forget my all-time favourite car chase, pedro. But it happens to be the same as yours apparently!
Old 31st July 2010, 09:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

@BE: I Take it you are referring to Ronin?

Just such an amazing pure action thriller...

@BZ: i placed Blues Brothers at No.9 in my countdown. Absolutely mental car chases...
Old 31st July 2010, 09:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
@BE: I Take it you are referring to Ronin?

Just such an amazing pure action thriller...
Yep. Fantastic film.
Old 31st July 2010, 10:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

To my eternal shame, I haven't seen Vanishing Point. A few others I haven't seen like the Bad Boys movies and original Gone In 60 Seconds. Glad one of the Bourne ones made it. I like the one in Bourne Identity too. One I have to give an honourable mention to is the original Italian Job because it's so cheeky and loads of fun. Maybe I like Mini's.. hmm.
Old 31st July 2010, 10:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
To my eternal shame, I haven't seen Vanishing Point. A few others I haven't seen like the Bad Boys movies and original Gone In 60 Seconds. Glad one of the Bourne ones made it. I like the one in Bourne Identity too. One I have to give an honourable mention to is the original Italian Job because it's so cheeky and loads of fun. Maybe I like Mini's.. hmm.
i had trouble choosing which Bourne chase to put in, i watched both twice and decided that Supremacy had the better chase, it seemed more action packed. I completely forgot about The Italian Job, i may have to go back and make it a top 22 now...
Old 31st July 2010, 11:16 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Not sure if its a car chase as such but the opening scene of Police Story where the cars go down the side of a hill and destroy a shanti town is pretty amazing.

I think Michael Bay lifted the scene almost exactly for Bad Boys II, but he managed to make up for the rip off with the excellent car chase with the bodies falling out of the back of the van.

Bad Boys II is one of the best action films of the new millenium, so crazily over the top.

It's just a shame they Bay went and ruined things with his dihorreah inducing shakey-cam filled lets watch the legs of two massive robots having a fight transformers films.
Old 31st July 2010, 11:20 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'd choose a William Freidkin car chase. No, not The French Connection, but the car chase in To Live And Die In LA. Pure heart pumping adrenalin stuff.
Old 31st July 2010, 11:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

yeah i love bad boys 2, it was the last decent film Bay made, and i totally know what you mean about the opening of Police story, lifted almost directly.

@Stevoj: I like the chase in TLAILA but TFC chase is just a phenomenal piece of action directing escpecially when prior to Bullet all chases were done on back projected screens with a static car being shaken by the crew.

Like this? Share it using the links below!