Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2011, 11:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I seem to recall someone suggested similarities with the Lone Wolf and Cub films. Is there any accuracy in that observation in your opinion?
Old 11th February 2011, 11:45 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
I seem to recall someone suggested similarities with the Lone Wolf and Cub films. Is there any accuracy in that observation in your opinion?
Not that I could see, only the fact that it's set in the snow and one of the Lone Cub films are.

But I haven't seen any of them for years (apart from the cobbled together Shogun Assassin) so it's a possibility but like I said, not like I could see
Old 12th February 2011, 12:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
Not that I could see, only the fact that it's set in the snow and one of the Lone Cub films are.

But I haven't seen any of them for years (apart from the cobbled together Shogun Assassin) so it's a possibility but like I said, not like I could see
I did wonder about the validity of that observation when I read it somewhere because, as we know, Japanese cinema and Hong Kong cinema are very different propositions stylistically. Your comments support my initial thoughts.
Old 19th February 2011, 09:24 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

After re-watching Hapkido the other day I decided to search out some more Angela Mao films. I just finished watching Lady Whirlwind, and really enjoyed it. I liked the fact that no one in it was really a good guy, especially Angela Mao who didnt care who she killed to get her revenge.

Can anyone suggest any other good martial arts films with her in?
Old 19th February 2011, 10:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default The Heroic Trio

I recently managed to get my hands on the HKL magazine releases of The Heroic Trio and the sequel Executioners.

First of all they appear to be fully uncut, both feature the Cantonese and English dub tracks, and both feature very good quality anamorphic widescreen transfers. One of the problems with some of the other worldwide releases of these titles is that they are cut, although the new German set is apparently uncut. It does appear though that the HKL releases are actually superior in terms of image quality; with the former revealing more picture information within the frame and the German releases have been excessively brightened.

I enjoyed both films and I wish that HKL had got around to giving them special edition stand-alone retail releases.
Old 19th February 2011, 10:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default Blind Woman's Curse aka The Tattooed Swordswoman

I also got hold of the Discotek release of Blind Woman's Curse recently and sat down to watch it a few days ago. I decided to pick this one up mainly because it was directed by Teruo Ishii and stars Meiko Kaji.

Ishii is a director that I really admire and I first became aware of him when I saw Female Yakuza Tale, which sort of blew my mind at the time. When I first dipped my toe into the sinful waters of the Japanese pinky violence genre, I really liked what I saw. In many ways I was astonished because many of them are beautifully shot and effectively directed and yet are sleazy beyond belief. Generally I think many of us associate sleazy films with low-grade production values and uninspired direction, but the Japanese managed to combine visual artistry and exploitation in a way that I think few other countries have ever managed.

Ishii himself was something of a maverick and liked to do things his own way, and I really need to see more of his films. Blind Woman's Curse manages to combine swordplay, yakuza, occult, surreal and comedic elements to great effect and is defiantly Japanese. I would definitely recommend the film and Discotek's presentation is of a high standard.
Old 19th February 2011, 11:16 PM
Cult Rookie

Enter the dragon will always be a personal fave!
Old 19th February 2011, 11:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitfiend1989 View Post
Enter the dragon will always be a personal fave!
Damn right!!!
Old 19th February 2011, 11:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Yes, Enter the Dragon was a fine martial arts film. The cast was great too.
Old 20th February 2011, 06:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
After re-watching Hapkido the other day I decided to search out some more Angela Mao films. I just finished watching Lady Whirlwind, and really enjoyed it. I liked the fact that no one in it was really a good guy, especially Angela Mao who didnt care who she killed to get her revenge.

Can anyone suggest any other good martial arts films with her in?
Angela Mao has always been a favourit action star of mine. Films I personally enjoyed with her in asisde from the ones you have already mentioned are as follows:-

The Invincible Eight
The Angry River
When Taekwondo Strikes
The Tournament
Stoner
The Himalayan
A Queen's Ransom
Duel With The Devils
Moonlight Sword And Jade Lion
Broken Oath

and of course, Enter The Dragon.

There are still a few of her films I haven't got around to yet, but most of the ones I have mentioned above are available as part of the Fortune Star Legendary Collection so they are quite cheap.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Like this? Share it using the links below!