Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2011, 09:11 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Just noticed this 3 film Angela Mao collection at amazon for quite cheap. It has MOONLIGHT SWORD AND JADE LION, STING OF THE DRAGON, and DANCE OF DEATH.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deadly-China...8196505&sr=1-4
Old 20th February 2011, 11:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
Just noticed this 3 film Angela Mao collection at amazon for quite cheap. It has MOONLIGHT SWORD AND JADE LION, STING OF THE DRAGON, and DANCE OF DEATH.

Deadly China Doll Collection 3pc DVD Region 1 US Import NTSC: Amazon.co.uk: Angela Mao: DVD
Do not get this as picture quality is awful, taken off what looks like bootleg video prints.
Old 20th February 2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 View Post
Do not get this as picture quality is awful, taken off what looks like bootleg video prints.

S**t too late. Well at least i only paid £8 and not £20 like most of the sellers were asking.

Thanks for the heafs up though.
Old 26th February 2011, 03:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched Sonny Chiba's Golgo 13 last night and had a complete blast watching it and if no one has it, the PQ on the optimum dvd is off the chain...(thought i'd throw a little street lingo in there)
Old 26th February 2011, 08:24 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
Ishii himself was something of a maverick and liked to do things his own way, and I really need to see more of his films. Blind Woman's Curse manages to combine swordplay, yakuza, occult, surreal and comedic elements to great effect and is defiantly Japanese. I would definitely recommend the film and Discotek's presentation is of a high standard.
I agree about all of that. I'm a huge fan of Discotek and Teruo Ishii. I've only seen a small handful of his films, they've all been massively entertaining. I'm really eager to see Shogun's Joy Of Torture, that one looks particularly nasty.

Twitch - We Know Stuff
Old 17th March 2011, 09:07 AM

Last night I watched the Cine Asia BD of Fist of Legend. For some reason I thought I hadn't seen it before, but turns out I had. That didn’t spoil my enjoyment one bit though.

FoL has some of the best one on one fights I've seen in any martial arts film. The blindfolded fight between Jet Li and the Japanese master was just stunning, and so was the final fight with the military general. I was not surprised at all to see that the fight choreography was done by Yuen Woo Ping.

The only very slight problem I had was to me it looked like some of the fight sequences were slightly sped up (in a similar way to Iron Monkey another Woo Ping film), but over all I would recommend this to any martial arts fan that's not already seen it.
Old 21st March 2011, 09:48 PM
Cultist

Just watched a copy of Wushu starring Sammo Hung released in the UK by MVM. Good film but the dvd is cropped!! My full review is on my blog...
Asian Cult Cinema
Old 14th June 2011, 05:31 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Black Belt

Just like to mention that MVM are going to be releasiing Black Belt in the UK in July. This is a pretty big deal as it's one of the few martial arts films to feature authentic karate. The film is set just prior to world war 2 and is about the conflict between 2 students who both want the obi (belt) that belonged to their deceased master.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:24 AM

I watched Ong Bak 3(on BD) last night. I enjoed it more than the reviews I read made me believe I would, but a martial arts film where the main protagonist is crippled for a large amount of the film is always going to have problems.

There is a cool fight scene near the start where Tony Jass fights off a load of guards trying to cripple him with sticks, but that's it for him fighting anyone unitl about the last half hour of the film (it runs about 90 minutes).

Luckily, Dan Chupong, the films main villian, is around to pick up a bit of the action slack left by Jaa. He gets a couple of awesome fight scenes where he destroys a load of the kings soldiers. Plus the main show down at the end with Jaa, which was a bit brief for my liking.

The rest of the film is filled with the pretty simplistic plot, and what seems likes a million slow motion montages.

Worth a watch if you're a fan of Jaa, but it's no where near the standard of any of his other films.

Oh yeah, and watch out for Ton Jaa's magical disappearing beard that seems to vanish when he gets angry.
Old 18th June 2011, 12:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I like Stephen Chow's films - Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer and the superb God of Cookery.

He seems to have given up action roles after 2004's Kung Fu Hustle though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!