Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Action & Adventure

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th June 2011, 12:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I like Stephen Chow's films - Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer and the superb God of Cookery.

He seems to have given up action roles after 2004's Kung Fu Hustle though.
And don´t forget "Royal Tramp" and it´s sequel... I just love them.

Don´t know where you get the idea that he had given up action roles as he´s making "Tai Chi" (a remake of Way Of The Dragon) and "Kung Fu Hustle 2" is also in pre-production.
Old 18th June 2011, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
And don´t forget "Royal Tramp" and it´s sequel... I just love them.

Don´t know where you get the idea that he had given up action roles as he´s making "Tai Chi" (a remake of Way Of The Dragon) and "Kung Fu Hustle 2" is also in pre-production.
Nothing on IMDB.

Stephen Chow - IMDb
Old 18th June 2011, 01:35 PM
Cultist

Just watched Shaolin (2011).
Fabulous films, great sets, superb role for Andy Lau and Jackie Chan's cameo is small but pivotal to the plot. Glad i got the HK Blu ray. Cine Asia have it for release over here later this year but it has been cut for horse falls by the BBFC by 7 seconds.
Old 18th June 2011, 08:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Nothing on IMDB.

Stephen Chow - IMDb
We´re talking Asian cinema.
IMDB is not the right tool for that search.
Old 8th July 2011, 01:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

I see Optimum have just issued Thai fightfest Bangkok Knockout on DVD and BR. To be honest, i was unaware of this film until i saw it for sale at my local Morrisons yesterday. However, i checked out BK's trailer on YouTube afterwards and imo this movie looks amazing even by Thai action standards.
Old 8th July 2011, 01:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just finished watching Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame. It's a return to form for Tsui Hark with some superb action by Sammo Hung. Highly recommended.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 8th July 2011, 01:42 PM
Cultist

Beware of Bangkok Knockout, its a terrible film, the fights are amazing but the acting and story appalling, its like watching a show-reel for the stuntmen and it gets boring after 10 minutes.
Detective Dee was enjoyable, just watched the BD last night, definitely a return to form for Tsui Hark, the only criticism is a bit too much CGI in the action department but well worth a watch.
Old 9th July 2011, 09:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees5761 View Post
Beware of Bangkok Knockout, its a terrible film, the fights are amazing but the acting and story appalling, its like watching a show-reel for the stuntmen and it gets boring after 10 minutes.
Detective Dee was enjoyable, just watched the BD last night, definitely a return to form for Tsui Hark, the only criticism is a bit too much CGI in the action department but well worth a watch.
Cheers for the heads up regarding BK and i may grab Optimum's edition when it's a bit cheaper then. I confess i'm always more interested in action than words where these Eastern efforts are concerned but i'll certainly take heed of your advice.

I do fancy catching DDATMOTPF but once again when said title comes down in price. I tend not to pay top dollar for Cine Asia's range as the relevant releases usually reduce in cost as time goes by. I also intend snapping up Woochi: The Demon Slayer and Shaolin sometime down the line too.

Just recently grabbed Ip Man 2 for a nice price and i wasn't expecting this fightfest to be so cheap so soon but got a pleasant surprise proving otherwise. Force Of Five was also a suitably pocket-friendly purchase for yours truly too.

Last edited by Splatterdragon73; 9th July 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 9th July 2011, 07:54 PM
Cult Rookie

I've watching a lot of Shaw Brothers films lately. Last one was Holy Flame Of The Martial World, a late comer to the Shaw pantheon (1983), this is about as indicative of where the Shaw studio at this time, especially with more of the audience share going to see the Three Dragon holiday films, their time had passed and they were struggling to change.

This, however, is one of the more entertaining films from this period. It is just insane. People with laughter that can kill, everyone fighting over plastic sword that contain jewels that grow really big, a girl that gets bitten by a snake that gives her special powers in her finger... the list goes on. Brilliant, but not always for the right reasons.

Glad to hear that Shaolin gets a thumbs up. I will confess to being a little worried as I find Benny Chan a bit hit and miss.

Last edited by SeeNoEvil; 9th July 2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: I'm all fingers and thumbs.
Old 29th July 2011, 08:53 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I watched the Ringo Lam film Full Contact last night. Even though its got a lot of early 90's cheese, it's still a great film. Plenty of full on action (the disregaurd to the lives of innocent bystanders by the gang is particuarly brutal), and of course the always amazing Chow Yun Fat.

The picture on the HKL DVD seemed pretty decent, but I did only watch it on my comp. Looking foward to having a flick though the extras sometime soon.

Like this? Share it using the links below!