Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   The Van Damme Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/4968-van-damme-thread.html)

Splatterdragon73 12th November 2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 135202)
My fondest Van Damme memory must be watching the longer "unrated" version of "Hard Target" on UK VHS for the first time.:cool:
That flick was a real eye opener to me, introducing me to the films of John Woo and subsequently a lot more of HK/Asian cinema.:rockon:
Actingwise, I think he was pretty good in Ringo Lam's "Maximum Risk" as well as "Timecop" and "Sudden Death" while "Universal Soldier" was probably his purest "popcorn-fun" flick.:popcorn:
There's quite a gap in my collection, but I caught some of his more recent flicks again- like "Wake of Death" and the latest "Unisol", which I enjoyed far more than I anticipated.
I still have to catch up with "JCVD":nod:

I used to enjoy vintage Van Damme with the likes of Double Impact, Death Warrant, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Cyborg and A.W.O.L. However, yours truly can't really get away with these efforts nowadays as imo they've always paled in comparison with what Hong Kong and now Thailand can do. Gimme the likes of Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa anyday!

Van Damme's fight choreography also falls foul of Bruce Lee's approach with the bad guys standing around remaining deliberately defenceless and allowing the hero to get a few moves in.

I do still approve of US, HT and Timecop though, but i never liked SD. Subsequently, the abysmal Replicant caused me to abandon all hope in any new outings for 'The Muscles From Brussels'.:)

Andra Jai 12th November 2011 09:17 PM

its about time some more classics found their way to blu-ray,

having already got kickboxer, nowhere to run and timecop i would love to get any of the following on blu

no retreat no surrender
death warrant
sudden death
cyborg
hard target
legionaire

Pete 12th November 2011 09:47 PM

This will no doubt sound like heresy to all the folk on here but I can't stand Van Damme. :behindsofa:

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th November 2011 09:52 PM

I'd love Bloodsport to get a blu-ray release on it's own. Can't stand those double feature blu's (which are only going to get worse artwork now that Warner are starting with the triple feature blu-rays!)

Splatterdragon73 13th November 2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 197244)
its about time some more classics found their way to blu-ray.

I already own US on BR but does anybody know if Timecop is available in HD on U.K. shelves yet? I've currently only got the old R2 DVD (The PQ on which looks like it came from the prior U.K. LD.) and i'm unsure if this release is uncut.

HT would be another definite BR buy for me too.:)

Bringer Of Funerals 13th November 2011 10:04 AM

I want the new Assassination Games but i've always wondered what would the STDVD films would be like on blu

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th November 2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 197323)
I already own US on BR but does anybody know if Timecop is available in HD on U.K. shelves yet? I've currently only got the old R2 DVD (The PQ on which looks like it came from the prior U.K. LD.) and i'm unsure if this release is uncut.

Timecop is available on BD in the UK, and uncut.

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c021695-a725-d7a0.jpg

Bringer Of Funerals 13th November 2011 10:19 AM

picking that up

Bringer Of Funerals 13th November 2011 10:23 AM

Maximum Risk [Blu-ray] [2008][Region Free]: Amazon.co.uk: Zach Grenier, Jean-Hugues Anglade, Stephane Audran, Paul Ben-Victor, Natasha Henstridge, Frank Senger, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Ringo Lam, Moshe Diamant, Ltd. Bloodstone Film Productions: Film &

Paul@TheOverlook 13th November 2011 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 (Post 197323)

You must have either the Prism of Boulevard DVD, both of which are non-anamorphic. The Universal DVD is anamorphic and looks a lot better ;-)