Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   The Van Damme Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/4968-van-damme-thread.html)

antmumford 12th March 2011 09:22 PM

The Van Damme Thread

I just saw an advert on ITV4 for an upcoming documentary on Jean Claude Van Damme, it'll be airing on 22nd March. I thought I'd mention it on here as I'm sure it'll be really interesting.

Was shocked to see that there was no thread dedicated to him like there are for other action stars so thought I'd start one up myself.

What do you think of Jean? Any fond memories of seeing one of his films for the first time?

I always remember his really camp little appearance in Breakdance: the Movie which I just found so odd. I really do enjoy a lot of his films though and an underated actor to be honest after watching JCVD.

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th March 2011 10:04 PM

I have almost all of Van Damme's films. My favourites would have to be Bloodsport, Hard Target, Universal Soldier, Cyborg and Timecop, but tbh, Most of his pre- straight to dvd films come close. Even his more recent films are pretty entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antmumford 12th March 2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 135177)
I have almost all of Van Damme's films. My favourites would have to be Bloodsport, Hard Target, Universal Soldier, Cyborg and Timecop, but tbh, Most of his pre- straight to dvd films come close. Even his more recent films are pretty entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard Target is on ITV HD as we speak, I should have set it to record :(

Peter Neal 13th March 2011 07:05 AM

My fondest Van Damme memory must be watching the longer "unrated" version of "Hard Target" on UK VHS for the first time.:cool:
That flick was a real eye opener to me, introducing me to the films of John Woo and subsequently a lot more of HK/Asian cinema.:rockon:
Actingwise, I think he was pretty good in Ringo Lam's "Maximum Risk" as well as "Timecop" and "Sudden Death" while "Universal Soldier" was probably his purest "popcorn-fun" flick.:popcorn:
There's quite a gap in my collection, but I caught some of his more recent flicks again- like "Wake of Death" and the latest "Unisol", which I enjoyed far more than I anticipated.
I still have to catch up with "JCVD":nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th March 2011 12:52 PM

It's a shame that Universal has never released Woo's Director's cut of Hard Target. While the European unrated cut is a lot better than the butchered R-Rated version the US got, The DC has even more violence in it, including the graphic slicing of Randall Pope's ear.

darthelvis 13th March 2011 02:00 PM

No Retreat No Surrender was my first JCVD film and I still love it. Blood Sport is my favourite of his films, one long overdue a Blu Ray release.

Not seen many of his recent films but did buy The Shepherd in Poundland.

darthelvis 13th March 2011 06:28 PM

Just noticed Bloodsport is on Blu Ray in U.S. and Australia with Time Cop, I see a purchase coming up!

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th March 2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthelvis (Post 135310)
Just noticed Bloodsport is on Blu Ray in U.S. and Australia with Time Cop, I see a purchase coming up!

I already have the UK Timecop blu-ray so I'm waiting to see if Bloodsport gets a standalone release somewhere.

wayfarer 14th March 2011 12:43 PM

Ok, my use of this forum is getting very expensive. What version of Hard Target can you recommend? Is the DC cut available. AS Universal hasn't released it then I'd guess not. I own the UK DVD release which is this 116 Minute "European Cut"?

I started watching JCVD in Bloodsport, Kickboxer and Cyborg. I always thought that Cyborg was heavily edited and have only found out recently that it was. The director, Albert Pyun, was kicked out of the editing suite by JCVD and someone else and the movie was re-scored by Kevin Bassinson. The Director's Cut is now available but the quality is rough given that it was taken from two long last VHS screeners, that the original composer owned, and JC was dubbed as the print had been created before he completed his ADR on the movie.
If anyone is interested, the DC can be bought through Curran Pictures, through Albert's Facebook page. But, it is for hardcore fans only.

i lost interest in JC's career post Double Team.

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th March 2011 05:49 PM

I emailed Curran pictures about the CYBORG Director's Cut. Seems like it is an added extra that comes with Pyun's new movie BULLETFACE.