All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th February 2012, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostclassics View Post
Gojirosan and Wongfeihung62, you both sure know your Godzilla movies. I love the whole Godzilla pantheon. Ever since watching Son of Godzilla.
I put up a review on my site for Gojira/Godzilla King of Monsters Gojira (1954)/Godzilla King of the Monsters (1956) | The Lost Classics

As much as I really liked Final Wars - thought it was a cool touch seeing Zilla get blown into the Sydney Opera House - it would be great to see some new Godzilla films. I know there was talk of Gareth (Monsters) Edwards making a Hollywood revamp. Could be cool.
Nice in-depth review. It would be great if you could put it on this thread , so we can have some Godzilla/kaiju reviews.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
Old 20th February 2012, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Got this today. A Japanese DVD of King Kong vs Godzilla.

bdc and Gojirosan like this.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
Old 21st February 2012, 07:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

There's nothing like a good bit of giant rubber monster action.
Gojirosan and wongfeihung62 like this.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Good Lord! The Media Blasters Blu-Ray of Destroy All Monsters is astonishing. Quite astounding AV quality. Can't recommend it enough if you have Region A playback.
wongfeihung62 likes this.
Old 23rd February 2012, 02:54 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Man, I couldn't get enough of Gojira and all the kaiju films when I was a kid, and I still think they're tons of fun now that I'm in my thirties! Though I'm still bitter about that big ape Kong taking down my beloved G.

While I only own Gojira on DVD, I loved watching Mothra and Rodan when I was a kid, and was surprisingly entertained by Final Wars as well, especially when Big G takes out Shitty American Remake G.! Classic!

Speaking of 'final wars,' that Final Box is OUTSTANDING! What a collection! No wonder it's OOP.
wongfeihung62 likes this.
Old 24th February 2012, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Good Lord! The Media Blasters Blu-Ray of Destroy All Monsters is astonishing. Quite astounding AV quality. Can't recommend it enough if you have Region A playback.
I have heard that it was region free.
Old 24th February 2012, 08:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 View Post
I have heard that it was region free.
Apparently so. It says A on the sleeve, but others assert it is Free.
Old 24th February 2012, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyther View Post
Man, I couldn't get enough of Gojira and all the kaiju films when I was a kid, and I still think they're tons of fun now that I'm in my thirties! Though I'm still bitter about that big ape Kong taking down my beloved G.
While I only own Gojira on DVD, I loved watching Mothra and Rodan when I was a kid, and was surprisingly entertained by Final Wars as well, especially when Big G takes out Shitty American Remake G.! Classic!

Speaking of 'final wars,' that Final Box is OUTSTANDING! What a collection! No wonder it's OOP.
King Kong was the more popular monster at the time of the release of KKVG, hence why he appears to be the victor at the end.

Unfortunately a lot of the SE Godzilla sets are now OOP or at stupid prices.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

GODZILLA VS DESTROYAH REVIEW.

This is the 1995 follow up to GODZILLA VS SPACE GODZILLA and sees our titular hero take on a new menace in DESTROYAH aka DESTOROYAH aka DESTROYER, spawned from the oxygen destroyer weapon used to kill the original 1954 Godzilla.

In this episode little Godzilla is missing, presumed dead and big G is on the verge of a nuclear meltdown that would destroy the Earth. The flying Super-X III is used to freeze Godzilla and forstall the meltdown, meanwhile a pre - Cambrian life form has mutated from the original oxygen destroyer weapon, first in the form of crab-like creatures and eventually evolving into a huge creature, larger than big G.

Meanwhile little Godzilla appears, alive and much larger than before and is dubbed Godzilla junior by the JSDF.
I will not give too much of the plot away except to say,the scene is now set with a showdown with Destroyah against Godzilla and junior , with the fate of the Earth in the balance.

The review is from the Reg 3 Universe Hong Kong release, which is in Japanese and Cantonese 2.0 stereo and with Chinese and English subtitles.
It is in a non-anamorphis widescreen print. Colours are vibrant and blacks seemed solid, although as I was watching this on a 15 inch TV it was hard to give an completely accurate picture quality.
The lack of a 5.1 soundtrack was dissapointing although the 2.0 stereo track was solid and hiss free.

The only annoying thing was the subtitles, there is a seperate Chinese sub track, yet the English subs also come with the Chinese subs on top as well. ??????

Some great special FX and a very cool antagonist for our hero to face. It is available at a quite reasonable price and a great addition to any Godzilla fans movie collection.

1995 Toho films. Colour. 103 mins approx.

Gojirosan and RedEyeTheCylon like this.

Last edited by wongfeihung62; 24th February 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

released on 28th March on Japanese DVD. No Kaiju fan should be without this in their collection.

The X From Outer Space / Uchu Daikaiju Girara - Play-Asia.com

GIRARA - Guila - The X from outer space - YouTube
Gojirosan and RedEyeTheCylon like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!