Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2012, 12:36 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Ninjas!

"It can't be...all ninjas are dead"

Famous lines from Chuck Norris there in the Ninja-tastic action flick, The Octagon (out on DVD & for the first time ever, Blu-Ray on the 30th July!). But you can never kill ninjas. Everyone knows that.

They're Super Quick. They're Super Quiet. And they're Super deadly.

In fact, a ninja may be sneaking up to you right now as you read this, ready to tear your limb from limb in the blink of an eye.

(Admit it! You looked behind you!)

But what are the greatest Ninja films of all time? Where does the increible Octagon compare in Ninja history?

Share your thoughts here! From Shogun Assassin to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Hiyaaaa!

Last edited by iluvdvds@Cult Labs; 9th July 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 9th July 2012, 01:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
My fave Ninja outings must surely be the Sho Kosugi sword 'n' shuriken epics Enter The Ninja, Revenge Of The Ninja and Ninja III:The Domination. Cannon classics all of 'em along with American Ninja. Pray For Death is another winner too although not from the same studio.

Can't recall much about Sakura Killers bar EIV's terrific trailer and i also admit to enjoying the recent Ninja Assassin. However, from what i've seen of the Scott Adkins vehicle, Ninja i'm not impressed.

Shogun Assassin can't fail to entertain but this slash smash is more Samurai powered than anything else imo. The same goes for the Lone Wolf And Cub saga. Still, great fun though.

There's also the overrated Eastern effort Ninja In The Dragon's Den and the Shaw Bros. contribution Five Element Ninja. I'm also prepared to give Norwegian Ninja a go too but count me out of a viewing of The Ninja Mission. Yours truly always struggled to get to grips with this film.

I daresay i may even take a chance on watching a Godfrey Ho 'shadow warrior' schlockfest sooner or later.
mr 420 likes this.
Old 9th July 2012, 01:29 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Ninja have not faired well in the cinema, really.

You Only Live Twice is probably the best film to feature ninja, and the Enter The Ninja is wonderful load of camp tosh.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:35 PM
Cult Addict

Revenge of the Ninja. There is so much I love about this film, from the music to the set-peices, Arthur Roberts as the evil Braden and Sho Kosugi's best performance IMO. The stunt in which the evil ninja death slides (for the lack of a better term!) tens of floors up between the two sky scrapers is one of my favourite stunts of all time.
mark meakin likes this.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:48 PM
Cult Addict

A mention must go to the mighty Yagyu clan from the Baby Cart series. From female ninjas wielding razor-sharp vegtables to idols coming to life in temples! Quality stuff.
mark meakin and bdc like this.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Five Element Ninjas is fun.
Old 10th July 2012, 05:58 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Enter The Ninja is wonderful load of camp tosh.
Yep and whereas Franco Nero makes a fine spagwest leading man he's no great shakes as a 'shadow warrior'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Revenge of the Ninja. There is so much I love about this film, from the music to the set-peices, Arthur Roberts as the evil Braden and Sho Kosugi's best performance IMO.
Agreed and imo ROTN is surely still one of the best Ninja actioners out there. Pretty much peerless in more or less every way and you gotta love the scene where Kosugi fights tooth 'n' nail against the thugs trying to steal his antiques!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
A mention must go to the mighty Yagyu clan from the Baby Cart series. From female ninjas wielding razor-sharp vegtables to idols coming to life in temples! Quality stuff.
I wouldn't fancy my chances trying to escape a room full of these fierce 'n' formidable females!
mr 420 likes this.
Old 10th July 2012, 02:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I always thought THE HUNTED (1995) was underrated.The fight scene on the bullet train is great & the BBFC restored the brief cuts for dvd.:-
The Hunted (1995) - IMDb
mr 420 likes this.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:01 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Thanks for all your great suggestions already, guys! I've put some of them into our countdown of the greatest Ninja films of all time....

Top Ninja Films: Part One

Part Two will be up in the very near future so be sure to post your favourite ninja films here and I'll include them in the list!

Old 17th July 2012, 11:44 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Thanks to some more recommendations on Facebook, here's Part two of the top Ninja Films including a certain piece of Godfrey Ho trash

Top Ninja Films: Part Two

Like this? Share it using the links below!