Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Frankenhooker
  • 3 Post By Gojirosan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2012, 01:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Default Arrow DVD's Unscalable/playable on Future Tech?

Will DVD's become unplayable/unscalable on the next generation of TV's (4K) and disc player's.

I have currently the ZFE Slipcase and DVD. What I am kinda worried about is that in the future if I sell my ZFE Slipcase BluRay and only have the DVD copy left then the next tech leap from BluRay player's (perhaps 4K players?) wont be able to play the old DVD format. So if I bought the steelbook I got a BluRay that I can sell and a BluRay that I know is a future proof format for 4K (because as far as I presume 4K players would be able to upscale BluRays, (like BluRay players can upscale DVD) but crucially not standard definition DVD's. The thing is that the steelbook is now, minimally 20 quid and being a student I really dont think I can afford it!
Old 24th December 2012, 08:16 AM
Cultist

Are you kidding me?! Where did you find that info???
I'm not even over the VHS->DVD switch yet and now they wanna do it again?

Looks like I'm gonna have to have 2 telly's in the future if thats the case..I still wanna keep my CRT haha, wouldn't want to imagine how bad some stuff would look upscaled that much
Old 24th December 2012, 08:41 AM
Seasoned Cultist

If you're debating whether you can afford the £20 steelbook, I wouldn't waste your time worrying about 4k at the minute.

The TVs are going for over £10k and as yet, there is a minute amount of content available.

4k TVs becoming common place is at least five years away in my opinion, and even then I doubt the cost will be worth the content.

8k has been trialled in Japan, so where do you stop ?
Old 24th December 2012, 02:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

So I shouldn't worry that my Arrow ZFE DVD will become unplayable/scalable/defunct in the future?
Old 25th December 2012, 03:13 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
So I shouldn't worry that my Arrow ZFE DVD will become unplayable/scalable/defunct in the future?
Viewers will benefit from the resolution (3840 × 2160) of a 4k Ultra High-definition television IF they watch 4k blu-rays on, at least, a 42 inch LCD/LED/Plasma or bigger-sized widescreen tv. Only then the differences are noticeable.

If we are watching a 4k blu-ray disc on a 40 inch LCD/LED/Plasma or smaller-sized widescreen television, the differences are subtle.

Unless you are planning to watch blu-rays on a 42 inch or bigger-sized widescreen tv or a home projector, there isn't any need to upgrade from blu-ray to 4k blu-rays, which are meant for those who have the tv/projector screen capable of displaying the significant jump in resolution.

As for dvds, we could watch them on a blu-ray player upscaled on a 40 inch or smaller-sized LCD/LED/Plasma tv to get the best result. However, we won't be satisfied with the picture quality if we watch them on, say, a 46 inch LCD/LED/Plasma tv, much less a 100 inch projector screen due to the limited resolution of the dvd itself. Only then a blu-ray or a 4k blu-ray disc is required to fill in the gap in the resolution.

That's my humble opinion. So no worries.

Last edited by dvdaficionado; 25th December 2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 25th December 2012, 09:16 AM
Cult Addict

I don't know how eager people will be to adopt ANOTHER format. The uptake on blu-ray was a lot slower than the industry expected, personally i'll be keeping a standard blu-ray/multi region dvd player as long as possible. I made the mistake of abandoning vhs too soon and theres a bunch of films I cannot get. I can pretty much guess theres a bunch of stuff I have on dvd that'll just vanish if the format gets abandoned.
Old 25th December 2012, 10:51 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I can't see a point to letting the fear of technological advance stopping you enjoying films now.

By the time an essential format worthy of upgrading to comes along you might be financially comfortable or have very different priorities. Don't flap about the future. Just enjoy what you have.

I don't have surround sound, I don't have 1080P, my TV is only 26", I still watch VHS and Laserdisc if that's all I have.

Enjoy the films you have now.

Like this? Share it using the links below!