Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2013, 12:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default TIME BANDITS-STEELBOOK/BLU RAY/DVD DISCUSSION THREAD

Time Bandits SteelBook / Blu-ray / DVD

… THEY DIDN’T MAKE HISTORY, THEY STOLE IT!

The film that established Terry Gilliam as more than just Monty Python’s resident animator, this delightfully inventive children’s fantasy is about young Kevin (Craig Warnock) who finds himself travelling through holes in the space-time continuum in the company of half a dozen fractious dwarfs.

Along the way, he encounters Agamemnon (Sean Connery), Robin Hood (John Cleese), Napoleon (Ian Holm) and winds up as a passenger on the Titanic, although not necessarily in that order. But is this just random entertainment laid on for history fan Kevin’s benefit, or part of a wider struggle between the forces of good (Ralph Richardson) and evil (David Warner)?

At the time, this was a rare example of a small-budget British film successfully taking on American blockbusters. Now, it's a much-loved fantasy classic bursting with inspired images and ideas: Gilliam and co-writer Michael Palin (who also appears) are clearly enjoying themselves as much as their audience.

Special Features:
- Brand new 2k-resolution restoration of the film from the original camera negative, approved by director and co-writer Terry Gilliam
- Original uncompressed PCM Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio options
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Chasing Time Bandits: A new interview with Terry Gilliam
- Writing the Film that Dares Not Speak its Name: A new interview in which Michael Palin discusses co-writing and acting in Time Bandits
- The Effects of Time Bandits: A new interview in which Kent Houston, founder of the Peerless Camera Company, discusses Time Bandits’ optical effects
- Playing Evil: A new featurette in which actor David Warner remembers producer George Harrison and playing Evil in Time Bandits
- The Costumes of Time Bandits: A new interview with costume designer James Acheson
- The Look of Time Bandits: A new interview with production designer Milly Burns
- From Script to Screen – A new animated featurette in which Milly Burns takes us through her production notebooks, locations photographs and storyboards revealing how twentieth century Morocco was transformed into Ancient Greece
- Original Trailer
- Restoration Demonstration
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic James Oliver

Also available in Limited Edition SteelBook and DVD

Released 19th August

Time Bandits, Terry Gilliam

Hawkmonger likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th April 2013, 12:44 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Arrow have a very impressive selection of titles in this announcement. Possibly one of my fav announcements from them - at least in a long time.
Old 26th April 2013, 11:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

This one was a complete surprise to me, but it's good, since it's in dire need of a new transfer,

Also looking forward to a light Bly steelbook

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 27th April 2013, 10:41 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I never expected Arrow to release this and, with those extra features and a brand new 2K HD encoding, the only question is whether to buy the steelbook or the standard packaging.
Old 30th April 2013, 02:55 AM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to Lou Longshanks

The announcement of Time Bandits seems a little baffling, if because I already have the film on Blu-Ray (and I'm assuming I'm not the only one).

I get that Gilliam's film had an arguably average high-definition transfer, and was a little thin on bonus material, but I certainly wasn't anticipating a new release of it to say the least. Atleast Arrow's decision to put out Time Bandits on Steelbook might eventually sway me over but I'd much rather see The Burning, Murder Rock or Braindead get similar treatment through them first.

I am anticipating the rest of Arrow's release schedule however and already have my pre-order in for The Fall of the House of Usher.
Old 30th April 2013, 03:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Longshanks View Post
The announcement of Time Bandits seems a little baffling, if because I already have the film on Blu-Ray (and I'm assuming I'm not the only one).

I get that Gilliam's film had an arguably average high-definition transfer, and was a little thin on bonus material, but I certainly wasn't anticipating a new release of it to say the least. Atleast Arrow's decision to put out Time Bandits on Steelbook might eventually sway me over but I'd much rather see The Burning, Murder Rock or Braindead get similar treatment through them first.

I am anticipating the rest of Arrow's release schedule however and already have my pre-order in for The Fall of the House of Usher.
The Burning is stuck with rights problems in the UK and nobody knows who really owns it, which is why Arrow havent put it out yet. It would have been out already if they knew who had it, as they said they have tried.

As for Braindead, Wingnut films are working on HD transfers for all of his early films, with Bad Taste actually confirmed as getting a restoration, but they've been put on hold while the Hobbit films are in production, and they aren't doing any rights or liscencing negotiations until the Hobbit is all done and released.
Once again, Arrow have said they've tried to get them, but can't.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 5th September 2013, 10:11 PM
Cult Addict

Someone has out a review on Amazon for the steelbook. Ok now they've given the overall package a glowing review but I was stumped when they pointed out that their only complaint was the fact that all the disc info was on a silly bit of paper glued to the back that actually had to be removed to open the steelbook. And that the glue holding it on is very weak and the paper is coming unstuck. Eh??
Old 5th September 2013, 10:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Someone has out a review on Amazon for the steelbook. Ok now they've given the overall package a glowing review but I was stumped when they pointed out that their only complaint was the fact that all the disc info was on a silly bit of paper glued to the back that actually had to be removed to open the steelbook. And that the glue holding it on is very weak and the paper is coming unstuck. Eh??
It's amazon the stupidity and moaning about nothing never stops amazing me
Old 5th September 2013, 11:54 PM
Cult Addict

Well I just found it odd, who would buy a Time Bandits steelbook but be so clueless as to the packaging design.
Maybe it's just be, and I mean no offence to anyone.
Old 6th September 2013, 08:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Well I just found it odd, who would buy a Time Bandits steelbook but be so clueless as to the packaging design.
Maybe it's just be, and I mean no offence to anyone.
I didn't mean you I meant some of the posters on amazon they bitch and moan about the stupidest things

Like this? Share it using the links below!