Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   I wonder why Arrow turned down the Yorga films for BD? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/11031-i-wonder-why-arrow-turned-down-yorga-films-bd.html)

Daemonia 11th June 2013 01:28 PM

I wonder why Arrow turned down the Yorga films for BD?

Apparently Arrow were offered the Yorga films in HD but they declined. I'm a bit annoyed about this! I know, I know, Arrow aren't here anymore, but I'm mad as hell at missing out on these in HD!

Oh, and don't look to the US either, Scream! Factory also turned them down.

Maybe we can pin our hopes on somewhere like Germany...?

the blob 11th June 2013 02:40 PM

Aren't the MM releases still the only DVD releases available (or not anymore)? Thought somewhere else would have released them by now.

I think Scream based their decision on those not selling well.

Demoncrat 11th June 2013 04:15 PM

That's a real shame. :(

bdc 11th June 2013 06:10 PM

I really like the first one so it's a bit sad to read this.

Daemonia 12th June 2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 346569)
I think Scream based their decision on those not selling well.

Now that's the thing that baffles me. MGM released Count Yorga, Vampire not once, but twice. Once as a standalone release and once as a double feature with The Return of Count Yorga. Now, if it sold so badly, why re-release it? That really doesn't make good business sense and also hints at the fact that the first film did well enough to warrant a re-release with a bonus attraction throw in as well. Why bother doing that if it didn't sell? Either someone, somewhere is lying, or MGM are lousy businessmen.

Vampix 12th June 2013 12:08 PM

I'd buy the Count Yorga movies - I missed out on the MGM DVDs.I'd buy them either on BD or DVD, not bothered which tbh.I remember them being shown by the BBC years ago, I taped both and had the tape for ages before someone taped over them. :rolleyes:

the blob 12th June 2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 346685)
Now that's the thing that baffles me. MGM released Count Yorga, Vampire not once, but twice. Once as a standalone release and once as a double feature with The Return of Count Yorga. Now, if it sold so badly, why re-release it? That really doesn't make good business sense and also hints at the fact that the first film did well enough to warrant a re-release with a bonus attraction throw in as well. Why bother doing that if it didn't sell? Either someone, somewhere is lying, or MGM are lousy businessmen.

Well, with the trouble MGM were in 7-8 years ago I think we can assume some of the latter. :lol:

By all accounts, the MM series was quite troubled. They churned out loads of the double features in two years then it stopped until they went with Fox who added in some of their titles. While I was happy for them, I think they released too many too quickly at a time when there were loads of genre releases coming out.

Incidentally, Shout are now re-releasing some of the MM sci-if titles but as cheap 4-film packs and on DVD only.

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th June 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 346685)

Or the opposite. Maybe it sold a decent amount, not huge, and they thought more people might buy both films together. They don't always have to be lying. :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th June 2013 07:39 PM

Pity about Yorga.

Kittens the world over are now safe again!;)

Daemonia 13th June 2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 346737)
Or the opposite. Maybe it sold a decent amount, not huge, and they thought more people might buy both films together. They don't always have to be lying. :)

True enough. I guess I'm just a bit sore that no-one seems to want to put out the Yorga films on Blu. I was quite hoping they'd surface on BD sooner rather than later.