Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2009, 10:09 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I love some of the transfers that are coming out on Blu-ray but some of these older low-budget films frankly ahve more atmosphere with a touch of hiss, pop and crackle! It's like you're looking back in time. But hey I know plenty will disagree.
Old 15th October 2009, 11:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yeah, some films suit looking grubby like Dont Answer the Phone.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 26th June 2010, 08:49 PM
Cult Rookie

Being very new to this forum, I only had City of the Living Dead on blu, with Martin & Macabre on order.

I just got Macabre in the mail, and although I had seen the artwork online, I was still surprised at just how funny it was in real life! It actually made me laugh out loud. So deliciously over the top - I love it! Definitely going with the new artwork here!

Can't wait to see this movie, as my only previous encounter with it was the artwork in the "Shock! Horror!" book. Hope that Beatrice Stegers lives up to expectations after the Wilson Bros review!
Old 27th June 2010, 10:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchotchke View Post
Hope that Beatrice Stegers lives up to expectations after the Wilson Bros review!
Shouldn't that be 'Bernice' Stegers?

The actress may have starred in Four Weddings And A Funeral as well as some Fellini effort or another (i think!) but we all know she'll never escape Macabre and Xtro where us good folk here are concerned!

Lamberto Bava's vintage shocker is a little gem of a film and a worthy purchase on DVD to be sure.
Old 1st July 2010, 03:43 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Shouldn't that be 'Bernice' Stegers?
It should! Good catch!

I enjoyed this a great deal - its been a while since I've watched something that took me back to the 80s in all the best ways! I rewatched Suspiria recently and actually had a lot more fun watching this. Maybe its because its fresh to me and I know Suspiria backwards.

Could have done without the last shot though.

Did anyone find that the sync seemed off? I know its a dub and all, but it seemed the sound was a tad off. I was watching on my Momitsu region-free clone.
Old 9th July 2010, 03:15 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchotchke View Post

Did anyone find that the sync seemed off? I know its a dub and all, but it seemed the sound was a tad off. I was watching on my Momitsu region-free clone.
Bumping after nine reply-free days! Surely on these boards there must be a couple of Macabre fans who might comment?
Old 9th July 2010, 03:24 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

The dub for Macabre always seemed a bit loose but no more than is typical for a lot of these films I'd say.
Old 9th July 2010, 08:39 PM
Cult Rookie

Cheers, Almar. I just took a look on my Malata 996 upstairs, and while the lipsync is as you say, "loose" I didn't find the sound effects as distractingly off as the other night.

Maybe I'm just out of practice!
Old 10th July 2010, 11:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I love some of the transfers that are coming out on Blu-ray but some of these older low-budget films frankly ahve more atmosphere with a touch of hiss, pop and crackle! It's like you're looking back in time. But hey I know plenty will disagree.
First, don´t get me wrong for what I´m about to say because it´s only mmy personal opinion...

I agree... for me old school horror is meant to be seen with a little grain, hiss, pop, crackles, etc.

I think it´s wrong to see a movie with more definition than the one presented when we saw them on the big screen. As a whole, HD is good but only for the recent products. Sure, I´ve seen old movies in Blu-Ray and some of them look fantastic (Texas Chain Saw Massacre) but at the end of the day I keep re-watching them in DVD.

I keep buying loads of DVDs every month and I´m only buying Blu-Rays of horror classics. The only Blus that I have for now are Halloween, Hellraiser, Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Even Arrow´s City of The Living Dead I bought on Blu-Ray.
Old 11th July 2010, 09:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
As a whole, HD is good but only for the recent products. Sure, I´ve seen old movies in Blu-Ray and some of them look fantastic (Texas Chain Saw Massacre) but at the end of the day I keep re-watching them in DVD.

I keep buying loads of DVDs every month and I´m only buying Blu-Rays of horror classics.
I'm very much in agreement there.

There's plenty of titles i own that i don't like anywhere near enough to buy again in HD so the DVD copy will suffice. You can still watch the movies in question in 1080P if you play the discs in an upscaling DVD machine or BR equivalent.

I tend to be quite selective when purchasing BR releases. Only my absolute fave films will be bought in HD. Every other movie i have i'm happy to keep in it's original SD version.

After offtakes, most of what's left of my wages goes on DVDs too with only the odd BR buy here and there for now. But there's definitely a myriad of other HD editions i'm after which will have to wait for the moment.

Like this? Share it using the links below!