Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

View Poll Results: Would you pay a little extra if the Arrow Video DVDs came with an A2-sized poster?
Yes please - I need to redecorate and this seems like a cheap way to do it. 21 95.45%
No way - stick your poster up your arse - I only want to watch the film 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. This poll is closed

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2009, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Send a message via MSN to siccoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiren View Post
Yes please! And a high res digital copy of the poster on the DVD too please?
I've been wishing people had done this since forever.
Old 19th April 2009, 09:38 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hell yeah....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th April 2009, 06:33 PM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Well I'm in the minority here. If I want a poster I'll buy a poster, I don't want to pay extra on my dvds for one whether I want it or not!
Old 20th April 2009, 10:22 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileysmile18 View Post
Well I'm in the minority here. If I want a poster I'll buy a poster, I don't want to pay extra on my dvds for one whether I want it or not!
They go a long way towards making buying a DVD package a lot more attractive... especially when it's so easy for someone to make copies for mates, or for them to just download it.

You've got to give people good reasons why it's better to own a physical copy of something, rather than just having a digital copy.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:45 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well increasingly this is an issue. A lot of the Shameless titles turn up instantly on Bit Torrent sites with all the extras and it's very hard to fight that. The thinking is true collectors will want to own the physical product and as such DVDs are rather dull - same old case, same old artwork - nothing to play with so we're looking to address that as long as it's something people want.
Old 20th April 2009, 12:11 PM
Active Cultist

You've got exactly the right attitude towards it though, Almar.

To be honest I get a little fed up with seeing some of the releasing companies moan about it, but not do anything to address it.

If you make the DVD/Blu-ray package attractive enough over just a plain download, it will fly out. Cheap skates who rip-off DVDs are never going to be interested in quality, they're not the ones who they'd be selling to in the first place.

Film aficionados are the ones who spend money on films and they want definitive best quality versions. Give them that, and the sales will be great.
Old 20th April 2009, 04:15 PM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiren View Post
Film aficionados are the ones who spend money on films and they want definitive best quality versions. Give them that, and the sales will be great.
A free poster would hardly turn a dvd into a definitive best quality version though. I'd much rather the money was put into the dvd transfer and any new extras. If a freebie MUST be enclosed, then surely an informative booklet would be much more useful?

It could easily contain as much info as the fact track commentary. One of the best booklets I've ever seen packaged with a dvd was the Midnight Media one in Living Dead at Manc Morgue, or the similar Blind Dead one.
Old 20th April 2009, 04:19 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I'm a fan of a good booklet and that's something that could be considered for future releases or even the back of the poster could form a booklet - who knows. These are hopefully the first three of a series of releases so it's a good chance as a testbed to see what people want.
Old 20th April 2009, 04:29 PM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
I'm a fan of a good booklet and that's something that could be considered for future releases or even the back of the poster could form a booklet.
Haha, that's very diplomatic!

I think the silliest dvd gimmick I've seen was when Noshame released Soavi's Uno Bianco, and it came with a sheet of card where you pushed the pieces out and constructed your own White Fiat Uno.

I guess I can sort of understand the posters thing with regards to the Masters of Giallo range, seeing as how the artwork is brand new and unavailable elsewhere in poster form. I just don't see it being any sort of incentive to anyone who's not already a member of this forum. I wouldn't double dip on Sleepless for a poster, but I WOULD for an improved transfer or nice wee extras.
Old 20th April 2009, 04:43 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

It's not just diplomacy It's also a time constraint now - a good booklet is going to take time we don't have. Also I'd stress any insert is not going to be at the cost of the film presentation - that comes first but is limited in terms of what is viable. It might be prohibitive to go really crazy on the film so that never happens but quite modest to include a poster if that makes any sense!

Anyway there will be some wee extras!

Like this? Share it using the links below!