Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th September 2009, 12:45 PM
Active Cultist

I don't think the market is that small anymore. All the local supermarkets around here have got quite large Blu-ray sections now... and are also selling cheap Blu-ray machines. It's pretty much going in the same direction as DVD once that really lifted off.

I just want to be able to buy the definitive version of Dawn Of The Dead, and I want to see Arrow get it right... and would rather they wait to release it and get it done properly.

The Blu-ray market is global, and I know Blue Underground rely heavily on other territories other than the US & Canada to ensure they sell enough Blu-ray discs. You've got to want to make people all over the World want to buy your version, like Shameless have done with Footprints.

Not wanting this to slag off Arrow for doing this... but I feel it's only right we should feedback honestly on this one. There needs to be a real killer feature that distinguishes it from what else is already readily available out there.
Old 8th September 2009, 12:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

At this moment in time, with the Blu-ray market as it stands, I think Arrow have got it right. You make good points though and I understand where you're coming from. However, if Arrow have licensed the film for a certain time window, waiting might not be an option, or else they'll be just sitting on the rights until they expire. I'd rather have something than nothing at all.

So maybe we should ask Arrow the pertinent question of: 'How feasible is it to commission HD masters of the other two cuts?'
Old 8th September 2009, 01:01 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiren View Post
Beat this into submission please Arrow:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/967/...edead1978.html

I believe with regard to content and having the 3 cuts of the movie together,it's already been beaten in submission and then some.

Yes,while it would have been nice to have all 3 cuts in Hi-def and all the commentaries from the Anchor Bay ultimate edition,this release will have more extras than AB's blu-ray and the other 2 cuts.I know some people will wait to see if sommeone comes out with something better but for most of us,this release is shaping up to be top notch.

How many other companies reallly listen to what people have to say and take on their suggestions and get involved in things like having a say on the artwork etc? Both Arrow and Shameless are to be commended and long may they continue bringing great releases to us hungry punters
Old 8th September 2009, 03:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I agree, the HD cut is the main sales pitch, so both US / UK should be level there, but the UK release is gonna feature two extra bonus cuts of the film , ok they're SD , but one of them's the Argento cut , which as far as I know has never had an offical UK release before, so HD or SD this alone is a massive plus over the Starz release, then add to that the Directors preferred version , plus extras as well , and the ARROW package is easily the best release of this film anywhere.
It will definitely be the collectors choice.
Old 9th September 2009, 01:18 PM
Active Cultist

Wouldn't most collectors/people into the film already have those on DVD? I do. Most would own the Blu-ray version too if they've got the equipment.

So if I purchased the current Blu-ray today, I could have the HD version tomorrow, and already have all the DVD versions too.

I'm not sure what waiting for the Arrow release would gain me?

See what I mean?

Sorry to sound so negative, I'm just disappointed having learnt of the changes to the release... and for me it sounds pretty superfluous now. It's not adding anything as most fans of the film already own all the material that's going to be offered by Arrow.

I'd rather they held off releasing this until they do it properly.
Old 9th September 2009, 02:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I do see what you mean eiren, but wouldn't it be nice to have then all in one package.?

I currently dont own Argento's cut on DVD. I had it on VHS donkeys ago but thats long gone

I know its disappointing that all 3 aren't BluRay HD but I imagine that film condition, cost and time to make it an all Hi Def package played a part in ARROW's final decision on how to release this. .
I recon they looked at what the opposition was and put together a clearly better alternative, that imho wont be bettered for quite some time to come , as although its a well known title with cross over appeal, its still basically a 30 year old , low budget, horror film and as such this is overall a pretty impressive package that you normally dont see for such films here in the UK .
Look at Hostel and Hostel 2 , 1 version and not much else, and Roth was the 'bankable cool kid' at the time of they're release.

Although the other 2 DOTD films are in SD im sure ARROW will have them in a good high quality so that they should look great when upscaled.

Last edited by vipco; 9th September 2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 9th September 2009, 08:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Gonna be worth it just for the artwork!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th September 2009, 07:40 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Sorry for the slow reply - I'm taking a wee break off this week but thought I'd pop on. One thing we have to bear in mind is that on here we all tend to import the versions we want of films - there's a whole majority of punters that don't do that - they like for instance to pick up stuff when they see it in HMV (physical retail can account for 70% of a title saleswise).

Now with Dawn there was talk of an HD master for the Argento cut but once it arrived in the UK it was nothing short of terrible. There simply isn't the time or money to fix it (in essence start from scratch) - the release would have to be put way back into next year.

Saleswise would it be worth it? Doubtful - this is not a title the supermarkets would pick up and Blu-ray sales are just too tiny. Yup - you can get international sales but whilst US discs selling into the UK can get a good sales hold it's not true going the other way and you can't actively court international sales - that goes against the terms of the rights you sign up to.

I can vouch for the fact that no Arrow release yet has caused such hair-tearing - the effort and money that has gone into getting the various extras together (for the first time together) has been huge and there's genuine passion to try and get this right.

My idea once the HD master for the Argento cut was ruled out was at least to put out a release that would allow people who have never imported the Argento cut DVD to be able to buy it and over a span of two DVDs be able to enjoy some of the documentaries as well and once they upgraded to Blu-ray they'd have the Blu-ray disc ready to go.

I can understand for some they'll be happy with their US import and that's cool as long as it's understood that genuinely a lot of passion and caring and investment has gone into the release and for the price of £17.99 it's a billy bargain.

I got into this business as a fan - sadly what I've realised is that what I want isn't always possible but I'm really excited about this release and I know it's going to be a cool edition but this forum is not about everyone agreeing and it is about hopefully providing the kind of feedback that other companies wouldn't bother with.

If I don't answer anything this week thought it's cause I'm not really around so nothing sinister going on!
Old 10th September 2009, 07:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've flogged my U.S. edition already......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th September 2009, 08:11 AM
Active Cultist

Thanks for taking the time to post up your thoughts, Almar. I don't mean to sound so negative, I'm just a bit disappointed at the lack of HD on the Blu-ray release.

Was there also a problem with the Director's Cut then? I think that's the more disappointing omission, as Argento's Cut wasn't the strongest in the first place (even if Romero doesn't like the Director's cut).

Like this? Share it using the links below!