Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2009, 03:46 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Competition Arrow Video - Dawn Of The Dead Blu-ray

Well folks here's our first Cult Labs Blu-ray release to get stuck into and this is one of my all-time faves and a potentially very exciting hi-def release.

26th October 2009 Arrow Video will launch their Blu-ray strand with Dawn of the Dead.

This all-time George A Romero classic is a cornerstone for any serious horror collection and Arrow intend to treat it seriously with your help.

Authoring Blu-rays takes a lot longer than DVDs so if you have any thoughts on what you'd like to see on the release and what should be included in terms of extras both on disc and in booklet/physical form then we need 'em in over the next week.

Once that feedback has been absorbed and we can work out what is actually possible then the specs will start to get announced.
Old 16th July 2009, 07:29 AM
Cult Rookie

a poster and dunno what else a cool book with behind the scenes pics would be nice maybe the case could have a card sleeve
Old 16th July 2009, 07:52 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Not really extras as such but I'd love to see all the versions of the film on the disc (theatrical,extended and Argento's Zombie cut) I know it's probably to expensive to licence all the versions but I think Anchor Bay really missed an opportunity when they only released the theatrical cut on blu-ray in the U.S. especially after giving it such great treatment on dvd with the Ultimate edition boxset
Old 16th July 2009, 08:30 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Almar you have made my week!!! I would be happy with just the theatrical on blu-ray as I think its the best version (though some of the extra goblin on the european cut is cool). As for extras what about a (feature lenth???) doc where you talk to all the people who have been influenced by dawn. Plus you have to have the flip side cover as the Zombies Dawn of the Dead poster cause its fantastic
Old 16th July 2009, 08:57 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I do agree that the theatrical cut (Romero's preferred version) is the best and I know it's just wishful thinking to get all 3 versions on the disc.I'd agree about using the Zombie art as the flipside.I like it that much I bought the region 1 version of the zombie cut as well as the ultimate boxset just so I could have the artwork.The dvd isn't even out of the wrapper lol
Old 16th July 2009, 09:06 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Thanks for the ideas so far - keep 'em coming!

Ok so let's deal with all the various versions of the film. The only one with a new hi-def master is the theatrical cut. It would be quite possible to look into putting the others on as well in standard def so it's all in one neat package.

As for packaging I'll be making an announcement about that later today. Meanwhile if you guys have preferred artwork versions of DOTD then stick 'em up on the thread here so we can consider the options. Personally I've never felt any of the artworks quite did justice to the film - saying that it would be pretty damn hard to! The idea of a Zombie cover is pretty cool though.
Old 16th July 2009, 09:15 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Just been having a look at the art used for the film and some of it is pretty cool but a few of the posters don't really do anything for me but here's what I found,I have no idea where the last poster was ever used but it's in english.Yeah it would be neat to have the other 2 versions but i know it all comes down to cost so the theatrical will do just fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_77402_9d0acdbf.jpg (39.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 433345_1020_A.jpg (53.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 466129_1020_A.jpg (25.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 487543_1020_A.jpg (40.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 487544_1020_A.jpg (32.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg l_139239_0077402_7a40d50a.jpg (42.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg l_77402_defa31ae.jpg (32.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 16th July 2009, 10:04 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

You've dug up some nice stuff there. The Zombies poster is good in that it shows real scale - the problem is that you can do that easier in landscape and we'll have to do portrait. Anchor Bay UK has artwork similar to that for the old Trilogy of the Dead box set but I thought it lost impact.

The 'Zombi' version with the yellow text is pretty cool...
Old 16th July 2009, 10:17 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I do like the 1st one there,used on the region 1 Zombie dvd and,freak that I am,I do like the silhoutte gas mask poster,I dont think people would like it as the cover though,probably doesn't have enough oomph lol but I may be wrong.Found another variation of it I do remember seeing it on a laserdisc jaket.Don't know if it was the japanese laserdisc.And I see what you mean,I just saw that Zombies poster in portrait,doesn't look good at all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_77402_62bae947.jpg (30.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 16th July 2009, 10:21 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well it does have a simplicity and strength to it. Does look a bit WWII though but there's no missing the darned thing!

Like this? Share it using the links below!