Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray - Get Involved in The Artwork! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/1517-dawn-dead-blu-ray-get-involved-artwork.html)

Almar@Cult Labs 16th July 2009 11:45 AM

Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray - Get Involved in The Artwork!

Ok so it would seem that overall the majority of people have dug the all-new commissioned oil paintings that Arrow have had Rick Melton do for the first three Arrow titles and for everyone else they can flip over the sleeve to enjoy the cool originals.

Well for the Dawn of the Dead Blu-ray the intention is to get Rick to do an all-new painting plus offer a classic artwork on the flipside of the sleeve.

For me personally I've never thought any Dawn artwork has matched up to the epic quality of the film - it's tough to do because it's a landscape space - but I think WE should have a go.

This film is a legendary classic - we want the artwork to be brilliant - Rick can pull this off - I know it! BUT WHAT WILL HE PAINT?

Here's where I want input from you guys - what should Rick paint for the cover, how should it look, should it have any of the characters/lead zombies in it, should it be of a classic moment from the film like the zombies erupting through the lift doors, should it be something more abstract?

We want your ideas and plenty of them - don't worry about trying to provide lots of detail (but you're welcome to if you can describe how it looks in your head) - Rick is the guy who breathes life into it - but from lots of ideas from all of us could come the vision we'll get him to paint.

Other forums and sites are welcome to submit ideas as long as they have one member here to submit the idea through that they have all agreed on (a bit like a gruesome Eurovision). I know Jonny over at LoveLock&Load is going to get involved.

I'm really excited about this - we've got a chance to attempt to come up with the artwork that might finally do justice to Dawn of the Dead! :blush:

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th July 2009 11:56 AM

I was thinking for a moment there of some sort of montage of classic scenes from the movie but most of them would contain spoilers.I dont know how people would really feel about that.I would assume most people would be ok with it having seen the film and knowing it inside out anyway

Almar@Cult Labs 16th July 2009 12:02 PM

I think as long as we're not repeating the Planet of the Apes - as in sticking a certain statue on the front - we'll be ok. Anyway we can thrash that out on here.

HamTyler808 16th July 2009 12:45 PM

http://www.filmsquish.com/guts/files...he%20Dead1.jpg

vincenzo 16th July 2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamTyler808 (Post 34217)

Gordon Brown presents his new cabinet. :D

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th July 2009 12:52 PM

Well I was thinking of including scenes of rising from the dead from under a sheet and elevator doors opening to reveal someones fate.They even stuck that one on the cover of the uk EIV video! so i think those could be some nice striking images.Perhaps even that iconic image of the zombie with the machete in the head

Almar@Cult Labs 16th July 2009 12:59 PM

The elevator scene does have real appeal.

HamTyler808 16th July 2009 01:28 PM

I think one of my favorite images from the movie is the empty car park with the zombies dotted around as they approach the mall. For me, there's something incredibly bleak about it.

Maybe the empty grey carpark and mall in the background with the helicopter flying towards it, and a zombie in the foreground about to attack the camera, like in the elevator pic.

Almar@Cult Labs 16th July 2009 02:08 PM

I love that bleakness too - it just feels like the end of the world as it probably would be - not some inferno of CGI - just a bleak day in a crummy car park with the undead shuffling towards you!

KPWNINJA 16th July 2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 34227)
I love that bleakness too - it just feels like the end of the world as it probably would be - not some inferno of CGI - just a bleak day in a crummy car park with the undead shuffling towards you!

It's also a very visual scene and one that remains in your mind way after the film has ended. However the only way I could see that recreated on the cover is if it was in landscape. Personally I love the old VHS landscape covers. :p Remember the old VHS Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer cover?