Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   The FRANK HENENLOTTER THREAD (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/1696-frank-henenlotter-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd September 2009 09:08 PM

The FRANK HENENLOTTER THREAD

6 Attachment(s)
Remember that Bond/Carly Simon song...'Nobody Does It Better'? Well,when it comes to refreshingly mad cult 'B' movies,nobody does it quite like New York helmer Frank Henenlotter.
BASKET CASE introduced the world to Duane Bradley and his siamese twin Belial,who is transported around in a wicker basket/hamper.Seperated by vets and left to die,Duane's mutant brother uses his sibling to seek a gory revenge on those responsible.......
Filmed around Times Square and 42nd Street in early eighties New York,the film really catches the esscence of the sleaziness of the city before it was cleaned up.
Followed by two sequels,which while enjoyable,were no way gonna match up to the raw energy and originality of the first.
Brain Damage perhaps came closest to Basket Case with it's tale of the Alymer,a phallic parasite,which induces it's victims with an addictive hallucinogenic drug in return for victims,on whose brains it can feed!
Frankenhooker offers an amusing and gory twist on films like Frankenstein (Obviously!) and Re-Animator,whilst his latest offering Bad Biology,a twisted take on Deep Throat,and dealing with sexual satisfaction,is needless to say,not quite what you'd expect......
Henenlotter's first film in sixteen years,let's hope it doesn't take 'Mad Frank' quite as long to churn out his next twisted creature feature......

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd September 2009 10:41 PM

Tell us what you think of his films....what's your favourite?

According to FH,the wad of cash Duane produces when checking in to the hotel,was not a prop and was the film's budget!:shocked:

vincenzo 22nd September 2009 10:43 PM

I'm not a huge fan of his work though I did enjoy the original Basket Case.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd September 2009 10:45 PM

It's certainly quite unique Vince.

Kyle 22nd September 2009 11:44 PM

my fav has to be brain damage but i love basket case and frankenhooker.

bad biology was awesome too!

mbv 23rd September 2009 09:22 AM

I'm a huge fan of Basket Case and Brain Damage. The Basket Case sequels weren't great, never saw Frankenhooker.
Bad Biology is a nice return though.

Peter Neal 23rd September 2009 09:25 AM

Still have to see "Bad Biology", but apart from that I think he never did better than with his first two flicks, with "Brain Damage" winning only slightly over "Basket Case", which is also good, but I have the most fond VHS memories of "Brain Damage", which surprisingly enough got released fully uncut in Germany back then while the US and UK releases were censored on video.:o

Vampix 23rd September 2009 02:44 PM

I've only got one Henenlotter flick in my collection and that's the Something Weird SE of Basket Case, not really a big fan of his other films.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd September 2009 10:56 PM

Nothing else in his career ever quite achieved the same 'sleazy' effect as Basket Case.Along with films like Taxi Driver and The Exterminator,it showed New York for the sewer it was back then.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 07:58 PM

So who else likes 'Mad Frankie's' mental films?:eyebrows:

Make Them Die Slowly 11th April 2011 08:14 PM

I'm not a fan of the two "Basket Case" sequels but have enjoyed everything else by him. I love the whole scuzzy New York vibe of "Basket Case" which for me makes the film seem like a long lost cousin of a lot of the rougher end of 60s exploitation/sexploitation I like so much. There is something almost inherently scummy about most films set in New York from the 60s to the 80s, if you exclude the works of Woody Allen but even then his personal life more than makes up for it!

"Bad Biology" was enjoyable in it's own mad way. It felt like it could have been made around the same time as "Basket Case" or "Brain Damage" which on reflection could be seen as a lack of progression on FH part or the sign of a true auteur:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 08:19 PM

Yeah,New York was portrayed (and was) a real cesspit in Basket Case.

Think it'd look good in hi def?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 09:48 PM

I voted for Basket Case, which narrowly beats Brain Damage as Henenlotter's best film in my opinion.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th April 2011 04:56 PM

Bad Biology was the first of his films i saw. - Brilliant

Since bought Brain Damage, which was also very good, even though it was a "very 80's style film"

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th April 2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 142267)
I'm not a fan of the two "Basket Case" sequels but have enjoyed everything else by him. I love the whole scuzzy New York vibe of "Basket Case" which for me makes the film seem like a long lost cousin of a lot of the rougher end of 60s exploitation/sexploitation I like so much. There is something almost inherently scummy about most films set in New York from the 60s to the 80s, if you exclude the works of Woody Allen but even then his personal life more than makes up for it!

"Bad Biology" was enjoyable in it's own mad way. It felt like it could have been made around the same time as "Basket Case" or "Brain Damage" which on reflection could be seen as a lack of progression on FH part or the sign of a true auteur:)

Thats a first Frank Henenlotter and Woody Allen in the same sentence.

Never Before and Never Again :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th April 2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 142311)
I voted for Basket Case, which narrowly beats Brain Damage as Henenlotter's best film in my opinion.

Yeah Brain Damage is demented as well,but Basket Case is a real cult gem.
Low budget movie making at it's best!

Vampix 30th June 2011 02:40 AM

I only had Henenlotter's original Basket Case in my collection, which I like a lot.I recently bought the Synapse DVD of Brain Damage with the silver cover.Looking forward to checking it out again after not having seen it since it's cut video release.

plasterface 30th June 2011 07:17 PM

henelotter rules

one of my favourite directors, he has a rare talent of adding emotion into trashy fun horror films basket case is great, suprised no one has attempted a dreaded re-make. Took me a long time to like the sequels as they were a lot more cartoony than first probably all the unbeliavable freaks running around grunting did them no favours but granny Ruth is very funny i think the actress who played her dubbed brit Ekland in the wicker man. Brain damage is my favourite a very funny metaphor for the dangers of drug addiction and alymer with the voice of horror host zachary is one of my favourite film monsters. Frankenhooker is a great film as well the scene were jeffrey's mother talks to him about his fiancees's death is very heartfelt and real considering the context of the plot. Enjoyed bad biology as well the script is very funny and despite a long absence its a quality film , amazing to think Henenlotter hid the fact to most of the crew thathe was undergoing chemo while making the film , i hope he make some more films. I would recommend Henelotter fans check out the excellent hotel broslin website and if you join Henenlotter's facebook group he usually replies to questions, how many directors do that? sorry for blathering on and on he's just a firm favourite of mine.:rockon:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th June 2011 07:19 PM

Thanks for that Plas-I'll take a look.:nod:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 20th December 2011 03:12 PM

The Very Best Of Henenlotter

With the release of Frankenhooker soon approaching (2nd of Jan), here's a thread dedicated to all the brilliant, twisted and totally off the wall cult films that burst from Frank Henenlotter's warped mind.

So what ones have you seen?

Which are his best? His worst?

Let us know here! Who knows, maybe there will be a future Henenlotter Arrow release someday? :poke:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th December 2011 03:46 PM

Basket Case without a doubt!
A classic!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th December 2011 04:53 PM

It's a toss up between Basket Case and Brain Damage for me.

Basket Case probably just edges it.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 20th December 2011 04:58 PM

Thread merged with Reaper's :)

plasterface 21st December 2011 05:30 PM

fave henenlotter

as much as i love basket case and frankenhooker i think brain damage is his best by a country mile.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st December 2011 10:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 204719)
Thread merged with Reaper's :)

Cheers mate.

I have the US BD of BASKET CASE,but the artwork's shite.

A nice Arrow BD of this with four panels and nice extras would go down a treat!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th December 2011 10:24 AM

I couldn't just takes one as I like Frankenhooker, Brain Damage and Basket Case just about equally. Although they're not as good as the first one, I have a fondness for the Basket Case sequels.

Refused 7th January 2012 12:44 AM

Any chance you could do me a favour Reaps? Someone over on blu-ray.com managed to get Basket Case working on a region B player by pressing the menu button on the region locked warning screen. Wondering if you had any way to confirm this works? They managed it on a PS3, but was wondering if it would work on a regular blu-ray player.

Frankenhooker was my first experience of Frank, and I'm eager to see more!

Gojirosan 7th January 2012 02:06 AM

Of the ones that I have seen, Brain Damage wins out.

Jinx_Barkman 7th January 2012 02:59 AM

Hard to choose but ultimately, I went with Basket Case. I've been watching it for years and have become quite attached to it.:pound:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th January 2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 207919)
Any chance you could do me a favour Reaps? Someone over on blu-ray.com managed to get Basket Case working on a region B player by pressing the menu button on the region locked warning screen. Wondering if you had any way to confirm this works? They managed it on a PS3, but was wondering if it would work on a regular blu-ray player.

I'll try it first chance I get mate.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th January 2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 207919)

Tried that out Ref-It didn't work on a Samsung mate.Sorry.:(

DontBurnTheWitch 9th January 2012 06:54 PM

Out of Frankenhooker and Basket Case, Basket Case is my favourite.

I haven't seen Brain Damage but will add it to my LoveFilm List now.

I'd hate to see the guy's garage full of little deformed, rubber freaks!

They really wierd me out.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th January 2012 08:36 PM

BRAIN DAMAGE is well worth a look.

The creature is known as the Aylmer,which looks like a 12'' dildo! :lol:

It supplies people with addictive,joyous hallucinogenic juice!

Funny that.
I know a creature named the Almar that keeps tempting people with addictive,trashy eye-candy! :lol: ;)

DontBurnTheWitch 9th January 2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 208412)

There's nothing more you really need from a movie is there? :lol:

plasterface 9th January 2012 09:01 PM

brain damage

Quote:

Funny that.
I know a creature named the Almar that keeps tempting people with addictive,trashy eye-candy! :lol: ;)

as far as i am aware Almar has never sucked anyones brains out:lol:

kissoffboardy 9th January 2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Funny that.

Haven't seen Brain Damage for yonks, but I could watch it right now. Ace film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th January 2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Funny that.

Brain Damage is a brilliantly weird little film and one I should really watch again this week.

I'm aware of this 'Almar creature' of which you speak, but I don't mind being tempted with addictive, trashy eye candy! As you know, I'm easily tempted and, as far as I'm concerned, the more trashy eye candy in my collection, the better!

cropsy13 11th January 2012 11:38 PM

I like basket Case II

but I think that's Nostalgia talking as I saw it when I was younger