Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2010, 05:43 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Strange View Post
In this case, the uncensored dialogue will have been taken from an exisiting, heavily compressed digital mono source (probably the very first Arrow dvd). The dialogue will have been upsampled (which will not in itself improve the quality, though further processing can) and integrated within the HD audio track.

The HD audio track will be a lossless (uncompressed) digital recording of the original audio (AFAIK analogue in the case of Day) - likely rendered at 48khz (sample rate) 16 bit (bit rate), which is basically a bit above cd quality. Sample rates and bit-rates can be higher (the Akira blu ray is 192kz and 24bit). Most film audio is mastered at 24 bit 48khz these days, but with these old, pre-digital films, the analogue audio can be recorded and mastered at whatever rate is available (digital audio can too, but will only benefit if remixed with eq and audio processing tools running at a higher rate). So, even if a film is 40 years old, the HD audio can be recorded and mastered at extremely high rates (improving the accuracy of the digital recording, essentially).

The main improvement with a HD track is that the audio is not compressed. If you ever directly compare cd audio with a 128khz mp3, paying particular attention to the high end (eg. cymbals, acoustic strumming, etc), then you'll notice the higher the compression, the thinner and less detailed the sound. 5.1 mixes tend to sound much more immersive and convincing when uncompressed.
That's a great explanation Rob, so basically it's only the original limitations of the mono recording itself that prevent modern equipment from re-mixing it into a more expansive 5.1 soundfield?
Old 26th January 2010, 08:40 AM
Active Cultist

The limitations of remixing a mono track to 5.1 simply stem from the fact that one channel has to provide the information for 5 channels and the sub. Compared to even a stereo track expanded to 5.1, this mono to surround remix will tend to sound thin and quite artificial.

Very often, new foley and fx work is introduced to fill the channels, and can lead to a fantastic, strong sounding remix (eg, The Exorcist TVYNS or The Godfather HD Restoration), but the problem here is that the film's original sound is partly being scraped for the sake of creating a modern, immersive audio experience. Many people, myself included, like to enjoy the work of the original sound mixers of the time, therefore only really appreciating subtle remastering tweaks used to polish the track. In my opinion, the best surround remixes stay faithful to the source and do not ake on a thin sound, ie. just the music is expanded to the surround channels and the rest of the audio remains close to the centre of the mix, with some added bass to the sub for good measure.

That's not to say that a mono/stereo track can't sound fantastic as PCM audio: it's lossless, and as previously mentioned, can be rendered at extremely high sampling and bit rates. Arrow did a great thing by including the PCM 2.0 audio on the Dawn Of The Dead bd. It's common enough practise to just use an older, heavily compressed Dolby Digital 2.0 track, but this is thankfully starting to change.
Old 26th January 2010, 03:41 PM
Cult Rookie

I'm in agreement with you regards the expansion of the score, while leaving the core elements intact, it's just a shame that doesn't always translate with many DVD's or BD's. If i remember correctly, there are only one or two moments of 'surround effects' during DayOTD, which actually did more harm than good when watching the US BD. Perhaps a new DTS-HD track that has been carefully mixed, will demonstrate a noticeable improvement on this upcoming version. I haven't seen/ heard the Arrow Dawn BD yet, and I quite enjoyed the US LPCM mix, despite it's obvious limitations...

Is the Exorcist title you mentioned a BD or DVD?
Old 26th January 2010, 04:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Up for pre-order on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Day-Dead-Blu...sr=8-2-catcorr

And a wee news bite:

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=20382
Old 26th January 2010, 05:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Awesome stuff!

Also available cheaper at HMV for just £16.99. Cheapest online at the moment.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=306505

Pre-ordered and I can't wait

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 26th January 2010, 06:40 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OftheDead View Post
I'm in agreement with you regards the expansion of the score, while leaving the core elements intact, it's just a shame that doesn't always translate with many DVD's or BD's. If i remember correctly, there are only one or two moments of 'surround effects' during DayOTD, which actually did more harm than good when watching the US BD. Perhaps a new DTS-HD track that has been carefully mixed, will demonstrate a noticeable improvement on this upcoming version. I haven't seen/ heard the Arrow Dawn BD yet, and I quite enjoyed the US LPCM mix, despite it's obvious limitations...

Is the Exorcist title you mentioned a BD or DVD?
I reckon it's worth sticking with the 2.0 or 1.0 audio on these films. The Arrow Dawn doesn't have the mono track (lossy) of the US disc, but it has a PCM 2.0 mix which is very faithful to the original audio, and is audibly stronger without the AB mono track's Dolby Digital compression (it's cleaner too). If Day features the same, I'd go with it over the 5.1 in an instant. As you've probably read, the AB Day dvd's audio is partly censored (think 90s ITV tv-edits), so is not a great choice for fans of the film. The AB blu ray does feature an uncensored mono track, but the quality is often dreadful, with extreme distortion on the higher frequencies (to the point where I find it hard to enjoy the film). The Arrow disc's lossless audio has been fixed, and will rule the Day Of The Dead blu ray world!

The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen (but I have!) is on dvd. It sounds great, but features so much new music and fx, it's not one for the purists.
Old 26th January 2010, 07:19 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
The Arrow disc's lossless audio has been fixed, and will rule the Day Of The Dead blu ray world!
Here's to watching them both at their best..

Quote:
Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen (but I have!) is on dvd. It sounds great, but features so much new music and fx, it's not one for the purists.
I'll have a read up on this and maybe pick it up used..
Old 26th January 2010, 07:34 PM
Active Cultist

It'll probably make you scream out like a kid hosting Pazuzu, because the editorial changes to the film are, in my (definitely correct) opinion, absolutely unnecessary and damaging. As for the CG...

Apparently a blu ray featuring both versions is due this October.

With this, Day (and Survival) Of The Dead, Suspiria, COTLD and The Wicker Man, 2010 is lining up to be a good year for region B horror fans.
Old 27th January 2010, 07:36 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
It'll probably make you scream out like a kid hosting Pazuzu, because the editorial changes to the film are, in my (definitely correct) opinion, absolutely unnecessary and damaging. As for the CG...
I see what you mean...(tried to post a comparison link to DVD Beaver but i haven't posted 15 times....yet )

I'm excited about SurvivalOTD but I've never seen CityOTD, so I'd better check that one out online...what I've decided to do is put together a zombie collection in Blu...

Last edited by OftheDead; 27th January 2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 27th January 2010, 08:43 AM
Active Cultist

That's a good plan. Hopefully the late, great Dan O' Bannon's (RIP) ROTLD will make the jump soon, as well as The Beyond, Re-Animator and Dellamorte Dellamore (and one hundred more I've forgotten).

City Of The Living Dead, being a Lucio Fulci zombie flick, has a unique vibe, and is completely different to Romero's gut-muchers (all of which are now available on region B blu ray, though I recommend the Optimum Night over the Network Night).

COTLD is more atmosphere and extreme, cruel and prolonged gore set-pieces. It's really great, but expect 'dream logic'. Arrow are releasing City on blu this April.

Like this? Share it using the links below!