LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2010, 11:28 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post
Absolutely hilarious, but also sad news for German folks at the moment: You cannot order Day of the Dead at amazon.co.uk at the moment, if you have a German address as destination for the disks. I am happy that I had ordered my copy before this (hopefully) temporal laughable way censorship is handled here in my country (under the disguise of youth protection)...
Complete madness! I used to think we had it bad in this country!
Old 12th April 2010, 11:29 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Thanks, steveoj. Glad you enjoyed it - I know of at least one reader of that review who has gone and bought a Blu-ray player solely so that he can have this movie on Blu-ray (and play it, of course!). So take heart, guys - our reviews really do make a difference.
That just goes to show you the power of blu! I'm sure he won't regret it.
Old 12th April 2010, 11:58 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post

If you ever plan to put out the all the films of the Dead series in this format (BD ) and packaging - make sure to let me know, it would look great at a special display place in my tiny flat that I still have to find, or create...
A welcome challenge! If we can get people creating little shrines then what better movtivation?
Old 12th April 2010, 12:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
Complete madness! I used to think we had it bad in this country!
Well, not to spam this thread, but let me summarize shortly what this is all about: If you are 18 you are allowed to buy these films (as long as they do not contain illegal stuff, but this is far from that in this case) in special shops (including abroad and bringing them back into the country), you just cannot buy them in a so called "Versand" situation, meaning nothing where you order it online or by telephone and the stuff is sent to you - no idea what that is all about and what use it is when it is clearly possible to have age checks... As seller, you are not allowed to sell these openly in shops where minors can see them. So if customs get ahold of a delivery, they will confiscate it and keep it for something I do not know what. The buyer does not get anymore trouble, he just loses the item. The seller may face justice in some form (mostly nothing happens, especially with foreign sellers). This madness results
in films being cut, to get a rating that avoids these restrictions - that is why I have to buy at amazon UK and other places... The fun part is that mayn of the UK stuff comes from a German storage facillity and that might be the temporal problem here, to ship the illegal stuff back to the UK and then it should be back to normal for us too - hopefully...

Sorry for the discourse! You should have seen what was left of Day when it came out at cinemas over here - what a treat that overpriced NL tape was which I got some years later!
Old 12th April 2010, 12:03 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

That's crazy - and it's very interesting to know.
Old 12th April 2010, 12:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I just read Daemonia's DOTD Review and I must say its excellent.
Glad to see someone more clued up on the genre than me has the same view on Rhodes as I do.
Great piece of writing Dae, I liked the build up with references to the 80's Horror trend and earlier zombie films and their scale.

A flawless piece of work Sir.!
Old 12th April 2010, 01:15 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Thanks, Vips - greatly appreciate the feedback. I was wondering how my musings on Rhodes would be received, as I thought I was alone in my contentious considerations of the character. Phew! It was getting lonely out here...
Old 12th April 2010, 02:37 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

No prob's Dae, it was a very informative read.
I always felt sorry for Rhodes as he's often put down as a villian when he's only doing his duty, and although the Doc can come off sometimes as an eccentric old fool, he's really quite savage , uncaring and only focused n his quest to solve the outbreak with science and took his actions to a more extreme level then Rhodes did.(IMHO)
Old 12th April 2010, 03:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I finally read your review Deamonia and it is up there with the film, really well written and I also like your view of Rhodes, I particularily like the statement of no real villains being in the film as the zombies are acting on instinct and Rhodes fits into that too. Come to think of it, he reminds me a bit of the schizzo view of Batman in The Dark Knight (what was that sentence the later Two-Face said to him? Something about being too much a hero just to become a villain? Fits well in a way, doesn't it?) - very interesting, assuming he sees the scientist more as the bad people... If he is misled by fear or delusions, maybe even madness from the long isolation - it is all kept open for speculation - and this fact is always the goodie about Romero's zombie films, he throws a lot of interesting questions at us and does not answer them. This should be made a rule for films like that, how many times have we rolled on the floor laughing due to bad explanations? It is like a bedroom scare at night, as long as you see that monster ready to jump at you, you are dying with fear, but once the weird shape formed by your clothes hung over a chair is revealed, the fear vanishes...
Old 12th April 2010, 05:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Well I finally got peace to watch this yesterday,and what can I say?
Absolutely pristine!
Having not seen it for yonks,it pleasantly surprised me how gory it was!
Fantastic package!
I also watched Joe of the Dead-
Calum,you're giving the Scots a bad name mate-you're supposed to open those bottles with your teeth!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!