Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2010, 01:09 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
I'll have to give it a listen to in italian then,see if I concur.
I prefer it for a few reasons:

1) Those highly annoying English thespian accents are thankfully no more.

2) Inspector Santini is no longer dubbed with an inappropriately 'masculine' American voice. The Arrow release also features an alternative English dub known as the 'pre-Cannes dub': it's essentially the same track as the one found on the AB disc, except Santini's dubbed voice is here much more 'effeminate' (apparently it was laughed off the screen at the time, though it's certainly the more natural sounding of the two). Imo, Santini's Italian voice is far superior to both English efforts.

3) The final moment of narration is actually voiced by a man (Argento himself AFAIK), giving the climax an interesting third person perspective. In the English dub, the dialogue is basically just Betty's inner monologue.

I do love Opera - it's among my top 5 Argento films.
Old 7th February 2010, 08:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

It's an Argento fest from Arrow

I am going to be so broke!!!
Old 7th February 2010, 08:21 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Strange View Post
I prefer it for a few reasons:

1) Those highly annoying English thespian accents are thankfully no more.

2) Inspector Santini is no longer dubbed with an inappropriately 'masculine' American voice. The Arrow release also features an alternative English dub known as the 'pre-Cannes dub': it's essentially the same track as the one found on the AB disc, except Santini's dubbed voice is here much more 'effeminate' (apparently it was laughed off the screen at the time, though it's certainly the more natural sounding of the two). Imo, Santini's Italian voice is far superior to both English efforts.

3) The final moment of narration is actually voiced by a man (Argento himself AFAIK), giving the climax an interesting third person perspective. In the English dub, the dialogue is basically just Betty's inner monologue.

I do love Opera - it's among my top 5 Argento films.
Any idea if the Italian track features Urbano Barbarini's own voice?
Old 7th February 2010, 09:01 PM
Active Cultist

Sorry Steve, I'm not sure. I suppose it's likely.
Old 7th February 2010, 09:20 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thanks anyway Rob.I suppose even if it's not,it will be a hell of a lot better than the english 'pre-Cannes dub'.
Old 10th February 2010, 06:58 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well folks you can enjoy both the Cannes dub and the Orion dub on the upcoming Arrow Video Terror at the Opera DVD. Here's the official press release and spec and as always Marc Morris has been working on the disc so it should be nice. One point not mentioned - the booklets for this, Stendhal and Card Player are all by Argento expert Alan Jones:

“ARGENTO AT HIS STYLISH, HORRIFYING BEST!” – THE PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO GUIDE.

Considered the last of the great horror masterpieces from director Dario Argento’s greatest and most critically acclaimed period of filmmaking to date, Terror At The Opera comes to DVD in March as a special edition featuring two edits of the film and three separate audio dubs, including the infamous English language ‘Cannes Film Festival dub’ and the ‘studio approved dub’ that replaced it.

An homage to ‘The Phantom Of The Opera’ (which Argento would remake a decade later) by way of Alfred Hitchcock, Terror At The Opera stars Ian Charleson (Gandhi; Chariots Of Fire) in his final feature appearance and Daria Nicolodi (Mother Of Tears; Scarlet Diva; Phenomena; Tenebre; Inferno) in the disturbing tale of a sadistic hooded killer who torments and abuses a diva with whom he has become obsessed.

Spanish actress Cristina Marsillach stars as Betty, a young and inexperienced opera singer who gets at a chance at her big break starring in a production of Verdi’s ‘Macbeth’ when the lead is forced to pull out following a road accident. Despite her belief that the production is cursed, Betty accepts the role and receives universal acclaim for her performance. Unfortunately, her star turn also attracts the attention of a mysterious psychopathic ‘fan’ who repeatedly kidnaps her, ties her up and, by taping needles to her eyelids so she is unable to blink, forces her to witness him violently murdering her friends, colleagues and acquaintances. But who is the masked killer and why is he targeting her?

Boasting stunning cinematography by Oscar winning cameraman Ronnie Taylor (Gandhi) and some of the most bravura and memorable set pieces of any of Argento’s films – notably the descent of a conspiracy of ravens in the Parma Opera House career and a truly breathtaking murder sequence – the film also features musical contributions from Claudio Simonetti, Brian Eno and Bill Wyman.

Terror At The Opera (cert. 18) will be released on DVD (15.99) by Arrow Video on 22nd March 2010.

Special Features include: double sided sleeve featuring new artwork; exclusive collector’s booklet; poster; feature presentation (102 minutes) with English 5.1 and Italian 5.1 audio options; US edit of feature (91 minutes) with original ‘Cannes dub’ (English 2.0); US edit of feature (91 minutes) with approved, re-dubbed English 2.0 audio; Dario Argento filmography and biography; photo gallery; Opera by Demonia music video; Dario Argento trailer gallery; Top 6 gore scenes; US trailer; International trailer.
Old 10th February 2010, 07:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

OPERA is one of Argento's best IMO.....The eye....the peephole....the bullet....WOW!

And no bull,that artwork puts all previous efforts to shame!

Think about it.....TENEBRAE,SUSPIRIA,DEEP RED and PHENOMENA all have instantly recognizable artwork the world over....Opera was given somewhat shabby treatment in that dept.....until now.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th February 2010, 07:24 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

WOW! 2 versions of the movie.I've never seen the U.S. edit of Opera so It'll be interesting to see it for the first time
Old 10th February 2010, 07:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

This is a great surprise!! Must-buy stuff indeed.

And I got to disagree, I love the original artwork for this - it's even hanging in my livingroom! haha.

Rick's work is equally stellar however.
Old 10th February 2010, 08:26 PM
Ex-member

2nd WOW!!
This is looking to be sweet & should be THE version out there, hopefully Arrow will make this region free to gain more sales (although being UK based it won't bother me!). I've got to agree with Philleh I love the original artwork for Opera & much as I like Rick's work the purist in me shall be switching sides!

Like this? Share it using the links below!