Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow Video - Terror At The Opera (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/2241-arrow-video-terror-opera.html)

Mbarr 22nd January 2010 06:02 PM

Arrow Video - Terror At The Opera

Any info yet on what to expect with the new release of this?

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd January 2010 06:06 PM

I do have a question about the film.Does the UK print actually say Terror At The Opera or just Opera?

Mbarr 22nd January 2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 58999)
I do have a question about the film.Does the UK print actually say Terror At The Opera or just Opera?

The previous print was Terror, I'm hoping this time round it's called just Opera, it just sounds less trashy, either way the previous Arrow was the best of the lot out there (pre Cannes dub, English subs) so here's hoping for the re-release

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd January 2010 06:14 PM

Cheers.I prefer the short and to the point title of Opera as well.:nod:

Rob Strange 23rd January 2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 59003)
Cheers.I prefer the short and to the point title of Opera as well.:nod:

Opera, if the materials exist, would make an outstanding blu ray.

Usually Argento's films (and most Italian post-dubbed cinema) I watch in English, but here is a case where I feel the Italian dub is a genuine improvement.

I'm pretty sure the final moment of narration on the Italian dub is voiced by Argento himself.

Almar@Cult Labs 3rd February 2010 06:24 PM

22nd March will see the Arrow Video release of Dario Argento's masterful Terror at the Opera.

Specs to follow but meanwhile behold the all-new artwork!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...ntPackshot.jpg

Pete 3rd February 2010 06:28 PM

Another winner! Much better than Arrow's previous artwork.

Philleh 3rd February 2010 06:33 PM

Lovely stuff!! Another winner indeed :thumb:

mbv 3rd February 2010 06:44 PM

Amazing artwork!

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd February 2010 07:03 PM

Certainly the best artwork Opera has ever had. :nod:

vipco 3rd February 2010 07:07 PM

Brilliant Job.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd February 2010 08:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 61362)
Certainly the best artwork Opera has ever had. :nod:

My sentiments exactly Stevie-boy!

For such a cracking Argento film,it always puzzled me why Opera was always tarnished with such bland artwork.

Is there any comparison? I think not......:nono:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2010 11:15 PM

Another excellent cover from Rick! :thumb:

This one going out as Terror at the Opera then, like the previous Arrow release? I prefer the easier on the vocabulary title of Opera that's all... :behindsofa:

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd February 2010 11:43 PM

Never owning it before with the Terror At....title,i'll always call it Opera,like my Blue Underground dvd no matter what it says on the cover or print.Opera is just a much better title.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 04:55 PM

Dvdtimes has the reverse artwork up for the 3 Argento titles being released.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id...-in-march.html

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 09:05 PM

Rick's three are FAR superior.:nod:
But then again,most label's DON'T give you the choice.;)

Rob Strange 5th February 2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 61420)
Never owning it before with the Terror At....title,i'll always call it Opera,like my Blue Underground dvd no matter what it says on the cover or print.Opera is just a much better title.

I prefer Arrow's release because it features the Italian language track. One of the few Argento films that I think plays better in Italian.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Strange (Post 61721)
I prefer Arrow's release because it features the Italian language track. One of the few Argento films that I think plays better in Italian.

I'll have to give it a listen to in italian then,see if I concur. :pop2:

Splatterdragon73 7th February 2010 10:54 AM

Imo Opera remains the last superb slice of Argento mayhem (bar the mundane ending!) and any new and improved Arrow incarnation is definitely on my list.:thumb:

I'll be honest and say since his artwork on the Dawn Blu-Ray, i've warmed to and approved of the majority of Rick's illustrations and Opera's new cover is no exception. Another delectable design there and great stuff!:)

P-Mac 7th February 2010 12:32 PM

To me, Opera and Sleepless are the same. A lot of promise until the last 20-odd minutes, when everything goes completely OTT then downhill.

Still very imaginative though in terms of the violence. The lead being forced to keep her eyes open when the psycho kills everyone for fear of closing them and being blinded by those pins is brilliant.

Rob Strange 7th February 2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 61731)
I'll have to give it a listen to in italian then,see if I concur. :pop2:

I prefer it for a few reasons:

1) Those highly annoying English thespian accents are thankfully no more.

2) Inspector Santini is no longer dubbed with an inappropriately 'masculine' American voice. The Arrow release also features an alternative English dub known as the 'pre-Cannes dub': it's essentially the same track as the one found on the AB disc, except Santini's dubbed voice is here much more 'effeminate' (apparently it was laughed off the screen at the time, though it's certainly the more natural sounding of the two). Imo, Santini's Italian voice is far superior to both English efforts.

3) The final moment of narration is actually voiced by a man (Argento himself AFAIK), giving the climax an interesting third person perspective. In the English dub, the dialogue is basically just Betty's inner monologue.

I do love Opera - it's among my top 5 Argento films.

bedorca 7th February 2010 08:04 PM

It's an Argento fest from Arrow

I am going to be so broke!!! :bananasuit:

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th February 2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Strange (Post 61894)
I prefer it for a few reasons:

1) Those highly annoying English thespian accents are thankfully no more.

2) Inspector Santini is no longer dubbed with an inappropriately 'masculine' American voice. The Arrow release also features an alternative English dub known as the 'pre-Cannes dub': it's essentially the same track as the one found on the AB disc, except Santini's dubbed voice is here much more 'effeminate' (apparently it was laughed off the screen at the time, though it's certainly the more natural sounding of the two). Imo, Santini's Italian voice is far superior to both English efforts.

3) The final moment of narration is actually voiced by a man (Argento himself AFAIK), giving the climax an interesting third person perspective. In the English dub, the dialogue is basically just Betty's inner monologue.

I do love Opera - it's among my top 5 Argento films.

Any idea if the Italian track features Urbano Barbarini's own voice?

Rob Strange 7th February 2010 09:01 PM

Sorry Steve, I'm not sure. I suppose it's likely.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th February 2010 09:20 PM

Thanks anyway Rob.I suppose even if it's not,it will be a hell of a lot better than the english 'pre-Cannes dub'.

Almar@Cult Labs 10th February 2010 06:58 PM

Well folks you can enjoy both the Cannes dub and the Orion dub on the upcoming Arrow Video Terror at the Opera DVD. Here's the official press release and spec and as always Marc Morris has been working on the disc so it should be nice. One point not mentioned - the booklets for this, Stendhal and Card Player are all by Argento expert Alan Jones:

“ARGENTO AT HIS STYLISH, HORRIFYING BEST!” – THE PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO GUIDE.

Considered the last of the great horror masterpieces from director Dario Argento’s greatest and most critically acclaimed period of filmmaking to date, Terror At The Opera comes to DVD in March as a special edition featuring two edits of the film and three separate audio dubs, including the infamous English language ‘Cannes Film Festival dub’ and the ‘studio approved dub’ that replaced it.

An homage to ‘The Phantom Of The Opera’ (which Argento would remake a decade later) by way of Alfred Hitchcock, Terror At The Opera stars Ian Charleson (Gandhi; Chariots Of Fire) in his final feature appearance and Daria Nicolodi (Mother Of Tears; Scarlet Diva; Phenomena; Tenebre; Inferno) in the disturbing tale of a sadistic hooded killer who torments and abuses a diva with whom he has become obsessed.

Spanish actress Cristina Marsillach stars as Betty, a young and inexperienced opera singer who gets at a chance at her big break starring in a production of Verdi’s ‘Macbeth’ when the lead is forced to pull out following a road accident. Despite her belief that the production is cursed, Betty accepts the role and receives universal acclaim for her performance. Unfortunately, her star turn also attracts the attention of a mysterious psychopathic ‘fan’ who repeatedly kidnaps her, ties her up and, by taping needles to her eyelids so she is unable to blink, forces her to witness him violently murdering her friends, colleagues and acquaintances. But who is the masked killer and why is he targeting her?

Boasting stunning cinematography by Oscar winning cameraman Ronnie Taylor (Gandhi) and some of the most bravura and memorable set pieces of any of Argento’s films – notably the descent of a conspiracy of ravens in the Parma Opera House career and a truly breathtaking murder sequence – the film also features musical contributions from Claudio Simonetti, Brian Eno and Bill Wyman.

Terror At The Opera (cert. 18) will be released on DVD (15.99) by Arrow Video on 22nd March 2010.

Special Features include: double sided sleeve featuring new artwork; exclusive collector’s booklet; poster; feature presentation (102 minutes) with English 5.1 and Italian 5.1 audio options; US edit of feature (91 minutes) with original ‘Cannes dub’ (English 2.0); US edit of feature (91 minutes) with approved, re-dubbed English 2.0 audio; Dario Argento filmography and biography; photo gallery; Opera by Demonia music video; Dario Argento trailer gallery; Top 6 gore scenes; US trailer; International trailer.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th February 2010 07:04 PM

OPERA is one of Argento's best IMO.....The eye....the peephole....the bullet....WOW!:eek:

And no bull,that artwork puts all previous efforts to shame!

Think about it.....TENEBRAE,SUSPIRIA,DEEP RED and PHENOMENA all have instantly recognizable artwork the world over....Opera was given somewhat shabby treatment in that dept.....until now.:nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th February 2010 07:24 PM

WOW! 2 versions of the movie.I've never seen the U.S. edit of Opera so It'll be interesting to see it for the first time

Philleh 10th February 2010 07:36 PM

This is a great surprise!! Must-buy stuff indeed.

And I got to disagree, I love the original artwork for this - it's even hanging in my livingroom! haha.

Rick's work is equally stellar however.

Mbarr 10th February 2010 08:26 PM

2nd WOW!!
This is looking to be sweet & should be THE version out there, hopefully Arrow will make this region free to gain more sales (although being UK based it won't bother me!). I've got to agree with Philleh I love the original artwork for Opera & much as I like Rick's work the purist in me shall be switching sides!

Almar@Cult Labs 10th February 2010 08:28 PM

I always had a soft spot for the original artwork but the chance to revisit a close-up eyeball was too tempting!

Pete 10th February 2010 08:30 PM

Nothing makes my stomach turn more than a close up of an eyeball:ack:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th February 2010 08:36 PM

:lol:
You watched Nekromantik then Looper?:biggrin:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th February 2010 08:39 PM

The original artwork certainly wasn't as stand out as the other Argento films I mentioned IMHO....However,I know when I'm on to a kicking,so I'll duck out just now......:biggrin::deadhorse::bolt:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th February 2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 62456)
Nothing makes my stomach turn more than a close up of an eyeball:ack:

Guess you don't like my avatar then... :tongue1: :jest:

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th February 2010 09:44 PM

A comment on dvdtimes regarding the new artwork...

'Well one thing that Arrow need to do is get a new artist! Those new covers for the above Argento ones and Day & Dawn of the Dead are god awful!'

No bloomin' taste! :faint:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th February 2010 11:33 PM

DOH!
That's why they're reversible.....:rolleyes:

pedromonkey 12th February 2010 12:24 AM

i will be getting these just for the artwork and the films of course. hope there's a poster in there too because i need more movie posters....

Almar@Cult Labs 12th February 2010 10:39 AM

There will indeed.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th February 2010 09:11 PM

Arrow is rapidly climbing up that cult-label-reputation ladder,ain't they?:cool: