Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2010, 12:51 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Mac View Post
Got my replacement disc today along with Blood Feast 2.
Same here! I'm very happy about this as I was literally about to purchase BF2, cheers Arrow!
Old 13th April 2010, 10:07 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Got my replacement discs for The Card Player and The stendhal Syndrome today,the day after Arrow probably recieved the old ones.You can't beat customer service like that!
Old 15th July 2010, 03:29 PM
Active Cultist

For anyone who doesn't have this, amazon have it for 3.97. Although it is out of stock at the moment.
Old 15th July 2010, 07:17 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Re: Arrow Video - The Card Player

Ugh I wouldn't take it for free. Buy Anchor Bay will get my bucks for AMER.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:21 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Sorry, I didn't really understand your post, daveroughcut. If you could please explain what 'Buy Anchor Bay will get my bucks for AMER' means and maybe someone will respond. As it stands, I was unable to crack the code.

I didn't think The Card Player was all that bad. Not Argento's best by a long chalk, but I'd take this over Phantom of the Opera, Mother of Tears, Do You Like Hitchcock? or Giallo.

The ending was a bit silly, recalling the early days of cinema and the typical 'woman in peril' scenario, but it didn't really work. There's plot holes you could drive a tank through and some of the acting is less than stellar - but as a whole, I found it entertaining enough. The problem comes when you suddenly remember you're watching an Argento film and you think 'What the...?' If you can avoid that particular pitfall, it's not entirely unwatchable and quite enjoyable.

Not top notch Argento, but not exactly bottom drawer, either. If you've not seen it, it's definitely worth a look.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:04 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveroughcut
Ugh I wouldn't take it for free. Buy Anchor Bay will get my bucks for AMER.
Sorry fat fingers on the iPhone. Hate every Argento film after Trauma, he's totally lost it. But I'll buy AMER which uses a lot of Argento techniques to tell a very different story.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveroughcut View Post
Hate every Argento film after Trauma, he's totally lost it.
I personally wouldn't say i hate every Argento effort since '93 (I'm looking forward to eventually seeing Sleepless and i daresay even The Phantom Of The Opera had it's moments (Yeah, you heard that right! Stop sniggering at the back!!).) but the once great giallo grandmaster's best days are definitely behind him. Make no mistake about that.

I can't recall the exact dialogue but in one of Chas Balun's books Argento once said something like "I'm a different man which each film i make. I start a movie as one person and by the time i finish it i'm another.".

If this is true then i wish to God the old school Dario would make a comeback instead of the burnt out shell of a director we have now!
Old 16th July 2010, 01:19 PM
Cult Rookie

It's just not to be my friend. How hard would it be to light set in red and blue and green in Mother Of Tears?

Remember in the days before the Internet when you would read in Dark Side/ FEAR about the new Argento? I particularly remember the story of him trying the kill himself during OPERA. Many people hated PHENOMENA but I love it. In his early ouvre I didn't really like TENEBRAE as much, I wish he would go back down the SUSPIRIA/INFERNO route.
Old 16th July 2010, 02:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
I wish he would go back down the SUSPIRIA/INFERNO route.
Don't we all!

Nowadays i simply can't get excited at the prospect of another Argento outing. I just tend to wonder how bad the film in question is going to be this time!

The lacklustre likes of TMOT and TCP will most definitely never be on my viewing list. Only vintage Dario delights for yours truly i'm afraid!
Old 18th July 2010, 12:59 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Sorry fat fingers on the iPhone. Hate every Argento film after Trauma, he's totally lost it. But I'll buy AMER which uses a lot of Argento techniques to tell a very different story.
I quite liked both Sleepless and The Stendahl Syndrome - but I've not been impressed by anything since. Mother of Tears was f*cking awful - what a way to end one of the most incredible trilogies of all time (well, the first two thirds were amazing, anyway). He should've left well alone and I gave it a scathing review. Truly dire. And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, along comes Giallo. He's just a Z-grade hack these days, unfortunately.

Like this? Share it using the links below!