Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2010, 01:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, along comes Giallo. He's just a Z-grade hack these days, unfortunately.
Giallo was butchered by the producer´s... Don´t blame it on Dario.
Old 18th July 2010, 01:13 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Have you seen it? It may well have had some interference, but it's still Dario's work and he directs with little flair and Adrien Brody just looks confused. When we did finally get to see the face of the killer I nearly wet myself laughing - I've never seen such a ridiculous villain. Producer's interference or not, I really don't think there's a good film here to be saved.
Old 18th July 2010, 09:40 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

It's such a shame that the visual giallo genius we knew as Dario Argento has seemingly been replaced by someone who looks the same but has none of the old magic from yesteryear. Imo the trail that was blazed with The Bird With The Crystal Plumage fizzled out after Opera.

I don't believe there's a chance the flame can be reignited either, unfortunately.
Old 18th July 2010, 10:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Have you seen it? It may well have had some interference, but it's still Dario's work and he directs with little flair and Adrien Brody just looks confused. When we did finally get to see the face of the killer I nearly wet myself laughing - I've never seen such a ridiculous villain. Producer's interference or not, I really don't think there's a good film here to be saved.
Directs with little flair?
Just tell me what kind of a movie you could do if you had the producers bitchin´you in every scene.

Adrien Brody just looks confused?
Answer above

Giallo is not a good movie because of the producers fault.
Dario Argento imself was shocked when he saw the final edit.
Old 18th July 2010, 10:44 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Probably a silly question but I'm wondering if there's anyone who has seen that film who didn't know who played Giallo?
Old 18th July 2010, 05:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Directs with little flair?
Just tell me what kind of a movie you could do if you had the producers bitchin´you in every scene.

Adrien Brody just looks confused?
Answer above

Giallo is not a good movie because of the producers fault.
Dario Argento imself was shocked when he saw the final edit.
You can defend Argento all you like - but it's not as if Giallo was Argento's first bad movie, is it? He's been on a downward trend for quite some time, so no-one was really expecting Giallo to be a work of genius.

I'm a huge Argento fan, but I'm also not blind to his recent shortcomings and I will not defend him when he makes something bad. The producers didn't hassle him all the way through the film, they were only responsible for interfering with the final edit, which Argento didn't like (that's according to a recent interview with Argento). So why didn't he supervise? Is his reputation so bad now that he doesn't have the necessary clout to demand that he oversee his own work? Who knows. As it stands, everything you see on the screen is what Argento filmed, so there's no getting away from that. Yes, the edit was probably badly handled, but who knows what material they had to work with? Maybe this was the best that could be mustered from what Argento gave them. Again, who knows - maybe we never will.
Old 18th July 2010, 08:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
You can defend Argento all you like - but it's not as if Giallo was Argento's first bad movie, is it? He's been on a downward trend for quite some time, so no-one was really expecting Giallo to be a work of genius. I'm a huge Argento fan, but I'm also not blind to his recent shortcomings and I will not defend him when he makes something bad.
First, i´m not defendind anyone. I´m just stating the obvious from what I´ve read from various interviews. It´s normal when you say something, that something is then applied as a whole.

Never mind... I respect your opinion...

Quote:
The producers didn't hassle him all the way through the film, they were only responsible for interfering with the final edit, which Argento didn't like (that's according to a recent interview with Argento). So why didn't he supervise? Is his reputation so bad now that he doesn't have the necessary clout to demand that he oversee his own work? Who knows. As it stands, everything you see on the screen is what Argento filmed, so there's no getting away from that. Yes, the edit was probably badly handled, but who knows what material they had to work with? Maybe this was the best that could be mustered from what Argento gave them. Again, who knows - maybe we never will.
The producers hassle him way more that in the final edit. I can tell you without revealing my sources that about 60% that what we see on screen was shot by Argento. If only you could see some of the stuff that he planned to do but was "forced" fo ignore.

Sorry I don´t say more but It could be my work on the line here...
Old 18th July 2010, 08:04 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Safe to say though gents we'd all love for Argento to be making better films but I always hold out hope of one more fling from the master. If not he has a hell of a legacy we can enjoy.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Absolutely, Almar. My frustration is borne more out of the fact that I really, really want to see Argento back on form.

Springjack: I respect your opinion, too and I mean no disrespect. You obviously know more about what happened behind the scenes than I do. But you also have to understand that people like myself can only respond to what we're presented with. I watched Giallo in the form that it's been made availble to the public - I can therefore only respond to that. Whilst I sympathise with Argento's plight, the film that's been offered to consumers is truly dire, and that's what I'm reacting to. And it's what others will react to, as well. Expect more bad reviews as time goes on. This film will do Argento no favours, however it came about.
Old 20th July 2010, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I think I'm one of the few people who really enjoyed the Card Player ... but okay, I watched it before many of the other Argentos and yeah, it's not in the same league but still a very enjoyable thriller.

Speaking of Giallo, would you consider releasing it in the Arrow Video series, would go well with all the other Argentos present 8)

Like this? Share it using the links below!