Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:50 AM
Seasoned Cultist

What about cuts to DEEP RED for animal cruelty? Why can't Arrow just release them unapproved? I'm in the US, so I guess my understanding of things like this is limited.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
We are hard at work on new extras for Deep Red and Tenebrae now and Play has not listed everything - expect more!

Sounds good. I love those film!
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

If Deep Red gets an uncut Blu release I'll...well I'm not sure what I'll do but I'll be very happy.

I'm glad to hear that Inferno is a definite Blu release. The more Argento, the better!
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Yeah my fingers are crossed that these are uncut.
Old 22nd May 2010, 06:50 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
What about cuts to DEEP RED for animal cruelty? Why can't Arrow just release them unapproved? I'm in the US, so I guess my understanding of things like this is limited.
Unfortunately,unlike the US where you can release a dvd/blu-ray unrated,it's illegal to release them over here without BBFC approval,so it's never going to happen.All we can do here is keep our fingers crossed that they don't get cut.
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
Unfortunately,unlike the US where you can release a dvd/blu-ray unrated,it's illegal to release them over here without BBFC approval,so it's never going to happen.All we can do here is keep our fingers crossed that they don't get cut.
It seems stupid to even think that those scenes would be cut. I hope they remain in the films.
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

All this wonderful talk of Arrow issuing vintage Argento output on U.K. DVD and hopefully BR is music to my (and i believe many others here!) ears. It's great to know that Inferno is just the start and there's more Dario delights on the way. Count me in for new and improved U.K. copies of all old school Argento mayhem!

If the terrific terror titles mentioned earlier are uncut then i'll have the BR versions as well as the DVD variants. However, any snipped releases i may just stick with on DVD. I could always have a rethink, change my mind at a later date and buy the BR edition too, though!

Sorry to go off topic for a mo, Almar. But is your '80s horror fave actually the superb Vamp?
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Sorry to go off topic for a mo, Almar. But is your '80s horror fave actually the superb Vamp?
I was thinking that it might be Lifeforce.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:01 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
I was wondering about that too. The previous DVD had a re-framed version and an uncut version that wasn't looked at by the British censors.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:05 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
It'll be interesting to see how this will fare with the BBFC today.
I was thinking the same thing vince.

Looking at the law on Animal Cruelty in films it states:

The Cinematograph Films
(Animals) Act 1937

It is illegal to show any scene
‘organised or directed’ for the
purposes of the film that involves
actual cruelty to animals. This Act
applies to the exhibition of films
in public cinemas but the BBFC also
applies the same test to video works.
For the purposes of this legislation
and The Animal Welfare Act 2006, only
vertebrates which are domesticated
or otherwise under the control of man
are defined as ‘animals’.

In the case of Deep Red, the famous 'pin in the lizard scene' falls under the vertebrate category (which is why snakes have such a bad time), but the 'domesticated or otherwise under the control of man' statement doesn't seem to fit the lizard scene (to me). The 2006 Animal Welfare amendment to the law, looks to me like it was brought in to clarify on the vagueness of the 1937 law, but it is still open to inference imo.

I'd say Inferno will have a bigger problem than Deep Red, IF it is of the opinion that the cat and mouse scene is staged.

Like this? Share it using the links below!