Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2010, 04:39 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

We do plan to put the clip online so people can judge for themselves. It is annoying but I would say out of any seconds that I can live without those are fine by me to go but I despair with some of the mainstream nastiness getting through and then this gets targetted!
Old 25th May 2010, 04:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Look this cut is all levels of ass (and utterly backwards) but let's be fair here:

You're missing five seconds of a flipping cat eating a mouse. Inferno can live without it and, in the long and short of things, I could care less.

I still cannot wait for the blu ray edition.

However, the BBFC need to get a freaking perspective: if they'd like to come visit my mum's they'll see what her cat does to birds, mice and voles. If someone films their pet python eating a mouse does this mean they are contravening the law?

Utterly stupid. This is honestly the dumbest cut I have ever come across. Ever.
Completely agree with you, Calum. I'll still pick it up on Blu-ray (hey - it's not like we've never double-dipped before and I'll grab an uncut international Blu when it inevitably comes out) because...and this might sound like a strange reason, but it's the law of economics - the more Arrow sell the more we're likely to get from them. At the end of the day, if shelling out a relatively measly tenner or so for this keeps the goodies flowing and keeps Calum, Almar etc in work, then I'm all for supporting this.

But....my biggest fear comes not from us staunch supporters on here, but farther afield. Once words gets around that the BBFC have cut it, there's going to be a lot of folks who won't see past the 'it's cut by the BBFC'. Some people don't really care what or why something is cut, it's a censored version and some people just won't go for that. Hopefully with this title getting shelf space at HMV a lot of casual buyers will give it a punt and (probably) will really like it and (probably) will have no idea a tiny scene has been removed.

It'll be interesting to see the reactions on other forums. Like I've said before, cuts like this are unnecssary and don't change a thing - I really do feel the BBFC should have a scale of seriousness for things like this. Every day I can tune into Nat Geo channel and see animals attacking and eating each other. So something like this is utterly backwards and nonsensical.

Are Arrow going to appeal it or bite the bullet? Will this in any way affect the prospect of a Blu-ray if they have to render cuts to it..?

Last edited by Daemonia; 25th May 2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 25th May 2010, 04:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

such a shame.

Will need to think about it now and compare it to price of uncut release and see if mouse being eaten is worth paying extra for

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 25th May 2010, 04:52 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

We'll package in a dead mouse! Your point is very good though Daemonia - Chinese whisper style this could just turn into - 'it's cut' with no one knowing it's the 5 seconds we can live without so if anyone is on other forums etc please do put people right - it'll still be an amazing release.
Old 25th May 2010, 04:59 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Are Arrow going to appeal it or bite the bullet?
Personally I wouldn't recommend that Arrow bothers with an appeal. There would be no point whatsoever and it would just be a waste of their money.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'll still be picking this up, but will keep my BU DVD just in case I feel the need to see 5 seconds of cat eating mouse footage.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Completely agree with you, Calum. I'll still pick it up on Blu-ray (hey - it's not like we've never double-dipped before and I'll grab an uncut international Blu when it inevitably comes out) because...and this might sound like a strange reason, but it's the law of economics - the more Arrow sell the more we're likely to get from them. At the end of the day, if shelling out a relatively measly tenner or so for this keeps the goodies flowing and keeps Calum, Almar etc in work, then I'm all for supporting this.

But....my biggest fear comes not from us staunch supporters on here, but farther afield. Once words gets around that the BBFC have cut it, there's going to be a lot of folks who won't see past the 'it's cut by the BBFC''. Some people don'y really care what or why something is cut, it's a censored version and some people just won'y go for that. Hopefully with this title getting shelf space at HMV a lot of casual buyers will give it a punt and (probably) will really like it and (probably) will have no idea a tiny scene has been removed.

It'll be interesting to see the reactions on other forums. Like I've said before, cuts like this are unnecssary and don't change a thing - I really do feel the BBFC should have a sacle of seriousness for things like this. Every day I can tune into Nat Geo channel and see animals attacking and eating each other. So something like this is utterly backwards and nonsensical.

Are Arrow going to appeal it or bite the bullet? Will this in any way affect the prospect of a Blu-ray if they have to render cuts to it..?
Well said. Guess we now have to wait and see how I Spit on Your Grave does too.

Honestly, I can't fathom the reason for cutting the cat eating the mouse. Now, if you're asking me about the animal slaughter in Men Behind the Sun or Cannibal Holocaust... well, yeah, that's proper "animal cruelty" but A CAT EATING A MOUSE?

Are they nuts?

I could care less if the mouse was fed to the cat either!! That's what cats do. They catch and eat mice. My old cat (much missed) once chewed one in half right in front of me. I still remember mopping up the entrails. I didn't punish him for it though!! He's a fricking cat!

If the BBFC want to see animal cruelty I seriously recommend they go into any factory farm or take a nice surprise visit to Huntingdon Life Sciences.

It really bothers me that they are wasting time cutting out a cat chomping down on its lunch instead of doing something progressive when it comes to animal welfare.

HOWEVER...

All that said, we still have a MEGA edition of INFERNO on Blu Ray, the cut IS minor and I'm pretty sure it won't deter anyone from buying this classic on HD. After all, this is still by far the most extravagant edition to date and, even better, we have MORE goodies lined up for Deep Red including a special little surprise I think you'll all like.

Onwards and upwards, although if anyone can be bothered I do urge you to drop the BBFC a nice, kind, well written note explaining how silly this cut to Inferno is.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I wont be getting the BU edtion, instead I'll sit in my back garden and wait for one my cats to catch a mouse.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 25th May 2010, 05:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've emailed the BBFC expressing my disdain and asking how they can justify it.

Quote:
Hi there

I have just read that the recently submitted Inferno for DVD and Blu-ray has been cut. The cut concerns a scene where a cat eats a mouse. I'm a little confused as to why this has been cut. I understand that you apply the Cinematograph Act (Animals) to home video presentations (even though there is no law that says you have to, merely a policy set out by yourselves - but that's a policy, it's not a law, the law applies only to films for public exhibition, I believe). Now this law is in respect of the mistreatment of animals in the course of making a film. However, how is filming a cat doing what it would naturally do in the wild (and why some cat owners buy a cat in the first place) considered animal cruelty? A cat would, instinctively, capture a mouse and kill it - often tormenting it also in the process. Should the cat be charged with animal cruelty or the filmmakers?

I'm baffled. I think most people agree that the barbarity and severity of the abuse heaped on animals in some of the Italian cannibal films and the so-called Mondo films should be excised - but an animal killing an animal when it would do so in its natural environs anyway? That's just daft, in my opinion. A cut like this will severely damage sales of this niche title for a niche label that relies on its fanbase - a fanbase that, as you know, are very critical of censored works, especially from a director as well-regarded as Dario Argento.

Could you please explain to me the rationale that governed the reasoning behind making a ridiculous censorship cut like this.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 25th May 2010, 05:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
I think it's time we took the wraps off Artwork panel 3 for the Inferno DVD and Blu-ray - Behold the Spanish artwork!

Loving that artwork. Good choice for panel three.

Just out of curiosity, do you have a team assembled who choose what alternative artwork panels to use? Or is it just based solely on what material you have available?

Like this? Share it using the links below!